1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

How can I pull myself out of this self-induced rut?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by robbie, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Biscotti

Biscotti Senior member

I always love the fresh perspective fuuma puts on things.

2. Epanoui

Epanoui New Member

Find something you love. Do the shit out of it.

3. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

Out of money, faith, and love, money is the least important and easiest to figure out. You've got the second and third well in hand, so I'd say you're ahead of the curve.
    Bollocks to the haters and mouth-breathing degenerates.

PS Give journalism a thought.

4. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

Ahh, to be young, naive, and stupid again....

5. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

Ahh, to be young, naive, and stupid again....

2 out of 3 ain't bad.

6. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

2 out of 3 ain't bad.

at least it's good to know I can always count on you...

7. Matt

Matt Senior member

PS Give journalism a thought.

why?

Very very very rapidly shrinking industry at the institutional level, crappy pay, and every second kid who thinks he can write wants to enter it. Exploding ciizen media industry of minimal credibility and near-impossible monetisation.

I can think of very few less attractive fields to be entering at the moment.

8. bluemagic

bluemagic Senior member

Why not enter the ministry? You are not a Catholic, so you can be married and still a minister, right?

9. robbie

robbie Senior member

Why not enter the ministry? You are not a Catholic, so you can be married and still a minister, right?

yeah, most Protestant denominations prefer (...require) you to be married in order to become an ordained minister IME.

It isn't completely out of the question, I definitely want my beliefs to be a part of my career... but I don't know if full-time ministry is something I am spiritually capable of at this point. I could do it, but I would to create what I feel would be a 'blind leading the blind' situation.

I don't remember if I have mentioned this yet or not. But I am going back to study journalism. I have 3 semesters of Journalism, and 2 of Education and hope that with what I have from that I will be able to finish a degree in journalism with an emphasis in photo-journalism sometime between now and 2012. I have minimal debt to pay off (less than 1k) in order to get my transcripts from the last school I attended. With work how it is now I am not able to make the double and up payments I was making in the past.

Hopefully by September I will be able to enroll and get some more school under my belt.

I think I have gleaned the advice I need, so umm we can all be done with this thread.

robbie

10. West24

West24 Senior member

i dont get you people who think you should know what you want right away. have you never been in the arts community or even look at the baby boomers. 90% of the people in the arts community dont know what the fuck theyll be doing but do little projects live life day to day and just get by doing what they love etc. in the end many of them end up being successful in something and have amazing stories to tell about their crazy life when theyre older. all those flower power hippies and baby boomers were doing shit and living life and now many of them are the yuppies living in upper middle class suburbs etc. if you were 34 and writing this id be worried, but at 23 you have time.

11. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

it goes fast though. i've been asking myself the op's question for 10 years-i'm 33

12. West24

West24 Senior member

it goes fast though. i've been asking myself the op's question for 10 years-i'm 33

yeah but you can always fall back on your out of this world bj skillz, i dont know if robbie can.

13. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

You could always be a dumbass and go to gemmology school.

14. West24

West24 Senior member

You could always be a dumbass and go to gemmology school.

or you could just bake muffins and cakes for the rest of your life.

15. username79

username79 Senior member

Your are a waste of fresh air and an epic failure as a human being. There is no way your job, ideas and interests are anything but boring trash. You are the definition of stupidity. You'll transmit your second rate values and limited outlook on life to your children, unleashing a new generation of morons into the world. Please kill yourself now, the only use the world has for you is as fertilizer. Did I mention I hate you? I hate you.
    [​IMG]
    slow clap
    Fuuma, the 19 year old guy whos life choices are between living with his mom or becoming a hobo and Target's stockist of the month both agree with you. Impressive. I suppose someone's got to stand up for failure. [​IMG]

16. robbie

robbie Senior member

I like how you think all I do at Target is stock shelves.

17. username79

username79 Senior member

I like how you think all I do at Target is stock shelves.

I was being purposely facetious.

18. Nouveau Pauvre

Nouveau Pauvre Senior member

19. Jekyll

Jekyll Senior member

Maybe trying a novel perspective would benefit you.

http://www.meetup.com/omahaatheists/

This is a good idea. I'm an atheist and I've gone to church with my family a number of times. In fact, I know many atheists who have been to church. It would be good if Christians would reciprocate.

20. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

Fuuma, the 19 year old guy whos life choices are between living with his mom or becoming a hobo and Target's stockist of the month both agree with you. Impressive.

I suppose someone's got to stand up for failure. [​IMG]

Who are you to define failure anyway?

Now I have no idea why you'd be opposed to my post as I acted following the general pattern that you used in this thread; instead of contributing something that could actually help a fellow posrer by employing appropriate tone and coming up with practical suggestions I merely stroked my ego by hurling a few insults that were sure to be badly received. I also extrapolated from a post or a few posts characteristics about the poster and decided those generalisations made him (you) a loser. Seems we're in the same school of posting so you should be glad you got an ally.