• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How can I prep Red Wing Iron Rangers for winter wear?

inkyoto

Reaction score
I have a pair of Iron Rangers on the way, and wanted to ask about how I would get these ready for wearing in the winter. Since it is obviously not a winter boot, I wanted to do something similar to this guy that got his IRs re-soled. So:

1. What should I get them re-soled with? Vibram half soles? I've heard the official Red Wing re-sole with the Beckman sole is OK but the Beckman sole isn't good for winter wear.
  2. Should I use LP? It's dark brown as it is and I don't want it to turn black, but I've heard LP might be useful.
  3. Any recs for cobblers that can do this kind of resole in NYC?

Since I live in NYC, it's not going to be intense winter wear, and of course I'll be allowing them to dry and putting shoe trees in.

Last edited:

SSingh1975

Reaction score
I have the 8119 incoming (IR with vibram soles from factory). My local dealer said they can now re-sole the non vibram IR's with the same sole. My charges about $95. They also said other than using mink oil, the boots are made for abuse.

I wouldn't really worry much, hoever. I bought my IR after seeing my bro-in-law abuse his 3 rd old IR to hell and back. His got a tow truck business and that's his 'work' boots. All season. Very impressive boots.

I once read on a IR review..."wear it like you hate it!"!

Last edited:

Yorker

Reaction score
Ive had my IRs for 5 years now. The only thing that is not great during winter is their traction. If you're on ice the soles turn into slippery nonsense. So, you can either get them resoled with grippy things, wear little clip on spikes, or just walk very carefully. Other than that use LP and be awesome.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads