1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

How can I move from Canada and live in the United States?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by iroh, Jun 5, 2011.

1. PorterInjax

PorterInjax Senior member

What about the other way around? Can anyone point me in the right direction of pros and cons for a US Citizen moving to Canada? My current employer is putting together a "package" for me in order to convince me that moving to Saskatchewan and opening/managing/running a new office up there is a good thing. What are the downsides? Can anyone point me to an accountant that can explain the tax implications/healthcare issues/other issues?

2. lefty

lefty Senior member

Have you been to Saskatchewan?

lefty

3. PorterInjax

PorterInjax Senior member

lefty

Nope. Have spent a lot of time in Vancouver and Toronto on biz over the years and realize that Saskatchewan is completely different. If I accept, it would be a means to an end and have to include travel back home every two weeks unless there are tax implications.

4. Kajak

Kajak Senior member

lefty

[​IMG]

Hey, at least its not Manitoba. Or the High North. Or Labrador.

5. fkl118

fkl118 Senior member

6. jefferyd

jefferyd Senior member Dubiously Honored

I got my SSN as a student in about a week, but I don't know if that's the same for everyone.

When you come to the US on a work visa you need to wait at least 10 days after entering the country to apply for the SSN or you won't show up in the system. Then it takes another few weeks to actually get it.

Protip: American Express will give you an American credit card based on your foreign (including Canadian) credit with them. I applied for some no-fee Canadian Amex, then immediately transferred it to an American Amex. They have a department just for global transfers.

I used to bank with HSBC Premier on the understanding that international banking would be easy. It wasn't. So I switched to RBC and that was much better- they set me up with credit and bank accounts but a car loan turned into a fiasco and I ended up being financed by the dealer at 11%!! [​IMG]

7. TheAssman

TheAssman Member

I'm special. See if you can figure it out.

Your avatar is just your name again?

8. Beetleything

Beetleything Senior member

Getting Canadian citizenship is actually pretty easy, you basically just apply. If you speak English (and hopefully some French), have a degree and seem employable, you're in.

100 % correct.

9. Bill Smith

Bill Smith Senior member

Considering what's going on, why do you want to move the US? Unless you're moving there to be close to someone you are madly in love with, don't.

10. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Considering what's going on, why do you want to move the US? Unless you're moving there to be close to someone you are madly in love with, don't.

Obama will be gone soon. It's okay.

11. intent

intent Senior member

This is wrong- most people who enter for work do so on a visa, not on a green card (an employment-based EB-1 green card is hard to get).

I read the OP again and I retract my apologies :p. He asked which way was the easiest to work in the US and gain citizenship.

H-1B, while dual intent, is no longer easy to transition to green card since they are so back-logged.

12. jefferyd

jefferyd Senior member Dubiously Honored

H-1B, while dual intent, is no longer easy to transition to green card since they are so back-logged.

So other than getting married, what do you think is easiest? (No sarcasm, I'm genuinely interested)

13. intent

intent Senior member

So other than getting married, what do you think is easiest? (No sarcasm, I'm genuinely interested)
    I'm not an immigration lawyer, nor should this be construed as legal advice. I also warn that my info may be outdated since I haven't kept track of new changes in the past year or so. Consult a specialized lawyer for real advice. Assuming OP is Canadian, I'd say getting work to apply for a green card for him (though having the H-1B as a safety net helps a lot, even if it's not as efficient nowadays) is the easiest. After that, I really don't know. Maybe he has family in the US. My point with the H-1B is that they always run out so it's hard to get in on the quota unless you work for a huge firm (those with over 15% of their workforce dependent on H-1B). Once you get it there's a huge backlog of others applying for the green card through that avenue. That in turn causes more H-1B renewals which make it even harder for others to get in. Ignoring the fact that he's not a professional, if he gets TN status he could also transition that into a green card (I-something form as well as EAD, IIRC), though it is a lot more riskier. It's easier nowadays after TN changed from 1 year to 3 years (to give him more time), but it's still risky since you can't apply for TN again after you have applied for residency once (you have shown your intent to not be a temp worker). On the other hand, once he gets his EAD he is free to switch jobs and employers. There's really no "easy" way short of marriage.