How can I manually distress my raw denim?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Alek, Jan 18, 2009.

1. pharrow59

pharrow59 Senior member

while ringring's advice is spot on, i have a strong suspicion that the op will overdo it. just wear them man.

2. Big Pun

Big Pun Senior member

Most of these suggestions are probably going to end up badly for you.

You bought raw denim. The purpose of raw denim is to wear them in GRADUALLY (yes, as in OVER TIME) and in most cases any attempts to speed up or manually alter the process winds up with inferior fading and disappointment.

If you can't be patient and wear the jeans as intended you should probably return them and buy a pair of pre-washed, pre-faded jeans.

+1
    Yeah it seems like a waste of money to buy raw denim for manual distressing.

3. PG2G

PG2G Senior member

Its just an experiment on a pair of STF, who cares. Its like $30, have some fun with them.

4. Flieger

Flieger Senior member

How can I get a nice cockfade?
    Will this involve hiring someone to rub it?

5. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

I think the most natural looking fades are gonna come fromwearing them.

ftfy

6. Big Pun

Big Pun Senior member

Its just an experiment on a pair of STF, who cares. Its like $30, have some fun with them.

Woops, I thought it read that he was doing it to Nudies. In that case, get creative with it.

7. erdawe

erdawe Senior member

jizz in your pants

8. LookSharp

LookSharp Well-Known Member

Give them to a tramp for a few weeks then buy them back with a bottle of cheap whiskey.

9. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

Nothin like STD fadezzz

10. Listi

Listi Senior member

Don't use sand paper just beat the shit out of them.

Tie them to the back of your car and drive around the block with them a few times, kick them as hard as you can with some boots, grind them into the pavement, make it like a whip and slap them against a brick wall, just be ridiculous to them and, whether or not they'll look good, they'll certainly look INTERESTING. And this is something I've always wanted to do. Be creative with other things too, roll them up and beat them with a bat, throw rocks at them, etc!

11. jim_n

jim_n Senior member

Nothin like STD fadezzz

oh shit std fades

12. ToruOkada

ToruOkada Senior member

+1 Yeah it seems like a waste of money to buy raw denim for manual distressing.
    There are companies in japan that custom distress japanese denim that are much much more nicer than a pair of levi's STFs. It seems like a very artistic and careful process. There's a video of Gordon from BiG visiting one of these places in a video floating around on SuFu. I don't have plans to do it myself but my opinion is that manually distressing denim can certainly result in a beautiful pair of jeans.

13. ToruOkada

ToruOkada Senior member

There are companies in japan that custom distress japanese denim that are much much more nicer than a pair of levi's STFs. There's a video of Gordon from BiG visiting one of these places in a video floating around on SuFu. I don't have plans to do it myself but my opinion is that manually distressing denim can certainly result in a beautiful pair of jeans.
    here is said video

14. robbie

robbie Pleading Poverty

i have always wanted to put something that would rust in a bucket of water, and then a pair of jeans in the rusty water to see if the rust color would transfer

or like, powdercoat a pair like you would say a truck bed and then try to break that shit in

15. Listi

Listi Senior member

i have always wanted to put something that would rust in a bucket of water, and then a pair of jeans in the rusty water to see if the rust color would transfer

This is actually a good idea. I'd imagine that you could rust some nails with vinegar or something, evaporate the vinegar, and then make yourself some very rusty water. Let the jeans sit out there for a week or two just soaking in it and I'm sure you'd get something interesting happening.