• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How can I make my leg hair less, uhh.... noticable?

Chasey

Reaction score
well, okay, see this is my problem: I'm extremely skinny for an 18 y/o, I'm like 5'9 and weigh 125 lbs. but the thing is, my upper body is really really skinny, and my legs are kind of big-ish in comparison to the rest of my body. what's even weirder is that even though I have dark brown hair, the hair on my arms is still blonde to extremely-light brown, and my legs are the only other place on my body (besides, you know, that other spot) that have dark brown to black hair. the fact that I feel like my legs are too big is enough to make me feel uncomfortable about my body being "disproportional," but they are so freaking hairy compared to my arms and everywhere else. I was on the swim team in high school but I won't be doing it in college (at least for my first year) so my legs were shaved for a big portion of the past few years. now that its grown out all the way, I've just been using an electric razor to trim it down to about an inch long every so often. but the hair is so dark and thick that it's just starting to become obvious that I'm buzzing it. so is there anything else I can do, like maybe trimming it and bleaching it very slightly (just so it's a little lighter) or am I just SOL? I mean, come on, there's gotta be something I can do :p but if I used just some cheap facial bleaching stuff, would it end up red? and is it even safe to use something like that over such a large area of my body? I also don't wanna shave them when I'm not swimming, because no offense to any guys that do, but I'm just not comfortable with that.
tongue.gif
well thanks

Young Scrappy

Reaction score
Trim it with a hair clipper with the 1 setting. I do it time to time. I actually do my whole body on that setting.

ts4them

Reaction score
I agree with Dick, do the laser if you have the money. It will result in a permanent reduction each time you do it. Hair grows in slower and lighter than before. I personally recommend the LightSheer diode.

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
Shaving your legs once every 3-4 months is easier than trimming them every month. I always miss too many spots when I try to trim them, so it's easier to get rid of it all.

Shaved/trimmed legs seems to be the norm rather than the exception among reasonably fitness-minded guys under 40 these days. Don't feel like you have to have "an excuse" (biking, swimming) to do it.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Wear pants.

I'd suggest chilling for now. At 18, your body is still developing, and the perceived disproportionality may become moot. (This is especially true since going to college likely will mean big changes in diet, exercise, etc. that could result in significant body changes.)
Besides, you may meet some women in college who find hairy legs really masculine and attractive.

Chasey

Reaction score
I totally forgot about laser, I was actually wondering what it could do about this before but I haven't though about it in a while. so if I did a few sessions (obviously not enough to make it stop growing completely), what would actually change? would the hair become lighter, finer, or what?

I like that idea though, I'm going to look into it. thanks.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think a nice tan on the legs, helps to mollify their hirsute state.

ts4them

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chasey
I totally forgot about laser, I was actually wondering what it could do about this before but I haven't though about it in a while. so if I did a few sessions (obviously not enough to make it stop growing completely), what would actually change? would the hair become lighter, finer, or what?

I like that idea though, I'm going to look into it. thanks.

Yes, the hair would grow in lighter and finer, there would also be fewer hairs as some are completely 'killed'. You shave the hair before each treatment, and do the treatments about 2 months apart. If you want to just lighten up the amount of hair, I think you'd be happy with about 3 treatments.

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
Laser can be very pricey and results are not guaranteed. Some people have ALL their hair grow back after laser treatments. Success rate varies by hair color.

cd1

Reaction score
honestly, i doubt there are many people, if any, who care that you have darker hair on your legs

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Wear pants.

I'd suggest chilling for now. At 18, your body is still developing, and the perceived disproportionality may become moot. (This is especially true since going to college likely will mean big changes in diet, exercise, etc. that could result in significant body changes.)
Besides, you may meet some women in college who find hairy legs really masculine and attractive.

+1

Don't shave your legs, man. There's a guy at my gym who does it and it just looks WAY feminine. I'm sure most women would find you more attractive with hairy legs than legs completely devoid of hair.

MunnyGuy

Reaction score
Clip it!!! Or as they call it now "Manscaping". Invest in a good pair of cordless clippers and hit it on setting 2 or 3. Do a very heavy spot. If you want more lower the setting accordingly!

You will really know if that special person in your life loves you when they will Trim your leg and ass hair that you cannot reach!
lol8[1].gif

A trim usually lasts me 3 to 4 weeks and does not look as feminine as a full on shave. Personally, I think only serious cyclers, swimmers and chicks can get away with full on shaving.
smack.gif

Chasey

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MunnyGuy
A trim usually lasts me 3 to 4 weeks and does not look as feminine as a full on shave. Personally, I think only serious cyclers, swimmers and chicks can get away with full on shaving.
smack.gif

yuuup, I agree, that's why I say I don't feel comfortable shaving them when I'm not swimming.

I guess for now I'll just stick with the trimming but I'm probably going to get the laser done soon. I'm going to make an appointment to speak with someone about it.

ts4them

Reaction score
Originally Posted by greg_atlanta
Laser can be very pricey and results are not guaranteed. Some people have ALL their hair grow back after laser treatments. Success rate varies by hair color.

Some places do guarantee a permanent 'reduction', so look for one of those maybe. The most successful combination is light skin w/ dark hair. I can only recommend the LightSheer diode, I've done shoulders/neck/chest with good results.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads