• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How can I lower my taste?

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I'm in a bit of a quandary. It seems my tastes are too refined and tested for the "real world." I'm looking for some tips to curtail my selective habits and up my stock with those around me. It just really irks me when I don't get compliments from strangers.

I've always tried to mimic my sartorial hero, Prime Minister Cameron. Unfortunately, I think that has led me astray (his combinations are just too refined). So lately I've tried loud ties, but chicks always demand that they "could be louder." I've been shopping around, comparing the carefully curated collections at Macy's and Men's Wearhouse. But I think I'm still missing something. Perhaps I should drop a band at J.A. Bank? Or does anyone have any Yoox codes? I just wish there was some sort of expert (you know, like someone who knows EVERYTHING THERE IS TO KNOW about VINTAGE Ray Bans) that I could turn to.

So, any ideas? Help!

EDIT: Perhaps my issue isn't with my clothes, though? Thinking about re-doing my kitchen to really kick the taste-level to the curb. Anyone have a guy?

bertie

Reaction score
Forget CM altogether - (although a "Leaving Las Vegas" final bender on clothes buying might be fun to watch in a train wreck kind of way - picture piling a dozen Stefano Ricci ties into a grocery cart followed by half a dozen Gucci loafers in the wrong size and you get the picture ).

No You need something that screams "here I am world" - you need a uniform. Chunky cardigan, track pants, billcream and a pair of Aldos. Get different colours and sizes to vary the look but stay focused.

You're welcome

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

...EDIT: Perhaps my issue isn't with my clothes, though? Thinking about re-doing my kitchen to really kick the taste-level to the curb. Anyone have a guy?
Fred49 say Wut?

:lurk:

bertie

Reaction score
Just had my kitchen done - pm me for details

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
General question: Should I be appreciating Allen Edmonds more?

bertie

Reaction score

General question: Should I be appreciating Allen Edmonds more?

Good question. Better question: why is AE not considered shoe p0rn? Perhaps if you answer the second question you will have insight into the first. Or perhaps not.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Remember when Foo went all "subjective"? I'm hoping bourbonbasted goes on a similar bender.
cheers.gif

Last edited:

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
Allen Edmonds are the BBWs of the shoe Appreciation world.

Last edited:

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I always thought that stood for big black woman. Turns out it doesn't.

bertie

Reaction score

Remember when Foo went all "subjective"? I'm hoping bourbonbasted goes on a similar bender. :cheers:

Except I thought Foo was serious. BB is obviously just admitting that CM is a Sisyphusian illusion and has provided anecdotal evidence from SF as proof.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
She's for the not-too-picky man. A little blobby, sure (I mean she is from Wisconsin), but those curves are sustainable. She'll get the job done.

Still, you better throw on a TOPY for protection. Never know if she's a second.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads