• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How can I fix this creasing on this pair of loafers?

SilverSurfer

Reaction score
As you can see, these have some creases across the front. Is there any way to fix this? Will leather lotion and shoe trees do the trick?

Margaret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer
As you can see, these have some creases across the front. Is there any way to fix this? Will leather lotion and shoe trees do the trick?

Do you really want to ask this group for opinions on what to do with those shoes?
smile.gif

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No. Creasing is inevitable unless your foot does not bend when you walk.

Using shoes trees and buying shoes made of better leather will keep creasing to a minimum.

SilverSurfer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Margaret
Do you really want to ask this group for opinions on what to do with those shoes?
smile.gif

Sorry, I haven't been around here long. What are they likely to say?

Margaret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Square-toed shoes (regardless of the cost or designer 'pedigree') are not particularly well-regarded among the posters here; they tend to be regarded as trendy, fashion-forward, and just plain unattractive. The emphasis here tends to be on classically-styled menswear.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
agreed that the style of the loafer wouldnt be to the majority's taste but the question did ask specifically about its creasing, rather than any opinions on the shoe's aesthetics
smile.gif

denning

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The loafers (to my untrained eye) appear to be of corrected grain leather. As such, they will crease, and maintain those creases much more severely than real leather, like calfskin would. I second the suggestion for shoe trees as it helps prevent those creases from forming in the first place. But for this particular pair I'm afraid there is not much to be done.

Margaret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
agreed that the style of the loafer wouldnt be to the majority's taste but the question did ask specifically about its creasing, rather than any opinions on the shoe's aesthetics
smile.gif

Yes, but it seemed only gentlemanly for me to alert him that his inquiry might not receive an outpouring of responses.

Had these been Lobbs or even AE's he'd have already received at least 3 pages worth of advice -- recommendations about the best shoe creams, the most finely crafted shoe trees, the "leather magician!" in Sheepsheads Bay, etc., etc..

tounge.gif

imainish

Reaction score
Actually, I own a pair of AE Slaytons. I really like them, keep them well polished and with shoe trees. I wear them infrequently and they have creased a little more than I would like. I'll take those suggestions now.
Thanks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 80 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads