• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

How can I claim VAT refund myself

Encore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, hope this topic is no too far away from this forum.

I was just about to pull my trigger on a pair of PS shoes and then realized they will not offer the VAT refund service for their customers.

They advised me that I can do it myself but I was able to find out how with my poor google skills.

Just wondering if anyone has such experience and don't mind sharing.

Thanks,
Encore

norMD

Reaction score
Hi everyone, hope this topic is no too far away from this forum.

I was just about to pull my trigger on a pair of PS shoes and then realized they will not offer the VAT refund service for their customers.

They advised me that I can do it myself but I was able to find out how with my poor google skills.

Just wondering if anyone has such experience and don't mind sharing.

Thanks,
Encore
Where are you buying from and shipping to?

I think it will be difficult to reclaim VAT from another country. It should be easier to find a seller who does this the right way from the start.

Encore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where are you buying from and shipping to?

I think it will be difficult to reclaim VAT from another country. It should be easier to find a seller who does this the right way from the start.
Thank you for your kind response, I was looking at a pair of mto shoes from Paolo Scafora website.

So buying from Italy and shipping to Canada

norMD

Reaction score
Ok.
Here is a guide to EU VAT claims. It sounds difficult. Maybe an MTO through skoaktiebolaget can scratch your itch?

Encore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok.
Here is a guide to EU VAT claims. It sounds difficult. Maybe an MTO through skoaktiebolaget can scratch your itch?
Man you are obvious a pro on this. Unfortunately, sko quoted 300 eur more than ps website, which make their exl vat price the same as ps’s vat price

norMD

Reaction score
Haha, i am better with Norwegian import taxes, but with import comes export and VAT refund. I always find it strange when someone offers int. Shipping but dont do VAT refund. I tend to look elsewhere.

Encore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haha, i am better with Norwegian import taxes, but with import comes export and VAT refund. I always find it strange when someone offers int. Shipping but dont do VAT refund. I tend to look elsewhere.
I totally agree, unfortunately their pricing is a bit too high in this case. (I forgot PS website provides a 10% discount on first purchase, which makes the difference larger)

haloitsme

Reaction score
Firstly vat refund is a pain in the ass. Secondly, better is to ask for a net price, without EU Vat. Much easier..

haloitsme

Reaction score
Hi, unfortunately the website doesn't offer VAT Refund service for customers, would you happen to know how I can do it myself?
Just write them a mail, for an adjusted vat free price. Include shipping Adresse (outside eu) and everyone can do this.
Have you bought the shoes already and paid?

haloitsme

Reaction score
but you have to imagine, when you pay vat in Italy, 22%, the total amount (1000 net, 1220 gross) 1220 is you basis of custom duties and taxes. You get taxed twice.

Encore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just write them a mail, for an adjusted vat free price. Include shipping Adresse (outside eu) and everyone can do this.
Have you bought the shoes already and paid?
Hi, thanks again for your kind response. I am sure what they meant is that they have to charge me full amount (1220 gross in your example). they would not charge me 1000 and claim this purchase is made from buyer outside of EU.

haloitsme

Reaction score
Hi, thanks again for your kind response. I am sure what they meant is that they have to charge me full amount (1220 gross in your example). they would not charge me 1000 and claim this purchase is made from buyer outside of EU.
Tell them :
VAT isn't charged on exports to countries outside the EU. In this case the VAT is paid in the country of import. You will need to provide evidence that the goods were exported to a country outside the EU.
If they don’t do this, contact :https://ec.europa.eu/consumers/odr/main/?event=main.home2.show
Here are the rule:

https://europa.eu/youreurope/business/taxation/vat/vat-rules-rates/index_en.htm

The issue is, it is for you almost impossible to reclaim vat from oversea, because you are not exporting. PS is Exporting, not you. If you arrange shipping it’s different story, but it is so much troubles, not really worth it. Or are you exporting multiple pairs?

In EU we have a Lot of Consumer rights, not like US

Chowkin

Reaction score
Tell them :
VAT isn't charged on exports to countries outside the EU. In this case the VAT is paid in the country of import. You will need to provide evidence that the goods were exported to a country outside the EU.
If they don’t do this, contact :https://ec.europa.eu/consumers/odr/main/?event=main.home2.show
Here are the rule:

The issue is, it is for you almost impossible to reclaim vat from oversea, because you are not exporting. PS is Exporting, not you. If you arrange shipping it’s different story, but it is so much troubles, not really worth it. Or are you exporting multiple pairs?

There are a growing number of UK retailers (e.g. Thomas Pink, Smythson) who do not offer VAT deductions for deliveries outside the EU claiming that they want to offer identical prices to everyone in the world. They have lost my patronage

BeaverCleaver

Reaction score
Tell them :
Here are the rule:

You're wrong about rights in the US.

As far as the VAT just make sure the co. deducts it or buy elsewhere because it would be impossible to get a refund later.
Many places will list the price and price ex VAT to US. Some places give free shipping to US as well.
And I wouldn't worry about US customs because anything under $800 is duty free.To be on the safe side split your order if it's over $800.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 57 17.6%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 109 33.6%
  • 8”

Votes: 96 29.6%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 36 11.1%
  • 9”

Votes: 13 4.0%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 7 2.2%