• We would like welcome Sprezzabox to the Styleforum family as an official Affiliate Vendor! SprezzaBox is a monthly subscription service for men, delivering a unique selection fashion and lifestyle accessories right to your doorstep.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

How Big Should a Winter Coat Be?

APK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm browsing for a couple new winter coats and am wondering how big they should be. Obviously you want to leave enough room for layering, but you don't want to be swimming in it. For instance, if I've got a 40-inch chest, what's the ideal chest measurement on the coat?

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
size down

size down

size down to a 38.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The question depends on too many factors to answer categorically. It's a question only trying on will answer.

Bam!ChairDance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've found that, when people advise you to "leave room for layering," they often don't think about how much room these other layers actually occupy. Certainly the size of a sweater and another shirt will add thickness to your body, but this is not the same as the difference between two clothing sizes. You'd be giving yourself all this additional room for garments that would only take up a fraction of that space. So wear something that fits. And only size down if the coat (say, Sterlingwear) has super goofy sizing. Look at the particulars of the coat first.

APK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm checking out eBay at the moment, which makes it more difficult than something I'd be able to try on first. I ask mostly because I've had jackets in the past that fit great everywhere but then felt too tight in the back when I extended my arms too much. I'm not opposed to slim fits, but don't want to do the Chris Farley "fat guy in a little coat" routine, either.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 77 17.1%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 149 33.1%
  • 8”

Votes: 133 29.6%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 50 11.1%
  • 9”

Votes: 20 4.4%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 9 2.0%