• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How big do you think this lapel width is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's either 3.5 or 3 3/4". judging by him it's 3.5 (if he's a 36) which is getting a bit wide these days for that size. This lapel has a half notch as well which makes it look more expressive.

teknique22

Reaction score

It's either 3.5 or 3 3/4". judging by him it's 3.5 (if he's a 36) which is getting a bit wide these days for that size. This lapel has a half notch as well which makes it look more expressive.

What is a half notch? And you mean that width is not in style now?

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bradley Cooper is definitely 3.5ish. No way it's smaller than that. I think Shia is 3.5 as well, but it looks bigger due to smaller jacket size (Cooper is 4 inches taller.)

For reference, this is a 3" lapel on a model who's probably around the same height as Cooper.

brooks-brothers-black-red-fitzgerald-plaid-suit-product-1-4107316-061389482.jpeg

teknique22

Reaction score

Bradley Cooper is definitely 3.5ish. No way it's smaller than that. I think Shia is 3.5 as well, but it looks bigger due to smaller jacket size (Cooper is 4 inches taller.)

For reference, this is a 3" lapel on a model who's probably around the same height as Cooper.

brooks-brothers-black-red-fitzgerald-plaid-suit-product-1-4107316-061389482.jpeg

Is 3.75in completely out of the question?

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's hard to say because it depends on the jacket size. I just measured about 5 jackets of different sizes. Most have 3.5" lapels, but proportionally, they look different depending on the size.

If this is any help, I took this photo for fit feedback. (Ignore the terrible shirt fit, was just the first thing I grabbed.)

This is a 52R jacket (Euro, so ~ 41R US sizing). It has 9cm/3.5" lapels.

I think it's possible that it's 3.75", based solely on visual estimate, but that doesn't mean 3.75" will look the same on you if you're a different size than he is.

Last edited:

teknique22

Reaction score

It's hard to say because it depends on the jacket size. I just measured about 5 jackets of different sizes. Most have 3.5" lapels, but proportionally, they look different depending on the size.

If this is any help, I took this photo for fit feedback. (Ignore the terrible shirt fit, was just the first thing I grabbed.)

This is a 52R jacket (Euro, so ~ 41R US sizing). It has 9cm/3.5" lapels.

I think it's possible that it's 3.75", based solely on visual estimate, but that doesn't mean 3.75" will look the same on you if you're a different size than he is.

Ah it would appear then the smaller chest you have the larger it would look...

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah it would appear then the smaller chest you have the larger it would look...
It's proportional that way. It's like... a normal sized hat looks tiny on Shaq. Shia is not, afaik, a very big guy, so the opposite holds. 3.5" is pretty standard. In any case, I would definitely listen to @David Reeves , who is a tailor by trade and owns a company that specializes in suiting.

Last edited:

teknique22

Reaction score

I'm in between at a 37. Should I go 3.5 or 3.75 to replicate? @la guy 3.5 is standard? I assume Shia is fairly normal or average and his lapels look wider than anything ive seen here

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm in between at a 37. Should I go 3.5 or 3.75 to replicate? @la guy 3.5 is standard? I assume Shia is fairly normal or average and his lapels look wider than anything ive seen here
A 37 is not a very large size.

I just looked up Shia's size, and apparently, is is 5'9" and about 155 lbs. That would put him at about a size 38. For context, I am 5'11", and when I weighed 155 lbs, I wore a size 38.

It seems pretty clear that you want large lapels. I would just go for it. 3.5 is standard for "normal" wide lapels, but if you want to be sure to get a larger lapel, go for the 3.75" and do a half notch, as recommended by @David Reeves . Are you working with a tailor, or are you doing this with a MTM program where you can't get great advice? If you are doing this with a tailor, go ahead and bring the picture in, and a good tailor will be able to cut a jacket so that you can get a similar look.

teknique22

Reaction score

A 37 is not a very large size.  

I just looked up Shia's size, and apparently, is is 5'9" and about 155 lbs.  That would put him at about a size 38.  For context, I am 5'11", and when I weighed 155 lbs, I wore a size 38.  

It seems pretty clear that you want large lapels.  I would just go for it.  3.5 is standard for "normal" wide lapels, but if you want to be sure to get a larger lapel, go for the 3.75" and do a half notch, as recommended by @David Reeves
.  Are you working with a tailor, or are you doing this with a MTM program where you can't get great advice?  If you are doing this with a tailor, go ahead and bring the picture in, and a good tailor will be able to cut a jacket so that you can get a similar look. 

I wear a 38 also but going MTM soon through Black Lapel. What do you mean by half notch?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wear a 38 also but going MTM soon through Black Lapel. What do you mean by half notch?
It's not a term I typically hear, but if you get a very slim lapeled suit, you'll often see a very small notch that has a very sharp horizontal "V". I've heard tailors refer to this as a "fishmouth" lapel because of the appearance. I would guess that the half notch lapel is somewhere between the nearly symmetrical V that you see on most notched lapel suits, and the fishmouth lapel.

That said, with an outfit like Black Lapel, I would doubt that they would offer that level of customization.

It seems that you have very specific desires. I don't know where you are located, but if you are anywhere near NYC, you might wish to consider going to Mr Ned's (http://mrnednyc.com/), with a picture of what you want. Vahram is an old school clothier (Wes Anderson reputedly gets his suits made here), and he'll tell you what's what and what is possible, without much fanfare, but that is probably your best chance of getting exactly what you want. Also, for hands on service, and a great deal of expertise, you are not going to get a much better price than he offers ($950).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads