• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

how badly is using a DE going to mess up my face?

oman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
for the last 2.5 years, Ive been shaving every other day using wilkinson sword blades fitted to some old-ass gillette handle I found in india

today i'm trying to court a girl, and this prompted me to - for the first time - shave twice in two consecutive days

if this is what the rhythm of life (daily shaving) is going to become, will my face get fucked up? i'm pretty sure even shaving every other day tends to **** up your face later in life...

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
IXNAY, oman. Unless you have Parkinson's or some such. Many of us shave every day with a various assortment of blades.

Always use sharp blades, plunk down a few ducats on a decent brush and a good shaving soap, and you'll never look back.

oman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ixnay? does that mean nothing?

i ran out of good shaving cream a few months ago and because i was roughing it in montreal at the time, i just bought the uhh, the terrible spray-on gillette gel stuff

the only positive thing about it is that if any of it gets into your mouth it just tastes like peppermint

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Ixnay - yes, means nothing. I used a DE with good results until I switched to a straight razor, and my face is better than ever. Well, it hasn't made me handsome or anything, but at least my face is clear!

I'm surprised you ran out of good cream. Most shavers usually have major back-up stock of creams and soaps through the injudicious use of acquisition disorders (shaving in-joke, sorry). Most places will ship anywhere, though Canada is notorious for their tight customs. Soaps should make it through.

Actually...Bath & Body Works sells re-branded Proraso cream in a tube (I forget the name) that's as good as anything you'll find, provided you like menthol.

Good luck with the shaving!

Eagle

Reaction score
People harm themselves (read that, "mess up their faces"), when they rush. While shaving, you really do want to take your time. You will have a much more pleasant experience, regardless of the type of blade used.
wink.gif

MCsommerreid

Reaction score
It's going to peel off all your skin and you'll be a skeleton man!

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MCsommerreid
It's going to peel off all your skin and you'll be a skeleton man!

Skeletor never had no stubble.

capnpyro

Reaction score
I use a DE about half the week and a gilette fusion about half the week. I use the DE when I need a close shave that shows no 5 o'clock shadow, is irritation free, and is going to leave me looking my best.

I use the fusion when I'm late for work.

The DE is time consuming to get it right with no nicks (figure ~10 minutes), you can't rush while using it.. I have and have paid the price. You also have to be aware of bumps on your skin, i've shaved entire pimples right off before, make sure you avoid those spots.

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i normally use a brush and fusion to shave. when i have to shave on consecutive days, i do the second shave in the shower with edge gel and really hot water.

just be sure to moisturize really well afterwards and you shouldn't have any problems.

oman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
guys i'm not talking about cutting myself. i know how to shave.

i'm talking about long-term roughening of the skin after years and years of daily shaving

forsbergacct2000

Reaction score
A lot of guys do it with no horrible effects.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oman
guys i'm not talking about cutting myself. i know how to shave.

i'm talking about long-term roughening of the skin after years and years of daily shaving

If the last few years is any guide, no effect at all. The last 18 months have been straight razor only, and my skin is smooth and flexible. No different from my forehead.

That said - I use a quality soap or cream (for slip and protection) and use witch hazel afterwards. That's it.

I could see roughening if you don't use good soap or cream and just scrape away with water. That would burn your skin up pretty good. Also if you skip the aftershave. Yeah, that might also hurt.

Note: if you go to a DE or straight - you don't use pressure. If you have major burn afterwards, you're doing it wrong.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I cannot understand the attraction of DEs. I used the damn things for 28 years--1954 to 1982, and have never had the slightest desire to go back to them after trying more modern designs.

Now. the straight razor I can understand. Mastering one is an elegant masculine accomplishment, and I've heard tell, once mastered, the shave they give is unmatched. I tried using one when I was 21--didn't cut myself, just didn't get a decent shave. I figure I am too old a dog to try again with one, especially given the inherent risks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads