how bad is a tuxedo w/ long tie?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by aybojs, May 3, 2006.

1. aybojs

aybojs Senior member

I have a formal event that I may be attending at the end of this week, and getting dressed is usually a very easy process since I pretty much stick to the basics. That was at least until I was going through my wardrobe and realized that I apparently left my bow tie home (several thousand miles away) on my last trip back. The campus mail service here is too slow for me to order something online or have my current one sent from home, the local store options are very mediocre, and honestly, as a student I just don't have $40-50 to spend on a minor accessory I'd only use once anyway.

I do have a black grenadine long tie that might be a decent substitute. It's a college event, so I'm sure I could get away with it, though I figured I'd post here and see what the consensus is on the viability of that look. For the record, my tuxedo is a double breasted one and my usual formal shirt choice is a basic white, spread-collar shirt with no studs.

2. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

That'll be fine. It's not ideal but at least you're not wearing a formal shirt, so the only "off" part will be the DJ.

3. coachvu

coachvu Senior member

Since it's a college event, I wouldn't worry about it. In general, though, the DB jacket with a long tie may leave too little shirt showing. It depends on how high the jacket buttons. More personal taste then a rule, I think.

4. Margaret

Margaret Senior member

If you think you can get away with it, then no problem.

I don't really care for the look -- to me it screams 'New Hollywood!'. But then again, I'm old and out of touch, so maybe it's more widespread among the young'uns than I would think. Personally, I'd try to borrow a bowtie -- given your admirable choice of collar, even the dreaded hook-together type of pre-tied bowtie would work. Know anyone in the campus choir? Any connections in the theater program's costume department?

But if you're not inclined to obsess about it, then just wear the grenadine, relax and have a good time. You'll probably still be better dressed than most of the men there.

5. Martinis at 8

Martinis at 8 Senior member

I wouldn't long-tie with a tuxedo unless the tie was designed to go with the tuxedo.

Ms. M8 and I went to see a Luis Miguel concert last Fall in Orlando. One of the outfits he wore was tuxedo with a long tie. It looked pretty good.

M8

6. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

Strictly speaking, long ties with evening wear are abominations. There's an edition of Deuteronomy that is quite explicit on that point. OTOH, you're at college, and there's going to be a lot of experimentation going on.

I still remember going to college "semi-formal" events dressed quite literally: dinner jacket/formal shirt/bowtie on top, and madras shorts/Top-siders on the bottom.

7. howbah

howbah Senior member

Most people will probably react like the posters above & think you're attempting some sort of college-age "experiment".
    So there's that to consider.

A long tie with a DB dinner jacket looks even worse than with a SB.

Just buy a new bow tie & go w/o food for a week. It'll make a great story in later years when you're taking some intern to lunch at Tavern on the Green.

8. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

Be very careful when putting on a grenadine tie with a dinner jacket not to answer the phone, it may be that girl from the Ring.

On the other hand, Chuck Norris would defeat her, Freddy Krueger, Jason, Alien AND Predator all with a few round house kicks to the head.

9. SGladwell

SGladwell Senior member

Several thousand miles or not, why not just have someone put your bowtie in a FedEx/DHL/UPS overnight envelope and mail it to your address? Then you'd look right and not have to deal with campus mail services.

10. jml90

jml90 Senior member

On the other hand, Chuck Norris would defeat her, Freddy Krueger, Jason, Alien AND Predator all with a few round house kicks to the head.
    Onced I saw Chuck do three round house kick and become air born
    Hence,what we call the helicopter was invented

11. Hanseat

Hanseat Senior member

I think just asking at the theatre department is a smart idea.

Oh, and I have done the look of a low-buttoning DB with a black tie (Marinella though). Let's just say if you're that age (18 turning 19 in a few days- so let's say about the same situation as the one you are in) women don't mind you wearing a long tie with a DJ as long as you have a pocket square and the rest looks 'right'. You'll be fashionable, but then what?

Great look for going out to a cocktail bar on a friday evening and going gambling (just 10 bucks or so, I usually lose about 3-4 bucks, so it's okay for a while of entertainment) with some guys. Ladies love it, though I personally am not so much in favor of the look. But then- in some situations they are the judges anyway.

Bottom line: Do what you're comfortable with (as your tux is probably correctly altered that makes a huge difference to the other guys as well)!

12. DGP

DGP Senior member

I actually think a long tie is better if you are wearing a white shirt w/o studs. If I were going formal in a regular white dress shirt, I'd want to hide the fact that it is a button front. I do, however, think the long tie looks best when worn with a single button, single breasted coat that has a notch, rather than peak lapel (hey, what a coincidence, that's what I wear [​IMG]). OTOH, with a DB jacket, or even a SB peak lapel, I would go bowtie.

13. aybojs

aybojs Senior member

Thanks for the general reassurance, everyone. I did try asking around, but with no luck (no theater connections either), so I'm just saying, "screw it" and doing the long tie, assuming I end up going. If I go, I'll post a pic of it... it obviously won't be ideal, but I put the combination together and I don't think it looks conspicuously off under normal standards.

I definitely agree with some of the concerns, like the DB jacket w/ long tie problem, but I'm broke and have to work with what I have. Funny thing is, though, if I had bought a new $40 bowtie, it would be the third most expensive piece of the outfit after the tuxedo and shoes (both of which cost ~$150 each). Don't worry, the tuxedo is fully canvassed, the shirt's Jantzen, the cufflinks vintage, and the shoes are C&J handgrades, so I think I'll be ok on those ends :p

14. Margaret

Margaret Senior member

One last shot: are you in a fraternity? Frats have formals and semi's all the time -- if you know anyone in a frat, they've GOT to have a brother who can lend you one... Not to make you nuts about this. Ok, I'm done now. [​IMG]

15. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

Onced I saw Chuck do three round house kick and become air born
    Hence,what we call the helicopter was invented

Pffft, I once saw him kill 30 Ninja Turtles with one Edward green willow calf lace up on the 666 last.

When the smoke cleared there wasnt even a scuff...

HUAAAAAAAAAAAH!