1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

how bad do these look?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by cheapmutha, May 22, 2006.

1. cheapmutha

cheapmutha Senior member

so i got bored one day this weekend, and took some sandpaper to my jeans. i think it turned out pretty good, but the honeycombs could def. be better. front:[​IMG] close up:[​IMG] back:[​IMG] honeycombs:[​IMG] patch:[​IMG] wearing[​IMG]

2. sonick

sonick Senior member

honeycombs aren't half bad, as is the rear pocket. not a fan of the whiskering, though.

3. cheapmutha

cheapmutha Senior member

cant take credit for the pocket, thats all natural wear... ive worn these for a month, but after being forced to wash twice i was giving up on breaking them in. the whiskers i followed the wear that was already coming thru, same with the honeycombs.

4. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

Pretty nice for sandpaper but they're noticeably flat. Just compare the pocket to the other wear marks. It looks a lot better.

5. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I don't do this anymore; but I've found that the west way to get wear whiskering that looks much more natural, artificially, is to wet the jeans while wearing them, and while still wearing them, just keep on rubbing a damp cloth lengthwise over you thighs. Accentuate the whiskers by going over them individually, like you are doing Chinese calligraphy. You get both natural looking whiskers and a natural looking fade on your thighs. Do the same behind the knees, but side to side.

More time consuming than sandpaper, but the results are much better, ime.

6. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

Another way to get good wear (but not whiskering) is to throw yourself into a gravel pit or stony beach. Give yourself a little forward momentum and slide on your knees. It'll hurt but the bloodstains will look especially cool. After all you're supposed to live in your jeans. Your skin should die in them, too.

I am only half-joking.

7. Spencer Young

Spencer Young Senior member

What brand are they/did they start off raw/unwashed?

8. PG2G

PG2G Senior member

I don't do this anymore; but I've found that the west way to get wear whiskering that looks much more natural, artificially, is to wet the jeans while wearing them, and while still wearing them, just keep on rubbing a damp cloth lengthwise over you thighs. Accentuate the whiskers by going over them individually, like you are doing Chinese calligraphy. You get both natural looking whiskers and a natural looking fade on your thighs. Do the same behind the knees, but side to side.

More time consuming than sandpaper, but the results are much better, ime.

That's what I did with my RRDS when I got tired of them (bought them too large). Didn't want anything too drastic though

9. j

j Senior member Admin

They look a lot like a pair of 517s I did the same thing to a long time ago. The sandpaper wear doesn't look very realistic IMO, but I am wondering if a bunch of washes to fade them overall might help that.

10. Flame

Flame Senior member

What brand are they/did they start off raw/unwashed?
    RRL bootcut. Cheapmofo, correct me if I'm wrong.

11. Max

Max Senior member

Looks fake.

12. cheapmutha

cheapmutha Senior member

rrl authentic, not boot cut. its a vintage fit, higher rise, straight leg.

13. tweedlesinpink

tweedlesinpink Senior member

Not keen on the hige, but i like the combs. Overall not a bad result. [​IMG]

14. beefcake

beefcake Senior member

After all you're supposed to live in your jeans. Your skin should die in them, too.

I am only half-joking.

You can't make me laugh whem I'm trying to secretly surf at work! [​IMG]

I've started to mess up my SSDS's. S's'. I'll try the damp cloth thing + a little bleach salt tonight!

The good thing is that if I mess up, I'll have to buy new jeans. And that's alot of fun. It's really a win-win situation.

15. cheapmutha

cheapmutha Senior member

i went over the thighs and seat a little more. less of a stark contrast now between the whiskers and the rest of the leg. i plan on doing alittle more, ill post when im happy with the results, or when they are ruined.

i have to say that the denim on these is beautiful, moreso than i thought when i bought them.

16. denimdestroyedmylife

denimdestroyedmylife Senior member

CM----Last night I dreamt that you are supposed to sand whilst the jeans are wet. Not sure that is useful information, but there it is. Getting impatient for "real" hige, huh? Or is this a cry for help, a la "cutting", Sassy-magazine-style? [​IMG]

17. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

I think if you rub denim on denim you will get more realistic wear. After all that's where the honey combs and crotch wear comes from.

18. cheapmutha

cheapmutha Senior member

not getting impatient... just intrested in the process. im more interested in making and finishing my own clothes than i am wearing jeans 6 months without washing. i also have more dark, non distressed jeans that i can wear out(vintage wranglers, scovill zipper and indigo that is darker than raw stf, is next in line). i want to know about the process of design from begining to end, and this is part of it.

19. Max

Max Senior member

Basically there's no substitute for the real thing. Just get a pair of jeans that fits nicely and wear them a lot.

20. cheapmutha

cheapmutha Senior member

wow... great advice max. thanks, i never thought of that. when should i wash them? should i starch? are they fake?