• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

"How are you?" and other meaningless niceties...

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there anything more annoying than when someone asks "How are you?" and then pretty much cuts you off when you barely started to answer? Sometimes "niceties" are the most annoying thing in the world.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Yes. It's so annoying to me when people try to be kind. Ugh. Fuck off, asshole! Why would you even bother asking me how I'm doing?!

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^Exactly.
No one cares about me or anyone else.
Screw everone.

Bah humbug.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
People are poopyheads.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
elevator banter. hate it. almost as annoying to me as a sonofa***** trying to strike up a conversation at a urinal.

But when someone asks how youre doing...they aint askin for a life story of all of your sorrows. When they interrupt you or walk away, it means you should have STFU earlier.

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Naahhhh.... I mean garbage like this:

Them: How are you?
Me: I'm goo-
Them: Hey I blah blah blah...

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DerekS
elevator banter. hate it. almost as annoying to me as a sonofa***** trying to strike up a conversation at a urinal.

I always talk to people at urinals. I find it polite to say things like "How's the flow these days?" or "Oooooh, nice" to show people I care. In another thread, Ed mentioned blasting farts at the urinals, and I agree with him that that's just rude. Still, a quick pat on the back or hand on the shoulder shows support and warmth.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How I loathe the elevator. Why do we feel so compelled to converse here? I'm either barely awake heading into the office or trying to forget the workday leaving the office. I don't want to talk to anyone.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher
I always talk to people at urinals. I find it polite to say things like "How's the flow these days?" or "Oooooh, nice" to show people I care. In another thread, Ed mentioned blasting farts at the urinals, and I agree with him that that's just rude. Still, a quick pat on the back or hand on the shoulder shows support and warmth.

hahahaha. funny. maybe a playful tap on the ass as well?

Mark from Plano

Lifestyle change - no homo
Reaction score
maybe a playful tap on the ass as well?

No. Some people take that as too dismissive to be truly personal.

Unless of course you add a little squeeze in there.

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some of the sounds I hear coming from stalls every day I'm like "what the hell is it that normal people are eating to make these horrible noises?" I really wonder if HCFS and McDonalds produce some sloppy stools.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
No. Some people take that as too dismissive to be truly personal.

Unless of course you add a little squeeze in there.

very nice. add to that a gentle whisper in the ear....something like..."I love how those D&G slacks accentuate your musclarly toned boo-tay"

60% of the time, this works everytime.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AntiHero84
How I loathe the elevator. Why do we feel so compelled to converse here? I'm either barely awake heading into the office or trying to forget the workday leaving the office. I don't want to talk to anyone.
I also hate people who feel compelled to talk on elevators and planes. I'm perfectly fine in silence, and prefer that it stays that way.

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 11 12.8%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 27 31.4%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • 31 - 40

Votes: 8 9.3%