• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How are these BOOTS???

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not a fan of engineer boots..otherwise Frye's are solid.

nastyandy

Reaction score
I have a pair of engineer boots, and I like them, but they are very heavy and rugged. You can't wear them with narrow hems or some straight leg cuts, but they look great with a bootcut. Don't tuck your jeans into them, it would look horrendous.

Frye makes exceptional boots, so if you like heavy motorcycle boots, they are a fine choice.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I do think the heel is too tall. They're clunky overall, but adding the heel on top of that would probably make you feel like you're wearing platform shoes.

But, I agree with the others, it would be difficult to pull off wearing these. Of course, this is coming from somebody who owns a pair of shiny black patent leather boots...

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like engineers, but I personally find Frye's heels to be a bit much.

tangerine

Reaction score
I used to have a pair of Chippewa engineer boots, I wore the hell out of them and loved them. They are heavy as hell, though, and if you are not used to that heel, it does feel high.

They are a bit heavy and chunky for the current gestalt I guess, though it sounds pretentious to say that.

Anyway, I think they go fine with any jeans that fit comfortably over them. Wear a white tee shirt and a black leather biker jacket like an old school perfecto or cafe racer to complete the Brando look. Or, wear them with a neon green or pink polo and get ready for some stares (and possibly confrontation.)
wink.gif

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
huh, I'm surprised to see so many dislike of these boots. To me they look like classic engineer boots, which I like more than the square toed harness boots. I was kinda expecting to see some weird Edward Scissorhands strapped/buckled boots. Like Tangerine said, I think Chippewa makes a nicer engineer boot tho...definitely has a nicer sole than the Frye.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree about that. But I wish Chippewa didn't brand their logo on the side.

theshonen8899

Reaction score
I don't like em..
I can't really explain why but they just irritate me to heck.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads