• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

How are these BOOTS???

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not a fan of engineer boots..otherwise Frye's are solid.

nastyandy

Reaction score
I have a pair of engineer boots, and I like them, but they are very heavy and rugged. You can't wear them with narrow hems or some straight leg cuts, but they look great with a bootcut. Don't tuck your jeans into them, it would look horrendous.

Frye makes exceptional boots, so if you like heavy motorcycle boots, they are a fine choice.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I do think the heel is too tall. They're clunky overall, but adding the heel on top of that would probably make you feel like you're wearing platform shoes.

But, I agree with the others, it would be difficult to pull off wearing these. Of course, this is coming from somebody who owns a pair of shiny black patent leather boots...

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like engineers, but I personally find Frye's heels to be a bit much.

tangerine

Reaction score
I used to have a pair of Chippewa engineer boots, I wore the hell out of them and loved them. They are heavy as hell, though, and if you are not used to that heel, it does feel high.

They are a bit heavy and chunky for the current gestalt I guess, though it sounds pretentious to say that.

Anyway, I think they go fine with any jeans that fit comfortably over them. Wear a white tee shirt and a black leather biker jacket like an old school perfecto or cafe racer to complete the Brando look. Or, wear them with a neon green or pink polo and get ready for some stares (and possibly confrontation.)

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
huh, I'm surprised to see so many dislike of these boots. To me they look like classic engineer boots, which I like more than the square toed harness boots. I was kinda expecting to see some weird Edward Scissorhands strapped/buckled boots. Like Tangerine said, I think Chippewa makes a nicer engineer boot tho...definitely has a nicer sole than the Frye.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree about that. But I wish Chippewa didn't brand their logo on the side.

theshonen8899

Reaction score
I don't like em..
I can't really explain why but they just irritate me to heck.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 30 3.7%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 142 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 266 32.5%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 130 15.9%
  • 31 - 40