• We would like to welcome Ratio Clothing as an official Affiliate Vendor. Ratio Clothing specializes in American-made custom shirts offered at a fair price with guaranteed perfect fit. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

How are 1997 California Cabernets cellaring?

Alexis

Reaction score
How are the 1997 California Cabernets cellaring?

johnw86

Reaction score
Much to my chagrin, I had just started drinking wine seriously when the 97s came out--and I drank the ones I purchased...damn. I do have some 99s that I'm holding.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a couple bottles of each of the Cakebread 1997s, we're going to crack one open at New Year's (probably Three Sisters) and I will post some info later, I've kept these ones cellared for awhile, although the newer ones I've tasted (mostly the regular Napa Valley) have been wonderful.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From what I've tried so far, it's a bit of a mixed bag, but most should be drinking well. Some are opening up nicely, whereas others still seem very tannic and/or closed. Other than the really good stuff, I think most should be drinking quite well by now. A few I've had recently:

A 1997 BV Tapestry recently was drinking very nicely. The oak has integrated well.

A 1997 Viader was a bit closed, but opened nicely after about 45 minutes

A 1997 Pride Mountain cabernet was stunning, but still has loads of tannins to shed (and so has many years of life left in it)

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I opened a 1997 Jordan to much disappointment.  Nothing interesting in it. I assume there will be variation in different wines as they age.

I have a 1997 Caymus Special Selection.  Anyone tried it yet?

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite type of loafer?

• Tassel loafers

• Penny loafers

• Horsebit loafers

• Kiltie loafers

• I hate loafers

Results are only viewable after voting.