How are 1997 California Cabernets cellaring?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Alexis, Dec 8, 2004.

1. Alexis

Alexis Senior member

How are the 1997 California Cabernets cellaring?

2. johnw86

johnw86 Senior member

Much to my chagrin, I had just started drinking wine seriously when the 97s came out--and I drank the ones I purchased...damn. I do have some 99s that I'm holding.

3. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

I have a couple bottles of each of the Cakebread 1997s, we're going to crack one open at New Year's (probably Three Sisters) and I will post some info later, I've kept these ones cellared for awhile, although the newer ones I've tasted (mostly the regular Napa Valley) have been wonderful.

4. kabert

kabert Senior member

From what I've tried so far, it's a bit of a mixed bag, but most should be drinking well. Some are opening up nicely, whereas others still seem very tannic and/or closed. Other than the really good stuff, I think most should be drinking quite well by now. A few I've had recently:

A 1997 BV Tapestry recently was drinking very nicely. The oak has integrated well.

A 1997 Viader was a bit closed, but opened nicely after about 45 minutes

A 1997 Pride Mountain cabernet was stunning, but still has loads of tannins to shed (and so has many years of life left in it)

5. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

I opened a 1997 Jordan to much disappointment.  Nothing interesting in it. I assume there will be variation in different wines as they age.

I have a 1997 Caymus Special Selection.  Anyone tried it yet?