• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How and why to live in a small (8x10) room.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Junior year of college I lived in a room that was 6'x9.5'. Bed against the far wall, desk at the foot of the bed, couple of dressers opposite the bed with a tv on top and a very narrow open space in between. It's certainly do-able; up to you if the benefits outweigh the costs.

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by L.R.
This is a solid idea, and have lived with multiple people before. Do you have a larger common purpose room? As long as you have a place to sit down and talk to people, watch TV and entertain guests, a small cheap bedroom is ideal. There's only 2 things needed to be done in it, and neither require an audience.

this. It seems like a pretty decent arrangement

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mehhhh
Thinking about moving into what is essentially a repurposed upstairs closet/study at the end of this Summer.

I know this seems crazy, but I think I can pull it off. Here are the positives:
-Rent is $200/month - I'd save $182.50 a month vs. where I live now.
-Great location- right in Columbia's bar district where I work and 4 blocks from the campus where I go to school.
-Live with two good friends
-The rest of the house is nice and large.

The only disadvantages vs. where I am living now:
-No garage
-Tiny Asian sized cube room
-Split a bathroom 3 ways.

I also get an upstairs closet for clothes and stuff.

Could you pull this off? If so, how?

slightly worse than what I did in college, but I was pretty broke at the time too (and no car either). If you got to save money, then you got to save money. It's actually not that bad as long as you keep it neat and tidy

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is completely normal for a student. It's referred to as "sharing a house."

Thread I've visited by the OP are two for two tonight.

mehhhh

Reaction score
Thinking about going with something like this. I don't think sleeping on a massive 10" futon mattress for 6 or 8 months is going to cause me to develop any back problems. Most of the futons I've slept/sat on in the past had weak ass 4 inch lumpy cotton mattresses, this looks like a major upgrade.

Now that I've gotten over the idea of the tiny room I'm really stoked about moving. I'm getting increasingly tired of living with people who aren't my friends in my current house.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Having a futon as your primary bed is a terrible idea. Even a cheap $200-300 matress will beat the nicer futons. I'd rather sleep on a nice couch than a futon in fact, they all seem pretty stiff/uncomfortable.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wait...this is just for the bedroom?

This is a problem?

8x10 is not huge but its not so small for a bedroom if the rest of the living space is large.

For that price why the hell not?

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by deadly7
Don't do it. You will seriously f up your back.

You sure? I've been sleeping one for 8 years now. 4 is was on a metal frame, 2 on a wood frame, and now it's just 2 futons stacked on the floor. Got a link so I can look in to this further? I've never had any issues with posture or back pain, but would like to look in to preventative measures for futons just in case.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HgaleK
You sure? I've been sleeping one for 8 years now. 4 is was on a metal frame, 2 on a wood frame, and now it's just 2 futons stacked on the floor. Got a link so I can look in to this further? I've never had any issues with posture or back pain, but would like to look in to preventative measures for futons just in case.

There are good futons and there are bad.

My parents have a futon in the basement that I slept on many times in high school and at one time seriously considered having brought here instead of buying a bed/mattress.

Crappy futons are terrible but nice ones can be just like a good firm mattress.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mine are essentially molded to me at this point
laugh.gif

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
When I first moved to New York I lived in a room that was about 8x10 and I paid $1,000 a month for it. At your $200, that is about right, however you might get a self storage place for that size for about $90. Might want to look into it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads