• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How am I doing for a 16 year old?

Mrshinyredplanet

Reaction score
Not a huge amount of clothing, and what I have doesn't conform to the idealistic staples of a men's wardrobe.

Navy blue blazer, size 36s. Picked up in a thrift store, only label says it is 120s, but the fabric definitely has a wool element to it. I'm not a fabric expert so I can't overly tell....

Tuk5o.jpg

Pictured here, with a light blue solid, and probably the favourite tie of my rotation -
pPOLO2-9883634_lifestyle_v360x480.jpg
- Take that, but replace the logos with small red, embroidered ducks. May be a tad novel, but it is fun and a bit quirky. I aplogise the the collar over collar faux pas, friend wanted it like that for his photo shoot.

189581_1585600883414_1337539685_1311576_8219450_n.jpg

Probably my favourite shirt, a plum check, overtop on a black + gold striped blazer. Again, not a staple, and something I have now grown out of.

Anyway, opinions, critique, comments. Also - QUESTION. Where would someone of a 5 11", 36 jacket, 31 pant buy a suit, also bearing in mind that I come from New Zealand. Any places on here? Any on the internet? I have a budget of the slim US $300. Yeah. Thrifty works well, because i'd be able to splurge a bit on accessories.

Cheers, awaiting your opinion
smile.gif

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're on the right track. One comment is you need to size down on your shirts. All of their collars are too big.

Mrshinyredplanet

Reaction score
I'd definitely agree with the collars. For that last photo, i'll pull up in defence that the blazers sleeves were far too short :p

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Smile a little and the cougars will be all over you:

10642_l.jpg

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mrshinyredplanet
189581_1585600883414_1337539685_1311576_8219450_n.jpg

That look reminds me of a young white version of LabelKing. And I hope that is just cola
laugh.gif

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why are you wearing that **** when you're 16? what the hell are these "photoshoots" for?

"..conform to the idealistic staples of a men's wardrobe. "

Please, tell me what you think these are.

I think you've been reading too many articles on the internet for men with jobs.

BTW that tie is horrible.

Mrshinyredplanet

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hendrix
Why are you wearing that **** when you're 16? what the hell are these "photoshoots" for? "..conform to the idealistic staples of a men's wardrobe. " Please, tell me what you think these are. I think you've been reading too many articles on the internet for men with jobs. BTW that tie is horrible.
Take a ******* chill mate. I wear that '****' because I enjoy it, I feel comfortable in it, and these 'photoshoots' just happen to be for internal school assessments. If you can't handle 16 year old guys enjoying and attempting to dress well, I wonder what you can enjoy. Oh, the staples to me: navy blazer, charcoal grey suit, white shirt, flannel overshirts and shoes like cap toe oxfords and penny loafers.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You might get a new handle. I read yours as "Mrs Hiny..."

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mrshinyredplanet
Take a ******* chill mate. I wear that '****' because I enjoy it, I feel comfortable in it, and these 'photoshoots' just happen to be for internal school assessments. If you can't handle 16 year old guys enjoying and attempting to dress well, I wonder what you can enjoy.

Oh, the staples to me: navy blazer, charcoal grey suit, white shirt, flannel overshirts and shoes like cap toe oxfords and penny loafers.

You asked for someone's opinion and they gave you their opinion.

Your shirt collars look ridiculous in the way that other 16 year olds who don't give a **** about dressing well will have better collars than you. Your friend with that ridiculously fat tie knot? His shirt collar looks better than yours.

Congratulations for giving a damn and having the right ideas of what dressing well is. You've only posted like two outfits and they're both far from perfect but as a high school student myself, we have a limited budget and we just have to work with what we have... Unless you're a spoiled ***** and in that case you should consider applying your dressing well mindset on things that actually look good.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads