How am I doing for a 16 year old?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mrshinyredplanet, May 18, 2011.

1. polarcreamsoda

polarcreamsoda Senior member

as it has been said above me, just because you are wearing a tie and suit while everyone is casual'd out does not make you a better dresser.

honestly, with a baby face like that, if youre wearing a suit, its gonna look like a costume.

knowing what to wear in the right situations makes a person a good dresser. i think you should try and get in touch with your casual side more. try some dark rinse slim jeans with some desert boots and a casual button down shirt. youll have more chances at getting laid with those on rather than a suit and tie.

2. Kiwi Man

Kiwi Man Senior member

If thats whats going to get you laid, then keep it up. Right now you should be worrying about getting your pinky stinky rather than waist suppression and collar gaps. Now leave the forum, go IM that cute blonde from your AP math class, and start sexting someone. (then post her pics here)

I thought you are married, no?

Oh wait a minute, are you one of those saints who want to do good for others and NOT for yourself?

3. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

I thought you are married, no?

Oh wait a minute, are you one of those saints who want to do good for others and NOT for yourself?

We have been there young man...

Believe me , casual or casual chic will get you laid quicker than wearing suits..

Abercromibie , Ralph Lauren ,Lacoste ,Gucci will make you more attractive to a 16 year old teen than a well-tailored suit...

A suit might more attract a pervy male sport teacher .

4. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

If thats whats going to get you laid, then keep it up. Right now you should be worrying about getting your pinky stinky rather than waist suppression and collar gaps. Now leave the forum, go IM that cute blonde from your AP math class, and start sexting someone. (then post her pics here)

I have never had a signature before, but this... Decisions, decisions... [​IMG]

5. Metlin

Metlin Senior member

I have never had a signature before, but this... Decisions, decisions... [​IMG]

Too late! [​IMG]

6. Quarks

Quarks Senior member

I will be one of the first to say that you dress very well for a 16 year old. Well done.
    Everything is a learning curve, as long as you are living, talking, walking, you will continue to learn as you go along. Dress your own age? Fuck that shit. Dress how you want to be presented to others, and more importantly, to yourself. I salute you for conforming to your own taste rather than what people expect of you.

7. Loathing

Loathing Senior member

I don't really agree with a lot of what's been said here. Girls with any real taste appreciate quality, design, & style at that age. Why would you want to shag a girl who's dumb enough to like branded gucci/ralph?

I would say continue to buy things that are nice & that you like. You'll get the girls you actually want that way, and you won't look like a prick.

Advice:

- get some classic slim frames: Oliver Peoples, Persols, maybe even Raybans or Tom Fords (This should be a big purchase, since you wear them every day);
    - wear good slim jeans in deep & dark blues: they can be smart & young at the same time;
    - wear everything much slimmer than you're wearing in those photos;
    - buying a lot of second hand shit @ thrift isn't a good idea unless you really know what you're doing.

8. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

I don't really agree with a lot of what's been said here. Girls with any real taste appreciate quality, design, & style at that age. Why would you want to shag a girl who's dumb enough to like branded gucci/ralph?

I would say continue to buy things that are nice & that you like. You'll get the girls you actually want that way, and you won't look like a prick.

Advice:

- get some classic slim frames: Oliver Peoples, Persols, maybe even Raybans or Tom Fords (This should be a big purchase, since you wear them every day);
    - wear good slim jeans in deep & dark blues: they can be smart & young at the same time;
    - wear everything much slimmer than you're wearing in those photos;
    - buying a lot of second hand shit @ thrift isn't a good idea unless you really know what you're doing.

At the tender of 16 , you're not going to marry the girl you're shagging...

You're not looking for a lifelong partner for heaven's sake...

Who cares if she is a bit dumb?

Being a Mensa's member is most liekly not high on his shopping list...

9. alphaO888

alphaO888 Senior member

Are you being serious or did you not lose your v card until you were in college? Girls at that age could care less about a guy wearing a suit, let alone anything that you're wearing. It's so much more about social status within your school. As long as you're not dressing like a dork (which a suit does NOT help to do at that age) you'll be good.

10. Quarks

Quarks Senior member

Loathing is a gentleman and does not aim to penetrate anything that moves. And perhaps, a gentleman with that bit of class.

11. evolsty

evolsty Active Member

-0.5 buying A LOT of shit is never a good idea, period. However, thrifting is a great idea. It'll be a great learning experience. You'll make mis-steps, but it's a much better and more affordable way to make mistakes than buying new. I wish I'd known what I was looking for when I was hitting the thrift stores at 16.

Also, read this by Dan Savage: http://www.straight.com/article-3379...up-teenage-boy

I wish someone had told me that when I was your age.

12. UncleCozy

UncleCozy Senior member

OCBDs will be key for you. And plain pullovers. Team it with jeans or chinos and you'll be the preppiest guy at your HS. I'm in HS as well, and I'm fortunate to be in a fraternity that lets me wear a suit ten+ times a term, but generally, don't buy anything expensive at your age. You will grow out of it in a few years time. Scour ebay for hidden gems, bad descriptions and horrible pictures will often hide a fine quality item that can be had for a bargain! I've only been sartorially active for half a year but my wardrobe is quite huge by now. Sure, I've had buyer's remorse one or two times but generally I like all that I've purchased.

13. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Agreed, ditch the dress shirts in favor of OCBDs. I don't think it has occurred to the great majority just yet, but the young man may actually go to a school that requires at least a shirt/tie.

Club ties are cool but I would suggest knit ties and madras ties also.

A pair of oliver peoples glasses may be out of the reach of most 16 yr olds, but if you can spring for it, get a pair.

14. Azzurri

Azzurri Well-Known Member

Take a fucking chill mate. I wear that 'shit' because I enjoy it, I feel comfortable in it, and these 'photoshoots' just happen to be for internal school assessments. If you can't handle 16 year old guys enjoying and attempting to dress well, I wonder what you can enjoy.

Oh, the staples to me: navy blazer, charcoal grey suit, white shirt, flannel overshirts and shoes like cap toe oxfords and penny loafers.

If you can't handle criticism, then this is the wrong playground for you.

And yes, your collars are too big for you..

15. LanceW

LanceW Senior member

Why are the children coming here with profanities?

With the OPs long, slender neck I suggest looking for shirt collars that not only fit correctly in circumference but are tall as well. Personally, I think you look great for 16.