How am I doing for a 16 year old?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mrshinyredplanet, May 18, 2011.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Senior member

Very nice for a 16 year old. Heed the advice above and you're well on your way.

I have hope that at least one person will be dressed sartorically correct at prom.

2. pvrhye

pvrhye Senior member

Not really. His friend is swimming in that collar. It's not nearly as large as his. He's not doing terrible. A month or two of lurking and I think he'd be solid. I think his starting point is as good as most who join here.

3. Mrshinyredplanet

Mrshinyredplanet Active Member

You asked for someone's opinion and they gave you their opinion. Your shirt collars look ridiculous in the way that other 16 year olds who don't give a shit about dressing well will have better collars than you. Your friend with that ridiculously fat tie knot? His shirt collar looks better than yours. Congratulations for giving a damn and having the right ideas of what dressing well is. You've only posted like two outfits and they're both far from perfect but as a high school student myself, we have a limited budget and we just have to work with what we have... Unless you're a spoiled bitch and in that case you should consider applying your dressing well mindset on things that actually look good.
    I do give a damn about what peoples ideas about dressing well is. I know I am not perfect, and I wasn't bagging his opinion but his attitude. I agree with him, those collars are a bit stupid. And I am far from a spoiled bitch as well [​IMG]. All the pieces here have been thrifted, or hard worked for. Thank you for your input as well. I think I haven't posted what the right idea about dressing well is, but my opinion. God, I seem to be coming across as a pretentious cunt.

4. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

Dressing up ≠ dressing well.

You're not gonna be dressing better than your peers if you're wearing a tie when everyone else is wearing jeans and sneakers. Instead, learn about proportions, fabrics, patterns and colours, which can be applied in all situations. You probably have a maximum of 5 days a year when you're supposed to wear a tie at your age, unless you wear a uniform, there's no way you have a "rotation". Therefore you should be focusing your efforts on casual wear.

If you really really want a suit just go buy one from hallensteins or something. Don't spend big money while you're still growing.

5. Mrshinyredplanet

Mrshinyredplanet Active Member

What the reception like for casual wear on sf? I have plenty of that, it isn't like I wear a tie and a blazer at every opportunity. The times where I do wear a tie is when everyone else does, hence that last pic, but I see what you are getting at. What I might be supposed to do might be different to what my group does, and dressing up is fun for them and for me. But god yeah, still a lot to learn.

6. Unregistered

Unregistered Senior member

What the reception like for casual wear on sf? I have plenty of that, it isn't like I wear a tie and a blazer at every opportunity. The times where I do wear a tie is when everyone else does, hence that last pic, but I see what you are getting at. What I might be supposed to do might be different to what my group does, and dressing up is fun for them and for me. But god yeah, still a lot to learn.

Check out SW&D.

I fear venturing over there, but it might work for you.

7. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

What the reception like for casual wear on sf?

streetwear & denim

I have plenty of that, it isn't like I wear a tie and a blazer at every opportunity. The times where I do wear a tie is when everyone else does, hence that last pic, but I see what you are getting at. What I might be supposed to do might be different to what my group does, and dressing up is fun for them and for me. But god yeah, still a lot to learn.

sweet as man i didn't mean to appear snarky.

If i were you i really wouldn't worry about dress clothes for a few years. At least until you've stopped growing. That doesn't mean you can't do your research though, and on the occasions when you do dress up you can obviously express your taste. Just don't spend alot of money on it.

8. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

Would be best to improve your glasses to something iconic rather than buying a new suit. The girls will enjoy that more.

9. GBR

GBR Senior member

I do give a damn about what peoples ideas about dressing well is. I know I am not perfect, and I wasn't bagging his opinion but his attitude. I agree with him, those collars are a bit stupid. And I am far from a spoiled bitch as well [​IMG]. All the pieces here have been thrifted, or hard worked for. Thank you for your input as well.

I think I haven't posted what the right idea about dressing well is, but my opinion. God, I seem to be coming across as a pretentious cunt.

Young man your clothes look dreadful in somewhat poor photographs to say the least. You seem to consider criticism unjustified - why ever else did you post here at all. The sleeves of that wretched plum shirt and too long as well. I would also suggest haircut or else grow you hair long properly - your choice but currently it does you no favours.

Your language and attitude is even worse. If you cannot deal with reaction in an adult way I would suggest that you stay away until you have grown up and learned communication skills.

10. hermes man

hermes man Senior member

you are still young , you should loosen up a bit

this is more appropriate for your age

[​IMG]

11. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

If thats whats going to get you laid, then keep it up. Right now you should be worrying about getting your pinky stinky rather than waist suppression and collar gaps. Now leave the forum, go IM that cute blonde from your AP math class, and start sexting someone. (then post her pics here)

12. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Smile a little and the cougars will be all over you:

[​IMG]

She looks rough...

More of a grizzlie bear than a cougar...

13. onix

onix Senior member

Dressing up ≠ dressing well.

+1.

14. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

At that age , if you want to get lais, wear Ralph Lauren polo with massive logo , nice designer jeans and that will do the job..

15. pvrhye

pvrhye Senior member

you are still young , you should loosen up a bit

this is more appropriate for your age

[​IMG]

I'm not a fan of hating on Bieber for no reason, but please don't wear low-rise girl jeans and a blazer that stops at your waste that you'd inexplicably buttoned on the buttons on leaving a huge roll of fabric between them.