1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

How am I doing for a 16 year old?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mrshinyredplanet, May 18, 2011.

1. saiyar1

saiyar1 Senior member

In relation to the OP's post...

For your average high school and typical ~17 year old's world, OP is acting a bit too grown up. Most of the people here, especially those encouraging him, are full grown adults. But OP is 16 and not our peer. But he will probably look like an uptight, elitist or twat among his own peers and that breaks a universal rule of appropriateness.

Even if you thrift all the clothes, it's really a waste of money and time when you will grow out of them and probably limit yourself socially.

The right way to do this is to pick one or two items maximum that are nice standout pieces. For example, a great pair of shoes to go with an otherwise typical, well fitting, good quality 16 year old's outfit. Or perhaps a well fitted shirt with an interesting pattern and wacky tie but the rest, again, typical teen clothing.

You should be fine looking in the Streetwear forum, but I don't really think you should be doing anything you read here just yet.

2. Pendulum

Pendulum Senior member

If my high school experience was anything to go by, a scrawny teen like OP would be better off fitting in with his peers rather than trying to dress older than he is. This is especially true as it seems to have the opposite effect due to his size.

Whilst he may be better dressed than others of his age in the opinion of posters here, it's not their opinion that counts at that age and he is doing himself no favours really. He is just going to stand out, and not in a good way.

3. Handcuffed

Handcuffed Senior member

You should smile at the camera. The "I'm a cobweb of emotion" look is best suited for people without curfews.

4. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

You should smile at the camera. The "I'm a cobweb of emotion" look is best suited for people without curfews.

Or future serial killers.

5. Oleg

Oleg Senior member

Self-loathing Gay Conservatives are my favourite politicians... They bring the concept of double-standard to a new level.
    [​IMG] Remember Harvey Proctor? Some can also sell you clothes once their private life has seen them drummed out of parliament.