1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

How about those Tigers?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by clarinetplayer, May 27, 2006.

1. briancl

briancl Senior member

I got tickets to todays game at 4. Should be fun. Watching the game last night, I actually noticed the fans... for the first time ever. It's about time, but where have you been?

2. mrpologuy

mrpologuy Senior member

Do you mean where have I been or the fans?

3. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Senior member

I got tickets to todays game at 4. Should be fun. Watching the game last night, I actually noticed the fans... for the first time ever. It's about time, but where have you been?

Something I've noticed about baseball fans in Detroit and football fans in Michigan Stadium.... at times, we can be the quietest fans in the world. It does not mean we do not care. It's just that we tend to keep emotions on the inside.

Michigan Stadium, the "Big House" with a seating capacity of over 110,000, is known as the quietest stadium in the Big Ten. There are moments when there is an absolute silence in that place. There are times when the few thousand visitors make more noise than the 100,000+ Maize clad fans. (Please know that is being written hours before the clash between Michigan and Michigan State. There will be few silent moments, today.)

Is it a Midwest "reticence" thing? Perhaps, we tend to reserve our loud enthusiasm for special moments only? Such as last night at the Tigers-Yankees game? And WHAT a night that was!

I have to buy a small portable radio so that I can listen to the Tigers game while I'm at the Big House. Both game times start at 4:30 p.m. Damn!

4. briancl

briancl Senior member

Do you mean where have I been or the fans?

No.. no.. certainly not. I would have quoted you if that were my intent...

This was more of a general stab at all of Detroit... hehe.. [​IMG]

5. briancl

briancl Senior member

Something I've noticed about baseball fans in Detroit and football fans in Michigan Stadium.... at times, we can be the quietest fans in the world. It does not mean we do not care. It's just that we tend to keep emotions on the inside. Michigan Stadium, the "Big House" with a seating capacity of over 110,000, is known as the quietest stadium in the Big Ten. There are moments when there is an absolute silence in that place. There are times when the few thousand visitors make more noise than the 100,000+ Maize clad fans. (Please know that is being written hours before the clash between Michigan and Michigan State. There will be few silent moments, today.) Is it a Midwest "reticence" thing? Perhaps, we tend to reserve our loud enthusiasm for special moments only? Such as last night at the Tigers-Yankees game? And WHAT a night that was! I have to buy a small portable radio so that I can listen to the Tigers game while I'm at the Big House. Both game times start at 4:30 p.m. Damn!
    I'll certainly agree with some of that. I've been to Pistons games where you can hear whispers from Flip to his assistants. However, I don't think its a Midwest thing. Plenty of loud stadiums.. ever been to a Bears game at Solider Field? Plus, this whole issue with people split over MSU/UM football and a potential series-ending home playoff win against the Yankees by the Tigers. ARE YOU INSANE? This happens once a lifetime.

6. mrpologuy

mrpologuy Senior member

If the Tigers and Wolverines win today it will be more enjoyable than an orgasm.[​IMG]

7. clarinetplayer

I'll certainly agree with some of that. I've been to Pistons games where you can hear whispers from Flip to his assistants.

However, I don't think its a Midwest thing. Plenty of loud stadiums.. ever been to a Bears game at Solider Field?

Plus, this whole issue with people split over MSU/UM football and a potential series-ending home playoff win against the Yankees by the Tigers. ARE YOU INSANE? This happens once a lifetime.

OK, maybe it is a Michigan thing.

I'm not split over the football/baseball series time conflict. As a season ticket holder at Michigan Stadium, I can't afford to not use the tickets. Dan Dickerson and Jim Price will keep me abreast at the football game. I'd rather listen to them than to the babbling commentators on ESPN and Fox. I miss Mario and Rod.

8. clarinetplayer

If the Tigers and Wolverines win today it will be more enjoyable than an orgasm.[​IMG]

At least "as" enjoyable!

9. clarinetplayer

Tigers 8, Yankees 3

Michigan 31, MSU 13

Oh my god!

10. mrpologuy

mrpologuy Senior member

Yesterday was a dream come true. We sure did rock the evil empire. The changes have alreadys tarted as I have heard Torre is out. It will be tought but I think we can take Oakland. It should be a good series.

11. clarinetplayer

October 10th

Tonight, the Tigers meet the A's to determine who will represent the AL in the World Series. In 1972, an aging Tigers team, led by its hard drinking and scrappy manager, Billy Martin, lost to the A's of Vida Blue and Catfish Hunter fame. This time, the outcome will be different.

It was on this day, in 1968, when the Tigers won the World Series in a storybook comeback against St Louis. Roly-poly Mickey Lolich pitched the Tigers to a 4-1 victory over the St Louis legendary pitcher, Bob Gibson.

It would be fitting to see the Tigers meet the Cardinals again in 2006! It would be special to see Leyland manage against his mentor, La Russa.

The A's do not have the "sex appeal" of the Yankees, but they have a pitching staff that deserves great respect. This should be a very good series. I wish I could believe all the predictions by the pundits that the Tigers will win this series easily.

Let's go Tigers!

12. mrpologuy

mrpologuy Senior member

It should be a great series between the A's and Tigers. I would guess very few people expected these teams to be in the ALCS. neither team has big stars really but they have done it with great pitching and clutch hitting. It will be a fun series to watch. i hope everyone on the Twins is watching it at home. Go Tigers!

13. JBZ

JBZ Senior member

A belated "thank you" to the Detroit Tigers from this member of Red Sox Nation. Good luck the rest of the way.

14. Stax

Stax Senior member

[​IMG]

See you at the game.

15. mrpologuy

mrpologuy Senior member

I would be thrilled if we beat the A's but beating the Yankees was enough for me!!!![​IMG]

16. mrpologuy

mrpologuy Senior member

5-1 in Game 1. We wer elucky to get Zito out of the game so fast. Oakland had a ton of baserunners last night and did not capitalize. I am sure that will change soon. We also got a few runs due to bad fielding. It will be a long and hard fought series. I predict 6 or 7 games.

17. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

5-1 in Game 1. We wer elucky to get Zito out of the game so fast. Oakland had a ton of baserunners last night and did not capitalize. I am sure that will change soon. We also got a few runs due to bad fielding. It will be a long and hard fought series. I predict 6 or 7 games.

Wow, they really shut Zito down! One homer seems to have unsettled him.Looks like the Tigers might be children of destiny.

EL Tigre!

Tigers/Mets?

18. mrpologuy

mrpologuy Senior member

I know lots of people around here would like to see a rematch of the 68 series-Cards vs Tigers, but I wouldn't mind seeing us play the Mets. I still am satisfied that Arod and Jeter are watching from home!!

19. Stax

Stax Senior member

yep, zito threw up all over the field. the a's definitely had opportunities, but no clutch hits. it could be a long series, but the a's must pick one up tonight.