How about those Tigers?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by clarinetplayer, May 27, 2006.

1. tiger02

tiger02 Militarist

Ya.. tonite I am torn in all kinds of directions.

1) I want the Tigers to lose (I'll be at the game tonite rooting for my Red Sox)
    2) I was just at a Tigers game rooting for the Tigers. Weird.
    3) I want the Pistons to win, and I want to watch the game, but I'll be watching the Red Sox.

Damnit.

Easy solution: Red Sox Suck.

2. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Sized Down 2

Ya.. tonite I am torn in all kinds of directions.

1) I want the Tigers to lose (I'll be at the game tonite rooting for my Red Sox)
    2) I was just at a Tigers game rooting for the Tigers. Weird.
    3) I want the Pistons to win, and I want to watch the game, but I'll be watching the Red Sox.

Tonight's an elimination game for Detroit in the best playoffs in recent memory, vs. a regular season baseball game, of which there are like 5 million a season. I say watch the Pistons/Heat game. [​IMG]

Unless you have really awesome seats for the Tigers/Red Sox game, I guess. That's why God made TiVo.

3. mrpologuy

mrpologuy Senior member

I am glad to see the Tigers are starting to get some love.[​IMG] I waited through an hour rain delay the other night to see them ge tbeat 6-1. I hope we can pull 2 out of 3 from the BoSox.

4. briancl

briancl Senior member

Tonight's an elimination game for Detroit in the best playoffs in recent memory, vs. a regular season baseball game, of which there are like 5 million a season. I say watch the Pistons/Heat game. [​IMG]

Unless you have really awesome seats for the Tigers/Red Sox game, I guess. That's why God made TiVo.

Well, I made the mistake of leaving a 2-1 baseball game in the 8th to watch the Heat close out the Pistons' season.

At least Boston pulled it off.

5. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Senior member

It has been a week of disappointment.

6. mrpologuy

mrpologuy Senior member

It was a great game last night though. If the Bengals can win 2 out of 3 from the Bosox, that will be a big step for them.

7. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

It was a great game last night though. If the Bengals can win 2 out of 3 from the Bosox, that will be a big step for them.

Ill say two things for the Tigers.

That Ball Park is awesome, if a bit large. Also its so cool that the football stadium is right across the street. Unfortunate that the city of Detroit is a wasteland.

The Tigers are much upgraded this year. The owner made super stars of the Red Wings again and maybe he will do the same for the Tigers. The Tigers have a long and wonderful baseball story and it is only fitting that a club of their stature join the ranks of elite baseball teams again.

8. briancl

briancl Senior member

Ill say two things for the Tigers.

That Ball Park is awesome, if a bit large. Also its so cool that the football stadium is right across the street. Unfortunate that the city of Detroit is a wasteland.

The Tigers are much upgraded this year. The owner made super stars of the Red Wings again and maybe he will do the same for the Tigers. The Tigers have a long and wonderful baseball story and it is only fitting that a club of their stature join the ranks of elite baseball teams again.

I think comerica is a fine place to watch a baseball game, but the feel is definitely less than that of the old tigers stadium. no longer are you right up on the field. of course, that stadium is old and there are a lot of bad seats with obstructed views... but there are certainly a large group of people who love watching baseball in the old stadium.

Also, I am not sure if I like the way Illitch hanldes baseball. There have been numerous offers to bring in a minor league team into old tigers stadium (which he owns the rights to), but he denies them.. so instead it will likely be demolished.. and his past actions concerning the tigers and comerica park have been sketchy (odd deals with kwame and the city of detroit that make zero sense with regards to whats best for detroit and its citizens)..

he is a business man first and a politician second, so i just don't think the game of baseball is really a concern of his... he just cares about making money and being almighty in metro detroit. if his tigers do well, i'm sure he'll try to steal some of that spotlight (like how he sat in the infield seats near the dugout for the first time EVER last week... after sitting in his suite for the last 4 years)..

9. Film Noir Buff

I think comerica is a fine place to watch a baseball game, but the feel is definitely less than that of the old tigers stadium. no longer are you right up on the field. of course, that stadium is old and there are a lot of bad seats with obstructed views... but there are certainly a large group of people who love watching baseball in the old stadium.

Also, I am not sure if I like the way Illitch hanldes baseball. There have been numerous offers to bring in a minor league team into old tigers stadium (which he owns the rights to), but he denies them.. so instead it will likely be demolished.. and his past actions concerning the tigers and comerica park have been sketchy (odd deals with kwame and the city of detroit that make zero sense with regards to whats best for detroit and its citizens)..

he is a business man first and a politician second, so i just don't think the game of baseball is really a concern of his... he just cares about making money and being almighty in metro detroit. if his tigers do well, i'm sure he'll try to steal some of that spotlight (like how he sat in the infield seats near the dugout for the first time EVER last week... after sitting in his suite for the last 4 years)..

I didnt know those things about the Little Caesar's guy. If he's being petty about a minor league team in the old stadium then absent a good explanation thats sad. However, he bought the Tigers when they might have moved to a different city and he has put money into them. The new park is cool. It is too big but Im thinking the new Yankee Stadium is going to be a bungle too.

He did a good job with the Red Wings, that storied franchise was on the road to becoming BlackHawks 2 and Im sure that Gordie Howe is happy. Detroit has a lot of problems that I dont think Illitch is responsible for.

If it makes you feel any better, most teams in most markets are owned by people who dont care about the team, the city or the sport. Look at Red Sox owner who broke a championship team up and peed the GM off all for the sake of saving cash.

Look at Luria if you want to see a good example of the extremes in fluctuations a team can go through. The Marlin management is a disgrace to baseball.

10. Mr. Checks

Mr. Checks Senior member

Had a great seat for a wonderful pitchers' duel : I don't recall more than two pitches by Schilling or Rogers that were not on the edge of the strike zone.

A treat just to be there.

11. clarinetplayer

Comerica Park "ain't" bad. Great views. I hate the carnival atmosphere that competes with the game itself. And, I REALLY hate the screaming announcer.

There was nothing like Tiger Stadium--the close feeling one had to the field. True, there were many bad seats--posts that obscured the view etc... But, one could actually hear (and feel!) the crack of the bats. When one entered Tiger Stadium, there was an immediate sense of history.

As for downtown Detroit, yes, it is a wasteland. But little by little, individual efforts to reclaim the greatness are in evidence. When visiting Comerica Park, do stop in at Saint John's Church which is adjacent to the park and "pray for the Tigers".

My God, with the collapse of the Red Wings and the Pistons, the Tigers are all that we have left! Who would ever have thought?

12. Film Noir Buff

Comerica Park "ain't" bad. Great views. I hate the carnival atmosphere that competes with the game itself. And, I REALLY hate the screaming announcer.

There was nothing like Tiger Stadium--the close feeling one had to the field. True, there were many bad seats--posts that obscured the view etc... But, one could actually hear (and feel!) the crack of the bats. When one entered Tiger Stadium, there was an immediate sense of history.

As for downtown Detroit, yes, it is a wasteland. But little by little, individual efforts to reclaim the greatness are in evidence. When visiting Comerica Park, do stop in at Saint John's Church which is adjacent to the park and "pray for the Tigers".

My God, with the collapse of the Red Wings and the Pistons, the Tigers are all that we have left! Who would ever have thought?

Maybe there's hope for the Lions, what with Mariuch out. That new football stadium is sweet too, ford field?

The Pistons will still contend they just have to make an adjustment. The red wings are set too, I hope my Rangers can win another Cup in my lifetime.

Funny, the Lions last winning streak was in the 50s, hell they practically owned the 50s. Incidentally, what I found great about downtown Detroit was the fact that the city looked like a Planet of the Apes set. With all those moderne sky scrapers it literally looks like it was this bustling Metropolis that rivaled NYC, and then one day at about noon it just died.

13. clarinetplayer

Sox 4; Tigers 3

Damn!!!!

14. mrpologuy

mrpologuy Senior member

I hope the Tigers aren't starting to come back down to earth after playing so bad he past 2 weeks. There is no exscuse for blowing that game last night.

15. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

Dude..I'm a Royals fan.[​IMG]

koji