1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

How about those Tigers?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by clarinetplayer, May 27, 2006.

1. mrpologuy

mrpologuy Senior member

Maybe the Yankess fans are a little upset their 200 million dollar team couldn't get it done again. All the money in the world can't buy players with heart and team chemistry.

2. mrpologuy

mrpologuy Senior member

Maybe the reason LaRussa didn't go after this more is that he is no stranger to players breaking the rules. He did coach McGwire and Canseco in Oakland. The game has been played and is in the books. I bet Rogers hands will be clean if it goes to a game 6.

3. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

Maybe the Yankess fans are a little upset their 200 million dollar team couldn't get it done again. All the money in the world can't buy players with heart and team chemistry.

Last I checked Detroit's payroll is pretty juicy, $83MM isnt exactly chump change. But enough with the cheap shots. The Yankees pretty much ARE baseball so I can absorb a snicker or two.

There is a rule in baseball and it looks like Kenny broke it by using pine tar to get a better grip on the ball during cold weather. It looks like he was cheating, plain and simple. That looked like pine tar on his hand. Whether LaRussa challenges it doesnt mean that thats proof it wasnt a big deal or that he wasnt cheating. Cheating is cheating.

Maybe if the Cheater err the Gambler were a Yankee youd defend him with less zeal?

4. mrpologuy

mrpologuy Senior member

If he did cheat he got lucky and got away with it. It still is pretty incredible to pitch how he has with a scuffed ball or not. The game is in the books and both teams now need to focus on game 3 tonight.

5. Film Noir Buff

If he did cheat he got lucky and got away with it. It still is pretty incredible to pitch how he has with a scuffed ball or not. The game is in the books and both teams now need to focus on game 3 tonight.

What's more is Ive never encountered a pitcher throw an average of 5mph faster as he ages. It can definitely happen in the odd game but this guy has gone from an average of 88mph to one of 93-95mph? I would ask for a substance test.

Additionally, how many times did he go for the brim of his hat? If you watched the entire game, maybe you noticed that he was obsessed with the brim. Unbelievable.

And why, if it wasnt an illegal substance did the ASK him to wash his hands? Dirt isnt illegal.

The game is in the books but the controversy will grow. I just read that they collected like 6 scuffed or scraped balls that he was using that night. He pitches game 6 so he's going to have to be squeaky clean. itll be very interesting if he gets bombed.

You were suggesting I and others had a non fact based motive for examining Rogers. Im not outraged or anything like that but I wanted to explain myself because that has never been my approach to sports.

GL tonight.

6. wpeters

wpeters Senior member

What's more is Ive never encountered a pitcher throw an average of 5mph faster as he ages. It can definitely happen in the odd game but this guy has gone from an average of 88mph to one of 93-95mph? I would ask for a substance test.
    I don't follow the Tigers, so I don't know if he has been hitting those numbers all season. But if it's just based on post-season play, it's likely the radar guns, and not steriods. The guns were reading so artificially high in the early series that even thick-skulled McCarver was commenting on it.

7. Film Noir Buff

I don't follow the Tigers, so I don't know if he has been hitting those numbers all season. But if it's just based on post-season play, it's likely the radar guns, and not steriods.

The guns were reading so artificially high in the early series that even thick-skulled McCarver was commenting on it.

Yeah, Im not sure if they didnt fix that for the WS.

8. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Senior member

The only good thing from last night's terrible loss by the Tigers was the ball park organist. St Louis is probably one of the last places where one can hear an authentic, "live" musician at a ball game. I detest the canned music one hears in Comerica Park. I recall conductor Leonard Slatkin's comments about the ball park organist for the Cardinals. He wished that he could have such a job. I still remember the famous "Nancy" who used to play at the old Comiskey Park.

Unless the Tigs can get some hits, we're done. Nate Robinson did OK--keeping the Cardinals to just two runs. But he had no support.

9. Film Noir Buff

Unless the Tigs can get some hits, we're done. Nate Robinson did OK--keeping the Cardinals to just two runs. But he had no support.

What is it with relievers and not being able to throw the ball to basemen?

Things can turn around quickly in baseball. Suppan may not be the lock everyone thinks he is.

Hopefully Pudge is alright.

10. clarinetplayer

What is it with relievers and not being able to throw the ball to basemen?

Things can turn around quickly in baseball. Suppan may not be the lock everyone thinks he is.

Hopefully Pudge is alright.

Pudge looked like he was in BIG pain. I just heard that he is in the line up for tonight. I wish they would rest him for one day.

I thought the Detroit News said it best today:

Cy--Carpenter
    Sigh--Robertson

I thought Nate did as well as expected. But what could he do with no supportive runs? I was impressed that he took his at bats with studied seriousness. He bunted better than some of our experts.

Today, some wag on the radio, suggested that Bonderman not even bother to take a bat to the plate. Just stand there and hope you get hit--just like Niefi Perez does.

I hope you are right about Suppan. If we can take one game in St Louis, we will right this sinking ship.

11. koobalicious

koobalicious Well-Known Member

My parents are huge fans, so I bought them tickets for Game 2 as a surprise...they were so pumped. I hope the Tigers win the series, but at least they went to a memorable game if nothing else.

12. Film Noir Buff

Pudge looked like he was in BIG pain. I just heard that he is in the line up for tonight. I wish they would rest him for one day.

He got his extra day. He might get yet another with a second rain out tonight. He really is an amazing spark for a team. He helped bring down my Yankees in 2003.

I thought the Detroit News said it best today:

Cy--Carpenter
    Sigh--Robertson

I thought Nate did as well as expected. But what could he do with no supportive runs? I was impressed that he took his at bats with studied seriousness. He bunted better than some of our experts.

That's funny. Robertson pitched just fine. But I agree with your statement. If you dont get any runs, you cant win, right?

I hope you are right about Suppan. If we can take one game in St Louis, we will right this sinking ship.

The Tigers are suffering from too much time off after their easy slicing through the AL playoffs. Maybe the same rigor mortis will set into the Cardinals. I really dont want the Cards to win.

13. clarinetplayer

In spite of the great performance by the Mighty Casey, the Tigers lost. Now, it all comes down to the rookie, Verlander.

I wish Leyland would change his mind and use Rogers.

14. Film Noir Buff

In spite of the great performance by the Mighty Casey, the Tigers lost. Now, it all comes down to the rookie, Verlander.

I wish Leyland would change his mind and use Rogers.

What did I say about relief pitchers and over throws? Four pitching errors is really unbelievable. Granderson is wearing goat horns today. Honestly, the Tigers shouldve had it in the bag. Letting a mediocre journeyman like Eckstein beat you guys is amazing.

15. clarinetplayer

What did I say about relief pitchers and over throws? Four pitching errors is really unbelievable. Granderson is wearing goat horns today. Honestly, the Tigers shouldve had it in the bag. Letting a mediocre journeyman like Eckstein beat you guys is amazing.

All season long, the Tigers have demonstrated error free play. And now, this. All depends on what Verlander can do. If he brings his "A" game, we will be OK.

16. clarinetplayer

There's no joy in Mudville.
    The Cards won.

We were done in by our errors.
    Weaver did a great job.

Who's my Tiger? Sean Casey.

17. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    It really is too bad that the Tigers will be remembered for all their errors in this Series. Especially when them just being in the thing is such a great story. This was the worst team in baseball for a long, long time.

A great year, only mildly tarnished by a crummy last week.

18. clarinetplayer

It really is too bad that the Tigers will be remembered for all their errors in this Series. Especially when them just being in the thing is such a great story. This was the worst team in baseball for a long, long time.

A great year, only mildly tarnished by a crummy last week.

We are grateful for the season that brought baseball back to Detroit. It's been such a long time.

19. clarinetplayer

Gold Glove winners (again):
    Pudge (Ivan) Rodriguez
    Kenny Rogers

20. clarinetplayer

Looking forward, already, to next year's season as the Tigers have traded for Gary Sheffield who will be the new DH.