1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

How about those Tigers?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by clarinetplayer, May 27, 2006.

1. mrpologuy

mrpologuy Senior member

You couldnt write a better ending to that game. It is on to the World Series now. Go Tigers!!

2. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Senior member

Now, the question is: "Which Tiger pitchers know how to hit?" (When the games are played at the NL team home field, the pitchers take their turn at the plate.)

3. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

Now, the question is: "Which Tiger pitchers know how to hit?" (When the games are played at the NL team home field, the pitchers take their turn at the plate.)

Actually the question is which Tigers pitcher is juiced? I dont remember the Gambler ever bringing the heat like that.

4. clarinetplayer

Actually the question is which Tigers pitcher is juiced? I dont remember the Gambler ever bringing the heat like that.
    Aw, Kenny is just a "late bloomer". As he said in an interview, he is still learning about the art. At age 41, better later than never.

5. jeansandtshirt

jeansandtshirt Senior member

They just need to practice bunting this week. Unless the pitchers are dominating or have great stuff in a close game they will be pinch hit for past the 6th.

6. clarinetplayer

In my post #198 on Saturday, I mentioned that Manager Jim Leyland's brother, Father Tom Leyland, prays for his brother's team.

In today's Detroit Free Press, we learn that lots of other people are also praying for the Tigers:

Tigers
    THE SCENE: Praying for a title next door

Saving souls and four more games

October 16, 2006

BY SHAWN WINDSOR

FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

The Rev. Steven Kelly stepped outside to take his dog for a walk seconds after Magglio Ordonez touched home plate. Up and down his Grosse Pointe Park street, he heard hollering leaking out from windows.

"It was a rumble, really," Kelly said.

And it warmed his heart on a cool October night.

For five years, Kelly has presided famously over prayer services for his beloved Detroit Tigers at St. John's Episcopal Church, across the street from Comerica Park and the Fox Theatre. On Saturday evening, Ordonez lifted a moonshot to the heavens, sending Detroit to the World Series for the first time in 22 years.

So what does Kelly do now?

"Keep praying, of course," he said. "You pray in good times and in bad. And you pray to give thanks."

Kelly has one of the more unique perspectives on this astounding Tigers season. His church at the corner of Woodward and E. Fisher Freeway shares a parking lot with the ballpark. And for the first time since he took over the parish, he watched the lot grow full.

"I can remember when the park was built, and a board member suggested we might have to hire extra security for when the World Series came," Kelly said. "We laughed at him. About the worst that ever happens is when our garden gets used as a urinal."

No one is snickering now, although nearly everyone at the church is smiling. The congregation is full of Comerica Park employees -- ushers, vendors, ticket-takers. Every Sunday, they, the rest of the parish and Kelly bless the boys across the street.

"God always answers; it's either yes, no or not yet," Kelly said, explaining how the Almighty could let the Tigers lose 119 games just three years ago. "He was telling us 'not yet.' "

Kelly got the idea for a Tigers-centric prayer service when he arrived at St. John's five years ago. The new ballpark dwarfed the elegant, limestone-sculpted Victorian-Gothic church built in 1859. Kelly feared the church would get swallowed.

Then he saw opportunity and began offering prayer services for the Tigers, hoping to lure fans to his pews and publicity to his parish.

"We wanted people to know we are still here," Kelly said.

Besides, he loved baseball.

So does Tristan Williams, the church's office assistant, who also lives there. Williams spent many of his summer nights this season perched outside the backdoor. He'd smoke a cigarette and listen as the score from the stadium's public address announcer floated over the parking lot, and the victories kept piling up.

"Day in and day out people kept coming," Williams said.

And he kept watching. And listening. And following his hometown's baseball team as it stitched together a summer for the ages.

"Baseball has never left the city," he said. "It's Detroit."

And in Detroit -- at least at St. John's -- the city kept praying, every Sunday, every summer.

This Sunday, Kelly and his congregation will pray once more -- to stay levelheaded, to love their neighbors, to stay in His grace.

Assuming He still is listening, they will be asking for only three more victories.

The World Series begins Saturday night.[/i]

7. mrpologuy

mrpologuy Senior member

World Series tickets go on sale at 10am for the few people who will be lucky enough to get them. I might however be in Mexico when it comes to a clinching game. I wouldn't want to miss that party if we pull it out. Go get em Tigers!!

8. mrpologuy

mrpologuy Senior member

Well it is the Tigers vs the Cards. It is a rematch of the 68 Series. It should be a great series. Go Get Em Tigers.

9. briancl

briancl Senior member

Well it is the Tigers vs the Cards. It is a rematch of the 68 Series. It should be a great series. Go Get Em Tigers.

The cards look pathetic out there. I'd be surprised if the Tigers didn't win it in 5 or 6.

10. clarinetplayer

Put away the brooms. There is not going to be a sweep.

What is wrong with this picture? The Tigers looked sluggish and tired. The Cards looked, acted, and played as though they were fully refreshed and rested.

At times, the Tigers looked like the Keystone Cops. (The "obstruction" by Inge.)

Oh well, lessons were learned. And that is why there are seven games to the World Series.

The Gambler will be on the mound tonight. Hopefully, the Tiger bats will not be silent.

11. mrpologuy

mrpologuy Senior member

I must give credit to the Cards pitching last night. It was incredible. If it wasnt for a few mistakes by us the game would have been much closer. I sure hope the Tigers learned there lesson about pitching to Pujols.

12. Film Noir Buff

Im rooting for the Tigers but they were rusty. it's been like a week since they played a meaningful game. Hopefully the Gambler will bring more of his "bottled heat" to tonight's game and slice through that lame Cardinals lineup.

13. countdemoney

countdemoney Senior member

As a cardinals fan, I can't say I am displeased. That's not to gloat, just to say that the cards have been bridesmaids before with this group, and maybe they figured it out this year.

That or they woke a giant. It's only game 1 and the Tiger lefties have yet to go. Lefties are always bad news for the cards.

Win or lose the series, I still think you can't give enough credit to the Tigers players and organization for the season they've had.

14. clarinetplayer

The gunk on Rogers's hand.....the Stigmata!!!!!!!!!

On to St Louis! This is going to be an exciting Series. It was wonderful to see the warm reception that Trammell received from the fans. Rumor is that he will be on the Cubs coaching staff. That would be great for him and the Cubs.

15. mrpologuy

mrpologuy Senior member

WHat a game last night. I am sure this hand situation will be the talk of the series. The Cards couldn't hit him no matter what he was doing. It will be a great series.

16. Film Noir Buff

WHat a game last night. I am sure this hand situation will be the talk of the series. The Cards couldn't hit him no matter what he was doing. It will be a great series.

Umm, they need to do a steroid test on that guy. Now theyre saying The Gambler's been lifting like a maniac in recent months. that guy never threw that fast. Also, he shouldve been thrown out for that crap on his hand. If I were Cardinals nation I would rise up over this.

17. mkk

mkk Senior member

18. mrpologuy

mrpologuy Senior member

I think I smell some sour grapes from the Cards fans. If it was such a big deal Larusa should have made more of a fuss over it.

19. clarinetplayer

I think I smell some sour grapes from the Cards fans. If it was such a big deal Larusa should have made more of a fuss over it.

Smudgegate! [​IMG]

Well, the final word is that Kenny pitched even better after he wiped his hand. As LaRussa said in his press conference, "we were beat". Also, LaRussa said that pitchers "from the start of spring training" until the end of the world series apply stuff to their hands.

Of course the Fox broadcast team is completely neutral. Let's see...Tim McCarver was the final St L Cards guy to strike out in game seven of the '68 World Series. And Joe Buck, son of the famed Cards announcer.

20. Film Noir Buff

Im a Yankees fan and a baseball fan. Im just wondering if we mightn't have to put an asterik next to this pitcher's 23 shut out innings?[​IMG]

Larusa is way to arrogant and pompous to make the right decision if he ist sure that he would win it. He probably sensed he had a high probability of looking bad. The Cards, like the Metsies, had an opportunity to bust that game open in the 9th.