• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How’s this look for preppy business school?

notswagger

Reaction score
I want to wear this with brown leather boots and dark wash jeans/beige cords

yes I will tuck in my shirt under my sweater

yes I will take recommendations what colour shirt to wear under this sweater

Thank you

Attachments

• 13B571DB-FBFC-4EA2-813E-E29D628195E7.jpeg
    13B571DB-FBFC-4EA2-813E-E29D628195E7.jpeg
    169.4 KB · Views: 147

yanagi

Reaction score
Are you a business school professor?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
as a shirt color, white is fine. but try tucking the collar points underneath the sweater, and then tucking the shirt into your pants. then hike the hem of the sweater a bit. as is, the proportions are a bit off. the sweater hem should be tight enough such that you can adjust it on your body, lengthwise. don't pull sweaters all the way down.

notswagger

Reaction score
as a shirt color, white is fine. but try tucking the collar points underneath the sweater, and then tucking the shirt into your pants. then hike the hem of the sweater a bit. as is, the proportions are a bit off. the sweater hem should be tight enough such that you can adjust it on your body, lengthwise. don't pull sweaters all the way down.
Thanks for the advice

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nope sorry that's not it... research a bit on CM on this forum and I am sure you will get ideas ... below a pic of me today. dark blue jeans, JL burgundy oxfords and a zegna cashmere polo longsleeve. not that my outfit is out of this world but it's a comfy fit that looks somewhat smart yet casual.

Attachments

• IMG-2598.jpg
    IMG-2598.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 141

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice

The material also looks to be some kind of cotton or cotton blend. That can be fine, but try to find that same style in wool. The sweater will be warmer, the yarn will have a bit more loft, and the sweater will have more texture. You may find that you like the drape and look better.

yanagi

Reaction score
Student on exchange to Switzerland

I'm not familiar with what students wear at European business schools, but at the US business school I teach at, if you wore that to class or to my office hours, I wouldn't bat an eyelash.

(Which is good.)

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In your example the term "preppy" is so expanded as to become meaningless.
Here is a broad definition:

Also disregard the photo of Clint Eastwood.
His dress is even less "preppy" than yours.
Full disclosure: I am an Ivy League graduate,
but not a "preppy"

Last edited:

moltoelegante

Reaction score
Having recently done my MBA at INSEAD in France I have to say it wasn't 'preppy' at all. Business casual was the norm. Perhaps the Swiss schools are a little different.

Not digging the colour, the texture or the round neck of this item, FWIW.

Crispyj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know where you are from, but black suits are definitely not the way to go. Black should generally be reserved for black tie events or funerals.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite style of coat for winter? Choose up to 3

• Peacoat

• Great coat

• Trench

• Mac

• Chesterfield

• Duffle coat

• Topcoat

• Shearling

• Balmacaan

• Parka