1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Houses with 'No Shoe' Rules

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by RSS, Aug 25, 2011.

1. academe

academe Senior member

RSS next time you come to visit I'll be sure to find you a pair of house slippers. :D

In all honesty, in wet or snowy conditions, we find that a no shoe policy keeps our floors cleaner (we have a mixture of hard wood floors in the public spaces and carpet in the bedrooms). In the warm months, our house is warm enough that I go barefoot at home. In winter, I put on house slippers or sock...

2. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

I put shoes on when I'm expecting guests.

3. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

I don't wear my dress shoes when I get home. I put on a pair of loosely laced sneakers or flip flops, which are both extremely comfortable.

Guess what, the house gets dirty regardless. You should be cleaning it frequently anyway.

Obviously if I'm wearing snow boots, I will remove them on tiled surfaces. However, the question is whether shoes are worn in the home, not necessarily whether the boots you just walked through the slush are worn in your home.

might want to move.

This is not complicated. Wake up, get out of bed, walk to bathroom in whatever you are currently wearing. Shower, dry off, walk to bedroom, dress, done.

I have this lovely thing called heat in my home, which allows me to walk from my bathroom to my bedroom either without clothing or in a towel.

Then again, its not that much of a burden to bring a pair of undergarments and a t-shirt with you into the bathroom.

4. otc

otc Senior member

But what if I need my shoes to charge my gadgets?

Also on a few points others have made...I am not from a warm climate, I have lived only in places with icky winters. In the winter if it has been a few days since it last snowed, the ground outside is usually clear and dry, but otherwise people always remove shoes or boots without question (or remove boots to put on shoes). Nobody in this thread is saying that they would walk around their own house in muddy boots.

Second, as someone else mentioned, this applies most to short visits and parties...you show up at someone's place before going to dinner and have to wait for them to get ready...who wants to untie and retie shoes for a 5 minute visit? If you are going to be lounging around on their couch for hours watching a movie, of course shoes come off for comfort.

As to the unwashed raw denim...maybe that is a bit extreme, but what about wool pants and suits? How often do you clean them? SF approved cleaning is very infrequent as long as you keep them brushed (just like brushing off your feet) and your pants spend many (sometimes sweaty) hours sitting on an office chair which has probably never been washed and has been sat on my all manner of pants--unwashed denim, suits that you sat on a nasty park bench in, khakis that enjoyed a nice brush with the bathroom floor when you were taking a dump.

5. juniper

juniper Senior member

Strangely, not all the people who live with me want to see me naked. Odd, that.

6. RSS

RSS Senior member

I never expected to get the number of responses that I find posted!

I can't imagine what some others might think if I let it be known that my beagles are welcome on my bed. So I just won't mention it. Of course, the bed is changed daily.

Why thank you. When I travel to be a guest in one's home -- or even when staying in a hotel -- I usually bring a pair of favorite Cleverley slippers ... in black leather and corduroy. And I typically have with me a pair or two of socks I don't mind wearing around the house -- or hotel room -- as a slipper substitute. Frankly, I'm comfortable enough with you two that I wouldn't mind wearing those. My comment was more about a brief visit for an evening meeting and/or dinner.

I do understand if there is snow and ice. Both recent occasions I experienced a 'no shoe rule' were in Orinda in the month of August ... where there is no snow and ice. And both were occasions where we were frequently going inside to outside and back ... which made my lace-up bluchers a pain. At one point I looked down and I was on the terrace in my socks! That was a bit purpose defeating.

Don't tell anyone, but during warm months ... I will often go barefoot around my own house ... in fact I'm that way right now. Although usually I wear slippers.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  7. StephenHero

StephenHero Senior member

This issue is fascinating. Wasn't there a thread on it a couple years back that got out of hand?

8. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

People have very strong feelings about this! :laugh:

9. RSS

RSS Senior member

I found it very amusing when at one of these events my former business partner -- a very all-American person of Japanese ancestry -- came over to me and said, "What is it with Chip and Muffy and the 'no shoes rule? You'd think we were at my long decesased grandmother's house."

10. Christopher Essex

Christopher Essex Senior member

Based on the responses in this thread, it seems that most people fall into the 'shoes off inside rule'.

Regardless, I can't see us changing how we do things at home.

11. james_timothy

james_timothy Senior member

Off of foot, you mean?

12. StephenHero

StephenHero Senior member

Do what you want. If I invite you over, I assume you're responsible enough to not fuck my home up and that you can comprehend whether your shoes are dirty or not.

13. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

I think as hosts it is important to make your guests feel as welcome as possible - and that graciousness puts the guest's comfort above the mere maintenance of 'things'.

But I also think there is a distinction between frequent guests who might be very close to you and occasional guests who are in your home only once for a large cocktail party or only occasionally for a dinner etc. etc.

In other words - if you have a no shoes policy in your home then I think it's fine to make it known to those who visit your home frequently. But conversely it's just rude in my mind to make infrequent guests abide by such rules. If whatever you have on your floors is so precious to you that you can't abide it taking a little dirt or a spill then either roll it up before you have the event or don't entertain people in your home.

I for one, find it a little off putting to be made to feel like the host's rugs are more important to them than I am.

I do respect that in some locales and cultures shoes off inside is the norm and in that case I'm in full support of it - as guests would have reason to expect to follow local customs.

14. james_timothy

james_timothy Senior member

And thirdly, the code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules...

15. kasakka

kasakka Senior member

In that case, I would keep the shoes on but not venture far inside the home. I wouldn't want a guest to have shoes on and walk around my living room or bedroom but it's ok to have shoes on and wait near the front door if we're going out in a few minutes.

It pretty much comes to common sense:

• Take shoes off to keep the floor clean (this is also a mental thing - even if your shoes are not dirty, the idea that you've walked thru who knows what on the street is what makes people perceive them as dirty, thus it does not apply to other garments)
    • Take shoes off to make yourself more comfortable (who wants to wear shoes all day?). Sweaty feet should not be an issue, nobody is going around sniffing your feet and hopefully your diet and whatnot isn't something that causes your feet to smell like a garbage dump from further away.
    • Keep shoes on if you're going out the door in a moment.

16. otc

otc Senior member

That was probably my thread which I posted after being annoyed at being made to take my shoes off one summer by someone whose own feet (and the inside of their flipflops) were blackened by walking around barefoot to the point where I would prefer to lick the bottom of my shoe than to touch their foot with my tongue. The kicker is that I was paying rent for the use of this living room...

I think it soon turned into a parade of idiots doing the same "I would never again speak to someone who insisted I remove my shoes" crap that this thread has turned into. Everybody knows that the only proper response is to comply and go post your annoyance on SF.

I can at least say that while we still lived there, shoes were allowed to stay on for parties :)

17. RSS

RSS Senior member

While I'd have expressed myself differently, I appreciate this resonse.

I appreciate this one as written.

18. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

I would think this is going to differ a lot based on location.

Can't we at least all agree that a party of sorts is going to be mostly a "shoes on" event, while a more casual gathering may or may not (depending on the host) be a "shoes off" event?

19. Dib

Dib Senior member

+1

I spend most of my time in London and it is second nature for me, and most people I know, to instinctively remove our shoes when entering someone's house. The vast majority of households I know remove their shoes before walking around the house (and to be honest, the thought of wearing outdoor shoes around the house seems to me to be a little bit disgusting). I know floors are not 100% clean, but why would you want to exacerbate the problem by making them even more dirty (particularly when it can be so easily avoided by removing shoes). For example, most men will use a public toilet at some point during the day (e.g. at work) - without going into too much detail, if you are using a urinal, the chances are you are standing in some residual urine from people who have been using that urinal before you/throughout the day. Why would you then want to wear the same shoes around the house, spreading that same urine wherever you walk?

I've been surprised by those people who have said they find it rude to be asked to remove their shoes at someone elses house, particulary the above post. Somone should go to hell simply because they prefer for shoes not to be worn around their house? What is it that is so offensive about their request?

The inconvenience of having to remove/put on your shoes? - this literally takes a matter of seconds.

The fact that your feet/socks may get dirty? - so you don't want your feet/socks to get dirty (which can be easily cleaned) but it is acceptable to get someone else's floor dirty with your shoes (which would take much longer and be more difficult to clean).

The fact that a host should be hospitable and make their guests feel welcome and comfortable? - this works both ways and is no more important than a guest's obligation to respect the requests and wishes of a homeowner (particularly where such requests are not difficult to comply with and where there is a perfectly sensible reason behind them).

20. malat

malat Senior member

My wife and I take off our shoes at the front door. We keep a basket of new unworn slippers near the door for guests (they are mostly free slippers we have collected during air travel). I didn't do this before I met her, but now I can't imagine any other way.