Houses with 'No Shoe' Rules

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by RSS, Aug 25, 2011.

1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Doing that now, thanks.

Edit: But wait, yeah and these assholes that make you take off your shoes have animals! THAT GO OUTSIDE. That's fucking disgusting. And I have to take off my shoes... Pssh.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  2. RSS

RSS Senior member

Hey, hey ... it's my thread and not even I have read it start to finish. I certainly don't expect those visting a thread I've started to do any differently.

3. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

Good point. This thread is quite the can of worms.

4. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

So, they invite me over, make me take off my shoes, then allow their big, dirty slobbering dog jump all over my expensive threads numerous times as they smile and think it is cute and acceptable. I was raised to allow guests to be at most ease. These fuckers we are talking about just about torture you. Come to think of it, the next time I am invited to anybody's house I am going to err on the side of caution and respond with the polite, "No, thanks."

5. facet

facet Senior member

I don't understand; your two responses to my posts seem to present two different answers on equality, which seems to be debatable based on the responses so far in this thread. If they are equals, then the host has every right to set their house rules. That being said, a good host would, or should, go out of their way to ensure the comfort of their guest.

But even if they weren't equals, and to address Bounders point of the host's obligation to the guest, I find it hard to believe that the obligation is skewed so far onto the host to justify the attitudes of those in here who have characterized those hosts who have made such requests as "assholes" and "rude" which is more my own point. Especially when there is a reasonable explanation for such a request, that it's evident that such a request, generally speaking, is more than just a personal quirk and that such a request could hardly be characterized as imposing undue hardship on the guest in the majority of social settings. The respect factor, which I'm not directing at you specifically as we both seem to be in agreement on this, goes both ways. If I'm a guest at someone's house, I'm going to have the courtesy of being mindful of the traditions of their house, just as you have already expressed. Certainly a list of demands would be going to far; I don't think anybody is in disagreement there and then we could start labeling the host as such. But this one thing? Really? Do people really take their shoes this seriously (rhetorical question, this being styleforum and all)?

6. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

As a host , I always tell my guests to keep their shoes on if they wish to...

I have wooden floors and do not need to force them to have cold feet all night...

As a guest , I always offer to take my shoes off even if I prefer keeping them on...

I always try to treat people the same way I want to be treated myself..

It's a good simple rule...

7. kev777

kev777 Senior member

+1000

8. RSS

RSS Senior member

They are equals as adults. To say my house = my rules puts one over the other in an almost parent/child like relationship. It's rather akin to the parent who says to his child "It's my house and as long as you live here you will do what I say." But, the invited guest does live with the host. The host has asked or invited the guest inside.

This is not to say that the host has no responsibility to make his guest feel welcome. If one is going to invite another in, he has the responsibility to make his guest feel welcome.

Moreover, this is not to imply that a guest shouldn't make an attempt to accommodate the wishes (as they are made known) of his host.

My house, my rules may be fine with children ... but not with invited adult guests. I'd go so far as to say that people who take this tone with invited guests should be prepared to hear 'no thank you.'

9. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

RSS , didn't know you name was Patrick...

10. RSS

RSS Senior member

No no ... I'm just being a good host. I was trying to say that I, the OP, haven't read the entire thread ... others should not be expected to have done so.

11. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

I try to be a good host...

I actually prefer taking care of people than being a guest...

12. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

(insert clapping guy gif here)

13. RSS

RSS Senior member

duplicat post

14. RSS

RSS Senior member

Both sides of the coin work for me. I enjoy being invited into the houses of friends ... especially those who have the ability to put me at ease. I also enjoy having friends over and making every effort to have them feel comfortable.

As you noted:

15. bfong

bfong New Member

I am the opposite. I'm from Toronto, and it is pretty common to remove your shoes. However, when I have a party or anything I usually just have everyone keep on their shoes as it is part of the outfit. I never actually experienced people keeping on their shoes in a house on a regular basis until I traveled to Dubai...

If on a regular basis you just go into your own home with shoes on.....something just seems dirty and wrong with that. I'd feel like I'm bringing all of the streets of Toronto and the subway into my home. Gross no thank you. I keep my place spotless and I am not a pet person.