• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

House Season Premiere TONIGHT 9/5 at 8pm

mrchapel

Reaction score
Just thought I'd post a note to fellow House fans.

PREMIERE DATE: Tuesday, September 5, 2006
PREMIERE TIME: 8pm (not 9pm as it used to be)
PREMIERE CHANNEL: Fox

Here's a link that lists all Fall Premieres:

http://www.tv.com/story/story.html&story_id=5718

What shows are you gearing up for?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
New shows I'm gonna check out:

Heroes
Til Death
Ugly Betty

Old shows I'll watch fo sho:
LOST
Desperate Housewives

New season I'm watching now:
Weeds
Justice

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Wire starts its fourth season Sunday night on HBO. One of my favorites.

gmac

Reaction score
I belive we are going through a period of great television drama and comedy. I'm sure everyone knows the shows which I am referring to.

However, I have one major beef at the American production system and that is that they do not know when to let good thing go. House was amazing in the first season and good in the second but the problem with these shows continuing on ad infinitum is that they have to come up with ever more ludicrous plot lines to keep the viewer engaged.

Network sitcoms, like Friends say, which are not generally very good, have to come up with, what, 30 episodes a season? No wonder the quality is diluted.

I cite, as an example of how things can be done differently, 2 British shows. There were only ever 12 episodes of Fawlty Towers made. The original (and far superior) version of The Office again has only 12 episodes plus 2 specials shown a couple of years later. Both are undoubted classics.

I'm not doubting the quality of a lot of American TV, it really can be fantastic (particularly HBO) but I just feel that somethimes they need to let things go.....

mrchapel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gmac
I belive we are going through a period of great television drama and comedy. I'm sure everyone knows the shows which I am referring to.

However, I have one major beef at the American production system and that is that they do not know when to let good thing go. House was amazing in the first season and good in the second but the problem with these shows continuing on ad infinitum is that they have to come up with ever more ludicrous plot lines to keep the viewer engaged.

Network sitcoms, like Friends say, which are not generally very good, have to come up with, what, 30 episodes a season? No wonder the quality is diluted.

I cite, as an example of how things can be done differently, 2 British shows. There were only ever 12 episodes of Fawlty Towers made. The original (and far superior) version of The Office again has only 12 episodes plus 2 specials shown a couple of years later.

I'm not doubting the quality of a lot of American TV, it really can be fantastic (particularly HBO) but I just feel that somethimes they need to let things go.....

I agree with you. I'm not a huge, huge fan of American TV though. A lot of it is pure rubbish, except for, IMO, 24, Entourage, and House. I'm a big fan of the British spy drama Spooks (rebadged MI-5 on American tv's, which, interestingly, A&E is showing MI-5 at 11pm on September 15, but they're exactly one year behind because they are premiering Season 4, whilst Season 5 of the show is to premiere in the UK a couple of days later on the 18th.) If it wasn't for the internet and BitTorrent, I'd be behind. A&E completely pulled the show off the air for an entire year, and it still isn't promoting it. I'm quite sick of these cable channels (A&E and Bravo mainly) dumping what used to be quality programming in favor of crap reality shows. Sorry, end rant.

gmac

Reaction score
Oh, there is definitely an awful lot of garbage out there. But, I think, at the top end TV is better than it has ever been. 24, Entourage and House are all great - but I would say that 24 and House could be put to bed now.

Other shows that I think are awesome are Deadwood, Weeds, Band of Brothers (mini series), Six Feet Under, The Sporanos (again, has run its course, maybe overstayed its welcome), Arrested Development, and many others that i can't think of right now.

mrchapel

Reaction score
Oh, there is definitely an awful lot of garbage out there. But, I think, at the top end TV is better than it has ever been. 24, Entourage and House are all great - but I would say that 24 and House could be put to bed now.

Other shows that I think are awesome are Deadwood, Weeds, Band of Brothers (mini series), Six Feet Under, The Sporanos (again, has run its course, maybe overstayed its welcome), Arrested Development, and many others that i can't think of right now.

Again gmac, I agree with you in reference to 24 and House could both be put down. Their format is predictable; although recent interviews with Kiefer Sutherland seem to clue that the new season of 24 coming in January will be a lot different than what we're used to. I hope that's the case, because the genre that 24 is in has a world of material to go off of. But I suppose the end game is the same; Jack saves the day. It would be nice to see Jack NOT save the day. Perhaps make it more real.

House on the other hand is still a young show compared to 24. I think a format change now would do House well. Let's see what this season as in store for us.

gmac

Reaction score
I'll admit that I didn't see a great deal of season 2 of House so I should perhaps reserve judgement - it just seemed that his constantly obnoxious behaviour, while initailly amusing, became, well, obnoxious......

Jack Bauer is a great character and I wouldn't presume to tell them how to pep 24 up - but I hope they do something to mix things up a little. Like, as you say, Jack not saving the world....

I thought Arrested Development had peaked and was starting to decline when it was cancelled.

Frasier is aprime example of what can happen when shows hang on too long - the last season was excruciating after giving us years of gentle pleasure.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
House
Weeds

... are the two I'm watching.

Nothing else out there (that I know of) that's begging me to watch it.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
House is nice fiction.

No Doctor exists like this for long; except ones that get fined and go to prision.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like House, but yeah, I'm not sure how much longer they can go for. I'm sure they can always think of weird diseases for people to have, but eventually it's going to get old. Entourage is awesome. The Sopranos - fuggedaboudit. Funny how really good shows seem to take place in New Jersey (House and Sopranos).
smile.gif

gmac

Reaction score
I just watched it - was bored by 40 minutes in and went to do other things.

Sorry!

mrchapel

Reaction score
I just watched it - was bored by 40 minutes in and went to do other things.

Sorry!

It wasn't exactly the most thrilling opener; but gmac if you had seen the Season Finale a lot more would have made sense to you I am sure. He got shot by an ex-patient last season finale.

gmac

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrchapel
It wasn't exactly the most thrilling opener; but gmac if you had seen the Season Finale a lot more would have made sense to you I am sure. He got shot by an ex-patient last season finale.

Yeah, I'd gotten that from promo material.

I just wasn't that interested in the two cases that were being looked at and the dynamic of the show seemed not to have changed.

But I'll give it another try next week - I love Hugh Laurie, have done for over 20 years since he showed up British TV. Did you know he rowed for Cambridge (or was it Oxford?) in the Boat Race? Do people in the States know about the Boat Race?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads