• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

House of Salgado (Toronto)

RyanM

Reaction score

Mildly Consumptive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have no experience with Salgado, but I don't think any of those places you mention offers bespoke.

aragon765

Reaction score
I have not heard of him, but his website is full of
redx.gif

Looks like an interesting character on the videos....

cancel.sing

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mildly Consumptive
I have no experience with Salgado, but I don't think any of those places you mention offers bespoke.

Trend is definitely bespoke...

Verso

Reaction score
I have a Salgado shirt, which I quite like. I believe it's MTM, not bespoke. No fittings (apart from initial measurement, of course).

RyanM

Reaction score
I have no experience with Salgado, but I don't think any of those places you mention offers bespoke
Yes, that's why I was asking if anyone knows if Salgado is "true Bespoke"

cancel.sing

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mildly Consumptive
What makes you say that? What do you consider "bespoke"?

Trend does individually designed and patterned garments to your specifications. That's what I understand bespoke to mean. It isn't a pre-existing pattern made to your measurements, which is what I'd call MTM. It's from the ground up, for you.

Also, from their website:
"A true bespoke experience is offered by Trend Custom Tailors, bespoke meaning "A garment cut by an individual, for an individual, made by an individual"."

Why do you say they aren't bespoke, out of curiousity?

Mustapha

Reaction score
Boy, there are a LOT of Torontonians here.

Hi everyone.

And Trend is bespoke.

cancel.sing

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MilanoStyle
According to Thomas Mahon,S.R. bespoke tailor, true bespoke service goes further than just hand cutting for an individual: http://www.englishcut.com/archives/000005.html I don't know if any bespoke tailors in Toronto make a suit near hand made.
Interesting. Thanks for the link. I'd perused his blog before but hadn't read that article for some reason. I think that, for the price, Trend is probably as bespoke as Toronto gets, no? There's another shop near my house called Bulloch Tailors. Anyone had any experience with them? EDIT: Reading their website, it sounds like Bulloch pretty definitely is made-to-measure.

RyanM

Reaction score
Actually today I was just at Stavros (sp?) on Cumberland in Yorkville. I was just walking by and, saw the "bespoke" sign and I think I had heard the name Stavros on one of the toronto threads.
Anyways, the guy inside the shop told me he was the apprentice, and the shop does offer true bespoke, by a master tailor and all the work gets done down stairs. We talked a little about "tailors" who in fact only offer, i guess what you would call "high end MTM" and how few master bespoke tailors there are in toronto. I asked him about Trend but he's never even heard of them (so maybe they are not a true bespoke shop?). He also showed me some examples of the canvassing inside the jackets, and he also showed me a book with some Super 180 wool samples. (He thought I was some sort of Ryerson fashion student b/c I knew all the terminology, processes ,etc I didn't want to tell him it's just b/c I spend too much lurking styleforum and reading flusser books). But I'm glad I got to spoke to an apprentice, since, as a student I can't exactly afford bespoke right now, I'm more interesting in learning about the apprenticeship process, to learn how to be a tailor, so that's mostly what we talked about.
So, I think stavros would be a shop in toronto that for sure offers "true bespoke". Prices start at $3500.
Oh, and I also went to this place on davenport, called Jean Paul and the sign says he is a shirtmaker, but when I went in to talk to him i found out he does suits too, and i think he does womens stuff as well. We talked for a long time, and he's quite a character; but anyways he was trained in both england and milan, after he left ryerson. it sounds like he has hired a couple of women to help him out as seamstresses/cutters, also he has a a special right now where he is offering 3 shirts for $599, but it's only from a small selection of fabric that he's trying to get rid of.

edit: I'm going to go to this House of Salgado tomorrow, to see what they offer

Omega Man

Reaction score
The store used to be at the concourse level in Royal Bank Plaza. Now it is located under the TD Bank Towers. They also offer "custom made" shoes. Please check it out and report back. Thanks.

cancel.sing

Reaction score
Originally Posted by remy185
I asked him about Trend but he's never even heard of them (so maybe they are not a true bespoke shop?).

Thanks for sharing! I've been meaning to go around myself but I haven't yet. Trend is a small shop in a rather innocuous second floor space so perhaps that's why the man you spoke to hadn't heard of them. They made the swearing-in suit for a prominent politician. I'm pretty sure they're worth a look. Quote from the owner in a magazine article:

"On the Meaning of Bespoke: Bespoke means that you're speaking with your tailor. It means that the work is done right on the premises, that you're being served by a very small group of individuals, and that those people are directly responsible in-house for your garment. The person who is making your garment is your cutter, your fitter, your re-cutter, and has the technical ability to make the whole garment start to finish - by himself."

Also...

"I think a lot of people associate bespoke with being an ostentatious service. I don't agree with that. It's certainly not a business, for me, that is based on greed. The suits I make will cost you between $750 and $1 700. This is less than most, but, like I said, it's not supposed to be an ostentatious service. I don't think a suit made in this manner should cost $6 000 or $7 000."

Trend sounds really good to me, and IMHO sounds like it's as authentically bespoke as any of the other tailors in this city. Of course that's nothing compared to first-hand experience with them, which I, as yet, don't have. I thought about getting a shirt made by them later this year, since I can't afford a suit right now...
frown.gif
The owner's name is Don Lee and according to that article he's the youngest bespoke tailor in Canada, at thirty-one years of age.

Mildly Consumptive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cancel.sing
The suits I make will cost you between $750 and $1 700.

To me, this quote indicates that Mr Trend will make you a $750 suit. Unfortunately, you can't get "true bespoke," as Tom Mahon defines it, for $750. $750 barely covers the cost of good cloth from a first-rate merchant like H. Lesser.

In Canada, it would be difficult to get a tasteful bespoke suit made from an individual pattern, from good cloth, that is "hand-made", for less than $2500-3000.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads