• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"House of Cards" Baltimore casting call

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is probably a tl:dr type of post but...
I am no stranger to stepping on my dcik when talking to people IRL but I'll admit to a number of stunningly stupid events over the past few days.

I had naively thought that most everyone else in the room was like me, rearranging our lives to fit it into this amusing interruption. I am an interloper in this acting game. A walk-on who is getting some breaks mostly by happenstance and when all of us "BG" (Back Ground) folk are gathered in our holding area, people tend to while away the wait by chatting about themselves and asking the perennially favorite question, "How did you get started?"

In the beginning, I told the truth. It was a fun thing to do in some nice clothes on a Sunday afternoon. I expected nothing in the way of a call back and had forgotten about the whole deal. I always keep in mind that I was number 519 with a long line behind me at that first cattle call so I'm thinking that they sure were going to use a lot of people!

I have come to learn that this is only partly true.

There have been some larger scenes shot in churches and the opera house using upwards of 200 BG but by and large, Central Casting has been scrambling to fill many of the spots. The people that I have spoken with have told me stories of how they have been doing this for years and they tick off the titles of the movies and TV shows in which they have worked. I've heard stories like, "Russell Crowe literally trips over my foot but you can't even tell that I'm in the scene! :( " Then they tell me stories of others they know who love the business and show up religiously for every casting call yet never get selected. In that holding room, I look around at the others (and include myself) and realize that we were not chosen because of our great looks. Truthfully, if you saw the women in a bar, your gaze might linger briefly on them and then move on to better pickings but at the end of the night, you'd settle for almost any one of them and not be unhappy in the morning, figuratively speaking. The men initially look just like average guys but there's a characteristic that you can see about them that makes you realize that if they were standing in a group with nine other regular guys, your eye would be drawn to this one. That said, however, no one in the BG group looks better than the stars.

In the beginning, we all tended to cheer each other on when someone got some coveted "quality screen seconds" close to the camera. As the scenes went on however, despite the P.A.'s insistence that she was making sure everybody got on film, it's become clear that some of the group are more "featured" than others and are placed in longer scenes, closer to the camera. I don't know how long it will last but I place myself in the "featured" group.

But I'm off my original point regarding foot in mouth disease. All of the above was of little importance to me since I had zero expectations going in to this. Then I started answering the others' questions to me.

Guy Who Looks Like Larry From The 3 Stooges: I started doing this in High School productions and went back to it when I lost my job as a real journalist. How about you?
Dig: Ha ha, it's kind of funny! The only time in my life that I was on stage was in a play in the second grade. This is all new to me.
GWLLLFT3S: Really? (Backs away with a look on his face that says there's a big stamp on my forehead that says "HASN'T PAID DUES BUT IS GETTING BREAKS!")
Dig: :embar:

Bald Guy Who Looks Like A Lifelong Bachelor: Did you have to bring a car for today's shoot as well?
Dig: Ha ha, it's kind of funny! When I originally filled out my application, I listed two of my cars and couldn't decide which to bring today!
BGWLLALB: How fortunate that you have more than one vehicle from which to choose. (in a dry tone that suggests that I'm an elitist 1 percenter)

Paper Shuffler Guy: It sure is a long day's work for $85! I've been on smaller shoots where I made union scale and got two meals a day.
Dig: Ha ha, it's kind of funny! I'd give up a day's pay just to get my hands on one of the prop mugs that say "WASHINGTON HERALD"!
PSG: I'm hoping to start working at my regular job again in a couple of weeks since being laid off a while back. Living indoors is more preferable to me that living outside. (stares at his feet as though he's just admitted to me that he's been living in a tent for several months)

Now I say as little as possible and stare at my cell phone (because EVERYONE there has one of those, regardless of their situation) because that's how they get their calls from Central Casting.

I am a humbler man for the experience.

Last edited:

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can relate to that - I really tried to keep in mind that there was a mixed crowd. While the $85 day pay is a fraction of an hour, that money may mean a lot to some others. When we were checking out, a guy in line was chatting with me (he was rather loud) and joking about the money. I laughed it off a bit. Then another guy joined the conversation - turns out he was unemployed and fell back to some acting stuff...this was paying his bills. I couldn't believe that the first guy went on joking about the menial pay when this second guy needed it to pay the bills. :brick:

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did anyone make the date?

Another casting call anounced for ‘House of Cards’ in D.C.

“House of Cards,” the Netflix-produced political drama starring Kevin Spacey and Robin Wright, has already held two casting calls in and around Baltimore, MD, where the show is currently filming, but apparently they are still in need of extras.

On Sunday, May 20, 901 Restaurant in Washington D.C. is hosting an open casting call for the series from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m.

Producers are looking for people of all ethnicities from 21 to 70 years of age to play Members of Congress, staffers, lobbyists, aides and interns.

Those interested in attending should bring a non-professional snapshot, as well as a headshot and full body shot to the restaurant.

Source: Washington Examiner

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're KILLING me Spoo!

Central Casting website said:
~ NO really bright colors, NO Red, NO White, NO Bright Blue, NO Purple

Washington Herald Staff:
Should be a mix of business and business casual wardrobe in muted earth tone colors.

Men: Sportcoats, dress shirts (avoid blue dress shirts of any kind), trousers or dress slacks. No jeans. Business casual with dress shoes and belts. Ties should be conservative, no loud colors or patterns.

WEAR ONE COMPLETE OUTFIT AND BRING 4 COMPLETE AND DIFFERENT CHANGES!

That's FIVE shirts of a color of which I owned virtually NONE! I been had Goodwill like a fiend in hopes of finding some better shirts in my size and the colors they want but FIVE!!!? And now they say they'll probably need us again tomorrow!

:fu:
:plain:

Last edited:

Parterre

Reaction score
No K-PAX today. Just
Kate Mara

Is that you, Mattie Storin? Sorry to burst in here like that, but House of Cards is my favorite television series- the best I've ever seen. Looking good, can't wait to see you and the actual series.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is that you, Mattie Storin? Sorry to burst in here like that, but House of Cards is my favorite television series- the best I've ever seen. Looking good, can't wait to see you and the actual series.

She plays Zoe Barnes who equates to your beloved Mattie.

I had a GREAT time today! Wardrobe okayed all of my clothing options and didn't need to issue me anything from their stock at all this time.

This episode features the new director who is replacing Fincher who may have finished both of the two initial hours that he was to direct. I was having a pretty good day at my usual "desk" location and probably got into a lot of shots but for the final scene today, they pulled me from my desk and put me at the desk outside of the editor's office. I was specifically directed do a reaction shot to an event and I'm close enough to the camera that they had to put makeup on to cut down on my massively shiny forehead.

This stuff is AWESOME!

Going back for MOAR tomorrow.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried the Spinach Smoothie during the meal break, Friday. I'm quite certain that my level of enjoyment was such that I'll never need to partake of another.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They're at it again! This afternoon in Bel Air. Plenty of time for you guys to get dressed, print out a head shot and beat feet up there.

Netflix 'House of Cards' sets open casting call Sunday in Bel Air

Looking for reporter, Capitol Hill and 'elegant Washington' types

June 04, 2012|By David Zurawik | The Baltimore Sun

The Producers of "House of Cards," the $100 million series starring Kevin Spacey and Robin Wright, are going to hold an open casting call Sunday in Bel Air.

The call, which will be held at the Bel Air Armory from 3 to 8 p.m, is aimed at finding union and non-union extras who "may also be considered for recurring or featured roles."

The address of the armory is 41 North Main Street in Bel Air.

The series, which has a guarantee of 26 episodes, is shooting on main soundstages in Harford County, as well as a soundstage at the Baltimore Sun, and various area locations.

Here are the details of what Central Casting, the casting agents for the production, seek:

HILL STAFFERS, AIDES, REPORTERS

21-34 yr old, ALL ETHNICITIES, MALE AND FEMALE

POLITICIANS, LOBBYIST, REPORTERS

40-60 yr old, ALL ETHNICITIES, MALE AND FEMALE

ELEGANT WASHINGTON TYPES

40-60 yr old, ALL ETHNICITIES, MALE AND FEMALE

TEENAGERS

Young men and Women ages 18 and up.

BUSINESS ATTIRE IS REQUIRED FOR THE CALL!! BRING A CURRENT HEADSHOT. IF NO HEADSHOT, A CURRENT SNAPSHOT IS SATISFACTORY.

IF you are UNABLE to attend and have NOT yet submitted, please [email protected]

Include a JPEG photo labeled with both your name and phone number and in the body of the email INCLUDE ALL YOUR SIZES along with height and weight. DO NOT FORGET TO INCLUDE A CURRENT PHONE NUMBER!!

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hmmmmmmmm might be a good way to spend the day.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good thread.
Digmenow- keep the posts coming.

Last edited:

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was called to be a stand-in for tomorrow - can't make it though...that might have been interesting :fu:

Last edited:

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got called for background duty again yesterday in my recurring 'role' as a Washington Herald reporter. The official call time was 8:30 PM and it got pushed back to 10:30 PM. I showed up in the proscribed outfit and the wardrobe lady remembered me. She had me open my small suitcase and pulled out a completely different outfit based on things that I recalled that she had previously mentioned being some of her favorite choices.

Then they rewrote the shot and it went from being an indoor set piece to an outdoor scene where I was then selected to be a pedestrian walking past the actors along the sidewalk wearing my tan raincoat. It completely obliterated the rest of the wardrobe choices! :fu:

They shot the scene at 4 AM and wrapped for the day.

Now I'm off to work on about 3 hours' sleep. :dozingoff:

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads