• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

House of Boateng

GreyFlannelMan

Reaction score
So I just caught the first episode of "House of Boateng." I thought it was somewhat interesting, and have very mixed feelings.

First, OB lacks a certain charisma on film. He comes off a bit smug, and the numerous shots of him driving around in his Bentley don't help.

The "confrontation" with the model before the V&A show was a bit silly:

Model: "There's no energy or spirit here because there's no food!"
OB: There are sandwiches...
Model: Men don't eat sandwiches!

OB eventually sacks the model before the show begins.

Some of his clothes are really nice. I may not wear a mustard or orange colored suit, but I definitely saw pieces that I could wear.

His wife is quite beautiful too.

Let's see if I warm up to it more with epi 2...

Catchcall

Reaction score
Hmmm, I like Mr.Boateng's suits and have a few by his Couture line. But I work in engineering so they are a little loud for everyday.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
there are a ton of billboards all over town for this show, and i still don't know when it's on or on which channel.
tongue.gif

koobalicious

Reaction score
^^ it's on the Sundance Channel (it was channel 168 on comcast but i live on the east coast) at 9pm EST on thursday nights...we've actually been talking about the show here: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...hlight=boateng

anyway, i like the way it was shot - love seeing London in action and the buzz of the fashion world, behind-the-scenes. having helped a friend launch her handbag business not too long ago (OT - i want my own someday) i am really interested in seeing how he goes about building his business from scratch here in the US.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm watching the show as we speak and I think that OB is looking a lot like the next Nick Lachey(Newlyweds).

Kamala

Reaction score
I liked the show. I think Boateng will definitely be a hit in the U.S. with the younger, hip crowd. Jamie Foxx, Brian McKnight, Will Smith are already wearing his suits. All Boateng needs is a Kanye West endorsement and he's good to go.

As far as the clothes, I liked them. I wouldn't wear some of the colored suits. But his more traditional colored suits I would wear, not to work (law office), but out on the town. Also, Boateng himself cuts quite a dashing figure, if I may say so myself. BTW, I liked the Bentley.
smile.gif

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
mfff. It's hard for me to think of him in his Berlutis swanning around without thinking of the two immigrant mailmen who stole a million pounds in the mail and became devoted customers of Boateng and Berluti.

korinkahn

Reaction score
He swears far to much- I had no idea he tried to crack america once before I did not know him until 2 months ago, why do you think he failed before with celebs behind him?

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Catchcall
Hmmm, I like Mr.Boateng's suits and have a few by his Couture line. But I work in engineering so they are a little loud for everyday.

Boateng's legacy will be a number of short lived fads not a substantial one of classic designs always to be seen. he has a name not a lot more.

Remember the 1960s? Teddy boy suits etc

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR
Boateng's legacy will be a number of short lived fads not a substantial one of classic designs always to be seen. he has a name not a lot more.

Remember the 1960s? Teddy boy suits etc

I disagree. I don't think his suits are 'fad-y' at all, many are pretty classic British silhouettes but he uses very vivid out-there colors. (btw Teds were more mid 50s, they were pretty much done by the 60s until the 70s revival with Crazy Cavan, Sandy Ford et al
tongue.gif
)

Saw the show, which I was looking very forward to, as I have a couple OB suits and some shirts and really like what he has to offer. I thought the show was well put together. For a 30 minute program, they paced it well so a lot was put into it and they didnt linger too much on one thing or another. He does come off smug but I wouldnt expect him not to. Fortunately there didn't seem to be an manufactured drama like "Blow Out"

I'm still wondering where his US store is supposed to be, as I heard that at one point he was looking at retail spots on Robertson in LA, but NYC seems more likely.

mrchapel

Reaction score
For the life of me I can't remember where I read this, but I was reading about him the other day. When he tried to break it in the states before, it was in NYC. It didn't take well so he went back across the pond. Anyway, the article said he'd be trying again - except this time in LA, where it is felt that he'd receive a much better reception.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrchapel
the article said he'd be trying again - except this time in LA, where it is felt that he'd receive a much better reception.

that's great, but I'm not anticipating the serious hit on my wallet if Ozwald opens a purple palace of goodness, right near my pink palace of goodness (the paul smith store)

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
damnit, my cable service's menu/schedule is wrong and doesn't actually show when it will be on. It didn't show it at 9pm on Thu but rather at midnight. And it doesn't show up that according to the Sundance channel website it will be on on Sunday at 2 and 9pm again.

So I missed it. I'll try on Sunday.

Btw, there's a new season of Project Runway coming up starting July 22 or 27th or something.

bob

koobalicious

Reaction score
hmm that's very strange re: your cable... if you missed it, there are episode guides and scenes from the show on the sundance channel's official site and also on AOL Black Voices.

i'm excited about the next episode to see how it all turns out - 30 minutes is too short!
tounge.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads