Hourly rate for expert witness

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by bkk, Jun 17, 2010.

1. bkk

bkk Senior member

I was contacted about helping as an expert witness in a court case. What are some good resources for determining what my hourly rate should be? Google has given me too many useless links.

2. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

$377.95

3. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

Charge by the word

4. nightmair

nightmair Active Member

It all depends on your level of expertise, and what they are willing to pay. Decide what your time is worth, then see what they say. You may want to shoot a bit high, so you have bargaining room. For instance, I have seen Financial expert witnesses recieve anywhere from $300 to over $1000. Obviously the qualifications make a great impact upon wages.

5. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

Nobody wants to talk about hourly rates for this kind of stuff on a public forum for fear of price fixing charges.

6. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

I work at an accounting firm and we have a litigation and dispute practice with expert witness testimony by the partners. We typically only do financial and audit testimony. Typically, the partner will charge $500+/hr for actual time he or she spends in court, reviewing documents, and travel time. There will also be lots of time charged by staff organizing and reviewing documents to prep the expert witness which will add substantial additional time. Sometimes we'll do an agreed-upon flat fee depending on the amount of work that needs to be done but it isn't often in that practice of our firm.

7. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

how much do hookers in your area charge per hour?

8. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

I was contacted about helping as an expert witness in a court case. What are some good resources for determining what my hourly rate should be? Google has given me too many useless links.

Google is your friend.

9. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Nobody wants to talk about hourly rates for this kind of stuff on a public forum for fear of price fixing charges.
    What? That's not really consistent with my experience. This information is openly discussed all the time, just as lawyers' rates are. But as somebody said, it depends a lot on your field and qualifications. Anything from $250 - $750 would be within the range of "normal", with outliers on either end of that. Also, it's not unusual to charge a bit less for prep time, analysis, and report-writing, with a premium and/or daily minimum for actual testimony at trial or in a deposition.

10. Davidko19

Davidko19 Senior member

bout tree fiddy

11. sugar free jazz

sugar free jazz Member

well as an expert witness myself, you should charge $19.95 and a bonus snuggie

12. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

What? That's not really consistent with my experience. This information is openly discussed all the time, just as lawyers' rates are. But as somebody said, it depends a lot on your field and qualifications. Anything from $250 - $750 would be within the range of "normal", with outliers on either end of that. Also, it's not unusual to charge a bit less for prep time, analysis, and report-writing, with a premium and/or daily minimum for actual testimony at trial or in a deposition.

My experience with experts, and especially with lawyers, is that nobody wants to openly discuss what they charge. Everybody is vague when it comes to discussing their fees except when discussing them with actual clients.

13. FidelCashflow

FidelCashflow Senior member

if you're not even expert enough to know what people in your field charge.... [​IMG] Your line of work must have some billout rate for consultants, use that as a starting point.

14. intent

intent Senior member

Recently, I discovered video forensic experts charge $1000 flat rate to testify in court.

15. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

$0. It should be fulfillig enough to have a room packed full of people hanging off your every word an considering you a god.

What's the case on if you don't mind?