• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Houndstooth Sportcoats

MysticAura

Reaction score
Just getting into sport coats and recently I saw a cool houndstooth one but I'm really wondering if that is appropriate for college.

Who is houndstooth fabric really for?

What season is most proper to wear it?

And finally, what houndstooth colors work best?

Thanks!

Duveen

Reaction score
Houndstooth is generally a country fabric and I tend to associate it with winter/fall clothing. Colors range from navy/cream and black/cream to shades of brown and, in some cases, a moss green.

You can get houndstooth coats in linen/flax from Ralph Lauren and others for summer wear, but I've not been able to get myself to buy one. You may feel differently...

In college, I might wear a slim-cut brown houndstooth (the most classic, IMHO, though the navy/cream is quite common, too) with jeans, moleskins or cords. Not sure what your style is, but houndstooth can either go thriftstore chic or totally trad depending on how you wear it. If you go too trad, I'd worry about being seen as impersonating the professors...

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.