• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Houndstooth, Plaids, Checks, can't afford FH

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mendel
Huh, I didn't notice this thread until now. I picked up that shirt in-store a couple weeks ago, wearing it all the time now, love it, lots of comments on it. I especially love walking into higher-end shops, "love your shirt", "you'll never guess where it's from"...
Yeah I tried on the red/orange one, it was quite flattering. But it was $39.95, $10 more than I'd spend on an AE shirt.

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is AE that bad?

I had the same reaction at first, if the same jacket was on ebay or had another label I'd have snatched it up, but I gad second thoughts because of the AE logo.

I realize they cater to a different crown,and people who dress head to toe in their stuff look silly, but I don't really have aproblem picking out some of their best stuff.

Looking back the few AE things I've gotten haven't been duds.

And this shirt, while not spectacularly constructed, isn't any worse than any levis, cinch or wrangler western shirt I've gave.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ruben
Is AE that bad?

I had the same reaction at first, if the same jacket was on ebay or had another label I'd have snatched it up, but I gad second thoughts because of the AE logo.

I realize they cater to a different crown,and people who dress head to toe in their stuff look silly, but I don't really have aproblem picking out some of their best stuff.

Looking back the few AE things I've gotten haven't been duds.

And this shirt, while not spectacularly constructed, isn't any worse than any levis, cinch or wrangler western shirt I've gave.

No, it's just ubiquitous and has a lot of branding. I don't think their clothing is bad and it's usually quite cheap. I actually think a lot of the A&F pieces aren't bad either if they weren't so heavily branded. Their oxford shirts are actually not a terrible value for $69 if it weren't for that damn moose.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ruben
Is AE that bad?
If you meant my comment about not spending $39.95 on AE, it's not that I think it's bad or that I'm elitest. I'm just a cheapskate.

jufros

Reaction score
Can i just say that this thread is totally eye-opening? While it's sad that these excellent bang-for-buck shirts are frowned upon, clothing is an expression of style that people notice. I don't think any of us would have taken an interest in this forum if it were not for that. Branding is an absurdly powerful message sender, much more so in America than quality, construction, etc. I wouldn't wear a shirt with an eagle or a moose on it even if it costed the same as a shirt of lesser quality with no branding on it because I'd rather not project the message that I'm a typical AE or Abercrombie consumer. What does that make me? Elitist? Insecure? haha I'm reading too much into this

Gilead

Reaction score
Luckily I live in australia, where noone knows what the **** american eagle is.

Cali

Reaction score
How is the cut on these AE shirts, are they very slim? Also if anyone has a medium could you post an arm measurement from shoulder seam. The website says 33/34 but I don't trust them, especially after a wash.

Thanks

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
The cut is kinda slim, but not for the size. You probably have to size down to a small from medium as most mall brands like them size strangely. They're not super dior slim or anything, it's just not a box like everything else you find at the mall. It's decently cut even though the sizing is still weird.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From what I noticed, the body of the shirt is cut a bit shorter (.5 to an inch or so), which makes sense coz its not designed for tucking-in.

But even with the shorter body, the sleeves were not too short.

And yes, by 'slim cut', I meant slim compared to other mall-store-brands (regular AE fit, Gap, JCrew, etc.), not like, "Dior" slim.

yoyo

Reaction score
Its surprisingly slim. I decided not to size down as the shirt was just a little bit too short.

yoyo

Reaction score
also, if you order online, save $2.24 with code 61301513

blank

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, even as a college student, I don't like to wear A&F or AE clothes that have branding on them, only because it projects an image that just wouldn't represent me. That said, AE clothes without branding are really nice for the price (rhyme!) and given the choice, I'd take an unbranded AE shirt over an H&M shirt pretty much all the time. I bought a military-like shirt from AE last season and the fabric is nice and thick, durable...it seems like it would last me two or three seasons should I decide to keep it, whereas if I wash a cheap H&M shirt once, I hate to put it on because it feels so uncomfortable.

But yeah, AE, Express, Target, Gap, wherever...there's always going to be something good in there, and always on the cheap.

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can get some measurements up.

FWIW theres a couple other nice westerns they have for $19 and 29 dollars that were nice looking but fit a little better than the checks (just as slim but slightly longer length and sleeves).

As for AE, if they have a good piece at a good price I'll buy it, I'm not a fan of most of their stuff, but I like these western shirts so...

maydenchina

Reaction score
Its too short for you guys? On me, its a tad to long. (I'm trying to start slingin my jeans just a tad lower so the the belt shows and my shirt is right above it... hehe)
They go a little past half way down my zipper. And the sleeves are a tad to long.

This probably could have been fixed if I got a small instead of medium, but they didnt have any smalls at the store i went to
frown.gif

Btw, I'm like, 5'6 or 5'7. Anyone else have the same problem or no?

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Not to get off topic with the AE manlove, but I hope you all have considered ebay a viable option. Case in point:
7ab8_1_b.JPG
Copped tonight off commiEbay. Price? $12. Nino's shirts online start off at £79 (sorry, no houndstooth avail). FC so I'm thinking some black knot cufflinks would be awesome. Thank you ladies and goodnight.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads