• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Houndstooth Overcoat

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What the general opinion on black and white houndstooth overcoats? I have the opportunity to grab a nice one with a good silhouette for a low price. However, I'm not sure when I would wear this versus a camel or navy overcoat.

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unjung
What the general opinion on black and white houndstooth overcoats? I have the opportunity to grab a nice one with a good silhouette for a low price. However, I'm not sure when I would wear this versus a camel or navy overcoat.

elegant if fitted and 3/4 in length.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for weighing in. With suits (navy or grey)? Or casual as well?

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
how big is the houndstooth pattern?

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not something to wear a lot, but I personally think it would be great over formal attire or on 'dressier' evenings.

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unjung
Thanks for weighing in. With suits (navy or grey)? Or casual as well?

I'd imagine it would go well with grey/charcoal suits or odd jackets in a similar color.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wmmk
how big is the houndstooth pattern?

Standard. Nothing ridiculous and big.

Originally Posted by rjmaiorano
Not something to wear a lot, but I personally think it would be great over formal attire or on 'dressier' evenings.

Noted.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Noted. But also should be noted that my opinion may be in the minority. I think it would be great to add a bit of flare or something different, but will deviate from classic or traditional attire.

Biscione

Reaction score
I have one. I love it, but I always prefer overcoats/topcoats when they're not dull. Mine is a topcoat, and it looks fine with a suit, but also great with jeans and corduroy trousers. It also looks good with a flat-coloured cashmere scarf; I particularly like it with a yellow one.

I was ambivalent about it when I purchased it, but it has quickly proven to be a lot more versatile than I had originally expected. Not too many coats can translate well between formal and casual dress, but imho this one does.

Obviously, the pattern needs to be small if you want it to avoid looking feminine.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that they look very nice, particularly if the pattern is small/fine.
I just spent a few weeks in Tokyo and there were a lot of very nice topcoats in fine houndstooth check and glen plaid patterns in the stores there.
I was mightily tempted to pick one up, but it hardly gets below about 60 degrees fahrenheit here in winter and so I would never wear it.

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So long as the pattern isn't too big, they can look great. Can be very retro, in a good way. I have a brown houndstooth raincoat and it makes me feel like I'm in London in the early '60s.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I almost wanted to move to colder climes, just to buy and wear the Ted Baker dogtooth overcoat that was on Gilt a few weeks ago.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads