• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hotel washed my Nudies w/o my instruction

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I got my first pair of nudies about 1.5 months ago, and I'm now in China. I put my Nudies NEAR the Hotel laundry bag. They took my nudies and basically all my clothes near the laundry bag because they "thought" I required their services. Now, my nudies are ruined (washed -no bloody honeycombs or wear or whatever just plain WASHED, AND shrunken, -hot wash hot dry i'm guessing). I've been talking to them for the past 3 days trying to get FULL compensation out of them because it is not just the Laundry side fault that they shrunk/damaged my jeans, also the Hotel should be liable for taking my jeans to wash when I clearly knew the ramifications of a wash and did NOT put it in the laundry bag neither requested for washing.

They are suggesting a Compensation of 10 times the laundry cost, which is 25 yuan x 10 = 250 yuan (USD31.25). I bought these in Hong Kong at USD187 mind you.

Any ideas how to get compensation for my TIME spent on my nudies, and even MONEY to buy a new one?

frown.gif

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Threaten to sue?

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
You have to not give the slightest impression of weakness here. As hoteliers, and Oriental hoteliers no less, they will not hesitate to take advantage of you if you show signs of giving in. Make more a point of the shrinkage than of the fading - it's a more 'legitimate-seeming' complaint. Don't be afraid to bully them a little. Ask for MORE than the jeans are worth, so you can bargain them down. In the end, it's probably easier for them to pay you to go away than fight you on it.

justlooking

Reaction score
you're in china. i don't think they really care about your complaints.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
All of what Augusto said is pretty much what you need to do. That's pretty fucked up, for the record.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
you may not get the full amount or close to it in monetary compensation. but you can try to force them to giving you comp your room fee, room service, food, everything, even try to get them to give you a free rental car or whatever. if they have a gift shop see if you can try to get something for free that is near that cost.

and again, like the above advice, dont show them any giving in, just consistently complain, no need to have discretion or courtesy like you would d o in the states , be forceful, not threatening, but have them pay you to leave literally.
i would know, i am asian.

babygreenspots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by diorshoe
you may not get the full amount or close to it in monetary compensation. but you can try to force them to giving you comp your room fee, room service, food, everything, even try to get them to give you a free rental car or whatever. if they have a gift shop see if you can try to get something for free that is near that cost.

and again, like the above advice, dont show them any giving in, just consistently complain, no need to have discretion or courtesy like you would d o in the states , be forceful, not threatening, but have them pay you to leave literally.
i would know, i am asian.

This is on target - particularly "pay you to leave". I'm surprised they even offered you any compensation. Don't get angry - prosose solutions they can digest. As is said, you're best bet is to get something worth the cost of the jeans. They might have special deals with restaurants. Frankly, compared to the various errors in service that I have encountered in China, this wouldn't seem all that egregious in the eyes of the staff. Of course, the consequences are quite awful for the jeans. Luxury goods are catching on fast here, but the thought of jeans that cost more than the monthly salary of 70 percent of the hotel staff might seem strange to them. I can't imagine jeans of this cost making much sense outside of Guangzhou/Beijing/Shanghai. What city are you in?

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel for you man. But you're SOL in this situation. Just try to get comps in local food and stuff. Chalk it up to carelessness.

You might be able to sell it back here and recoup some money.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I mean, that sucks, but I don't find it as utterly reproachable as some of the posters aparently do. The notion that having your jeans washed would be some sort of a porblem is not exactly widespread outside of circles like this.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Well, imagine if you had a nice Sea Island dress shirt that cost you $300, or a cashmere sweater and someone grabbed it (not from the laundry bin) and put it in hot wash and hot dry without asking you. It is now ruined and doesn't fit and probably won't iron out properly ever again.

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by justlooking
you're in china. i don't think they really care about your complaints.
musicboohoo[1].gif

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually it is quite easy to bully service people in China (and much of Asia) to get what you want. The perceived callousness is just the way they are; you have to combat it by asserting your social and (more importantly) financial importance and superiority.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads