• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hotel tipping

LongWing

Reaction score
I am never quite confident that I am tipping properly when I stay at a nice hotel.

First: I tend to tip when a valet has gone to fetch my car, but not when he is parking it. Is this standard?

Secondly: I am not sure how to handle it when checking out of a hotel and use both the bellman and the valet. I tend to assume that I tip one person (usually the valet) and they split it between them. Is it more appropriate to tip them separately.

Thanks, Charles

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In addition to tipping the staff mentioned above, I leave roughly $5/day for the housekeepers.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's a vexing problem, especially when you have room service waiters, concierges, etc. One time I stayed with family at the Athenaeum on Piccadilly--- at that time, a nice place, BTW. Anyway, I was scrupulous about leaving money everywhere, for everything.

Upon checkout, I discovered that there was a "service" line that I could have filled in. The cashier looked a little surprised when I xx-d that out, having fulfilled apparent obligations. Sigh...

Anyway, I think that is a better system-- if advertised up front.

aybojs

Reaction score
I like my rule of thumb as far as tipping goes, which I expounded on in another thread. Tipping should be done only when you choose to recieve a service that you reasonably could have done yourself otherwise. For example, having a porter carry your bags instead of lifting them up yourself or having a valet park your car when you there is an available self-park lot nearby would warrant tip. The same applies with servers; you could have just picked up the food to go and ate at home, so you'd tip.

However, if the situation is set up to goad you into tipping with no other option, such as when you're in a bathroom with a bathroom attendent and no direct access to any paper towels and thus have to have the attendent dry your hands, I would not leave a tip. Coerced tipping is a really annoying trend at high dollar establishments.

PHV

Reaction score
I like my rule of thumb as far as tipping goes, which I expounded on in another thread.  Tipping should be done only when you choose to recieve a service that you reasonably could have done yourself otherwise.  For example, having a porter carry your bags instead of lifting them up yourself or having a valet park your car when you there is an available self-park lot nearby would warrant tip.  The same applies with servers; you could have just picked up the food to go and ate at home, so you'd tip.

However, if the situation is set up to goad you into tipping with no other option, such as when you're in a bathroom with a bathroom attendent and no direct access to any paper towels and thus have to have the attendent dry your hands, I would not leave a tip.  Coerced tipping is a really annoying trend at high dollar establishments.
Coat check is unbelieveable. I can't believe they expect you to tip.

Kevin_lee

Reaction score
I give 5 to 10 bucks per day, depends on the Hotel and the overall service. Sometimes a bit more, if the maid is my taste
tounge.gif

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am never quite confident that I am tipping properly when I stay at a nice hotel.

First:  I tend to tip when a valet has gone to fetch my car, but not when he is parking it.  Is this standard?

Secondly:  I am not sure how to handle it when checking out of a hotel and use both the bellman and the valet.  I tend to assume that I tip one person (usually the valet) and they split it between them.  Is it more appropriate to tip them separately.

Thanks,  Charles
Only farmers tip.

This is very rude to treat people as if they were your employee begging for a coin.

NEVER tip anywhere unless you wear brown shoes and you want to apologize for you look .

All people have a salary. Why would you leave them extra free tax income when they just do something they are paid for ? ?

scnupe7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(LongWing @ April 21 2005,19:36) I am never quite confident that I am tipping properly when I stay at a nice hotel. First: Â I tend to tip when a valet has gone to fetch my car, but not when he is parking it. Â Is this standard? Secondly: Â I am not sure how to handle it when checking out of a hotel and use both the bellman and the valet. Â I tend to assume that I tip one person (usually the valet) and they split it between them. Â Is it more appropriate to tip them separately. Thanks, Â Charles
Only farmers tip. This is very rude to treat people as if they were your employee begging for a coin. NEVER tip anywhere unless you wear brown shoes and you want to apologize for you look . All people have a salary. Why would you leave them extra free tax income when they just do something they are paid for ? ?
Classic...

alchimiste

Reaction score
All people have a salary. Why would you leave them extra free tax income when they just do something they are paid for ? ?
Part of the problem is that you don't know whether their salary is decent on its own or whether tipping is expected to make it decent. In the US waiters in restaurants are paid by tips, in France service in included in the bill so you tip only if service was extraordinary (the ordinary is already cared for). So in order to know whether tipping is required you need to know how people are paid. Which is not always something you know.

Mathieu

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If they accept to work ONLY for tips (which may be forbiden as there is a minimum hourly salary, even in the US) this is the risk of their job.

They know they may not receive any tip (as tip is NEVER compulsory).

If they don't have enought tip, they must negociate with their boss or simply find a better paid job.

Waiters in Mc Donalds, don't have any tip. Why would i tips in much more exepensive restaurant when I already pay 10 times the value of the drink and 6 time the value of the food and 10 times the value of the desert ?

I prefer $1 beeing in my pocket than in the pocket of a waiter.

Don't forget if you don't have enough money to pay your next bill, the boss will call the Police even if you tiped in the restaurant x times .

The only reason to tip = if the waiter did something unusual for your pleasure.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(ernest @ May 13 2005,11:55) Waiters in Mc Donalds, don't have any tip.
They are not waiters.
They do the same job.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alchimiste,May 13 2005,05:59
Originally Posted by ernest,May 13 2005,11:55
Waiters in Mc Donalds, don't have any tip.
They are not waiters.

They do the same job.
No they don't. Â They are more like clerks in a shop. Waiters are there through your meal. K

mkk

Reaction score
Coerced tipping is a really annoying trend at high dollar establishments.
In agreement. Now every place has an "official" or makeshift tip jar. Worst of all is Cold Stone Creamery. Here they have "official" tip jars, and upon receiving a tip one employee will yell to the others, "Hey everybody, we got a tip," and the employees then together sing a horrid version of one of a number of songs they choose from, e.g. "Tip a dee doo da, tip-a-dee day, my oh my what a wonderful day."
mad.gif
crazy.gif
:

alchimiste

Reaction score
Now every place has an "official" or makeshift tip jar. Worst of all is Cold Stone Creamery. Here they have "official" tip jars, and upon receiving a tip one employee will yell to the others, "Hey everybody, we got a tip," and the employees then together sing a horrid version of one of a number of songs they choose from, e.g. "Tip a dee doo da, tip-a-dee day, my oh my what a wonderful day."
mad.gif
crazy.gif
:
Nice incitation not to tip.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads