Hotel tipping

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by LongWing, Apr 21, 2005.

1. itzamazing

itzamazing Senior member

The tip jars at Starbucks really annoy me.
    I often see them filled as well. The workers there are paid a decent wage (for food service), why do I need to leave a tip because you prepared a frap? Isn't the $4.75 enough of a *donation* on my part. It's not as if they are waiters and depend on tips to make a livable wage as a barista. Maybe if you order something crazy like a double tall no whip mocha latte. It just bothers me that Starbucks even has the tip jar there.

2. ernest

ernest Senior member

(ernest @ May 12 2005,21:09)
    Waiters in Mc Donalds, don't have any tip.
    They are not waiters.

They do the same job.
    No they don't. Â They are more like clerks in a shop. Â Waiters are there through your meal. K
    Waiter are clerks in a shop selling food. Guys in fast food bring you your food from the kitchen like waiters. They only walk less (what is worse for legs) and make a more boring job than waiters. So if waiters are tiped, why wouldn't the employee of Mac Donald's be too ?

3. scnupe7

scnupe7 Senior member

(VKK3450 @ May 13 2005,10:20)
    They are not waiters.

They do the same job.

No they don't. Â They are more like clerks in a shop. Â Waiters are there through your meal. K
    Waiter are clerks in a shop selling food. Guys in fast food bring you your food from the kitchen like waiters. They only walk less (what is worse for legs) and make a more boring job than waiters. So if waiters are tiped, why wouldn't the employee of Mac Donald's be too ?
    Probably because waiters make like $2.15 an hour, where McDonalds employees make at least minimum wage, which is like $5.15 (or a little higher) an hour.

4. Andrew V.

Andrew V. Senior member

Thanks for the warning, mmathew. A Cold Stone Creamery just opened up near my workplace. I have been in no hurry to visit it, since I'm not a big fan of pretentious ice cream.

I shall definitely stay away from there if they sing songs about tips.

5. scnupe7

scnupe7 Senior member

One is opening downstairs from my office too. If I do decide to go in, I'll be sure not to tip.

6. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

(VKK3450 @ May 13 2005,10:20)
    They are not waiters.

They do the same job.

No they don't. They are more like clerks in a shop. Waiters are there through your meal. K
    Wow, that's ignorant. Just because they're selling food means that the job is the same? What about a fry cook and a pastry chef? Are these jobs also the same? The counter person at McDonald's takes one customer at a time. Servers take multiple tables of multiple people at the same time. Serving a meal is a much longer and more intensive transaction from greeting the table, to order-taking, coursings, and everything else between that and the time said party leaves the restaurant. The average length of a transaction at a fast food restaurant is the couple of minutes it takes from ordering food to the receipt of said food. Serving is a skilled service occupation, meaning it requires experience (varying degree depending on the establishment) while working in the fast food industry is regarded as a lowest-of-the-low entry-level job that, unless you're a manager, you really can't make a living wage. These days in the States, some cafes and sandwich shops have tip jars on the counter which presents a much more informal and voluntary opportunity to leave a tip. I will generally leave the change from my order, or a dollar and the change at the places at which I am a regular. European culture is drastically different than US culture, and as a result the expectations and demands of a restaurant are also drastically different. Regardless on what side of the pond you find yourself on, however, waiters and fast-food employees can not and should not be equated.

7. hopkins_student

hopkins_student Senior member

You should certainly go try the cakebatter ice cream with brownie mixed in. I'm pretty sure they put heroin in the ice cream.

8. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

Coldstone isn't what I'd call pretentious, although they're really good.

9. ernest

ernest Senior member

Also because they just do a job in which they don't have to think very much...

Both are lowest of the low jobs.

The chef is a cook, he stupied cooking for many years and he creates something, an important added value you couldn't make yourself.

The fry cook (i guess you are talking about guys dealing with frozen food they just warm up) is not a cook.
    Moreover, both of them have only a salary and neither the chief nor the cook have not any tip.

Your argument is not relevant for 2 reasons =

1) The counter may take orders of 2 peoples in the same time (same bill)  and may have to deal with a lag between the moment he forwarded the order to the "kitchen" (when something is missing = very often) and the moment he serves the client. In the meantime, he takes the order of second client.

2) Dealing with 1 or 5 tables or no table  at all doesn"t change the job itself  =
    noting an order,
    carrying the ordered food from the kitchen to the client,
    giving a bill,
    taking the money,
    giving the change.

That's why we shoudn't tip them...??? To keep them poor?

And? how long is the transaction when you order a drink in a bar? Not longer than in a fast food. So you don't tip?

If the average transaction is not long, it doesn't mean the guy work less. He just must be faster and serve 5 times more clients in the same time.

Most of waiters are not more educated than people working in fast foods. Of course if you talk about waiters in *** restaurants with menu of $300, they are not the same as people in fast foods because they must be well dressed, speak well, be aware of the food they serve, advice the client about food, behave in a special way... And in these restaurants, waiters are well paid. They don't need tips to make a living.

Waiters in most of normal restaurants ($30 euros menu) are rather poorly dressed (no uniform), speaks bad (in the US = they introduces themself as if your were friend), have no idea about the food they sell, walk like a cowboy, never bring you more tap water or bread unless you ask...

10. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Ernest is stingy, and doesn't want to pay more than the absolute minimum, even when good manners dictate that he *should*.

All the arguments he has made in this thread are nothing more than self-justifications, all the other points tangential, and his viewpoints do not merit any more of anyone else's opinion, imo.

11. philosophe

philosophe Senior member

Nicely put.

12. ernest

ernest Senior member

What good manners? The ones which make you behave like a robot or a slave of the maintream, of the politicaly correct, following  stupid rules even when you don't like them  and when they are against your own interest .?

The ones which say you must pay for the meal of the girl, tip the waiter?

What are you without your money?  Girls will not eat with you and waiters will spit in your plate if you don't tip ?

Are all your good manners connected with money?

May be you like to be dictated to avoid thinking by yourself?

The fact is tiping people as if they wera begglar or you servant is not respecting them.

May be you do this to show people that you have money and so that you may worth more than you seemed  to worth during the conversation ? To impress them with your money as you can not impress anybody with your personality ?

As you are not stingy, you could send me $10 for all the time I spend talking to you ? Some sort of tip. ok?

13. jmswentworth

jmswentworth Senior member

A nomad in a suit: London, Frankfurt, Milan, Paris
    I think you are forgetting that in Europe, a tip still holds true to its name. If you experienced good service, only then would even the waiter expect a tip, not like America. Ernest is not the revolutionary that he is making himself out to be. On the other hand, not paying for a girl on a date is revolutionary; that is to say if he manages to get away with it, and speaks to the girl again after.

14. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

This coming from someone who

1)  Criticizes a girl for making a sandwich.
    2)  Comes out roaring against Rolex, and then decides he needs to buy one for status reasons (see related posts to this effect).
    3)  Thinks that all jeans except for Levi's 501 are for stupid fashionistas (notice that he knows nothing about denim, nor even knew that Levis Europe and Levi's USA are different companies,) who's very first posts to this forum were about how wearing patterns with stripes were against the *rules*.  This seems like mindless adherence to rules to me.  (Note that this is not a knock against Manton, who, unlike Ernest, seems to actually enjoy reading books and does not come out swinging about things he knows nothing about.)
    4)  Asks strangers over the net for money and services for no services rendered, and is content to let the French people support his lifestyle - that to me is a beggar.
    5)  Has impressed everybody on the forum by his personality, wealth of knowledge, and general acumen.

BTW, ernest, you post because you *want* to.  Yesterday, I had to take my time to moderate/delete/edit your posts because they broke the rules of the forum because I *had* to.  For services rendered, and considering my expertise and opportunity time lost, consider this an invoice to the amount of 100 Euros, to be remitted immediately to j via PayPal.  I'll get the money from him.  Thanks.

15. ernest

ernest Senior member

Did I make something?

I don't date homeless girls so they can pay for their own needs.

So you need to pay to have a girl?

When i was talking to my girl on the net, i didn't know what she looked like. She suggested to meet each other and to have a drink in a Palace.

I told her it was too expensive and that she should invite me because I didn't want to pay $6 euros for a coke.

We have been together for 3.5 years. Is it enough to say I got away with it ?

I have almost never invited her anywhere, I don't make her expensive gifts.

I must admit that when i lend her money to buy some clothes, I don't charge her any interest rate. Do you think she stays with me because of this?

An frankly, she looks better and is much more intelligent and sweeter than 80% of the girls that most of men dated in their all life.

How do you explain this?