• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hotel recommendations (Paris, Nice)

denning

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am going to be travelling through France and Italy for two weeks in August from the 8th to the 22. I am looking for hotel recommendations from anyone who has had good experiences.

The following is my itinerary for overnight stays. I know it is full and we won't have time to really absorb any city, there won't be a lot of rest time, but this is a whirlwind tour and it is what it is.

August 8-9: London
August 10-11: Paris
August 12: La Rochelle
August 13: Bordeaux
August 14: Night train to Nice
August 15-17: Nice (and surrounding villages)
August 18: Florence
August 19-21: Rome

I already have the recommendation for Rome stolen from another recent thread, that of Hotel Trastevere. Pricewise, location, quality, it looks to be riht up our alley.

There are three of us, and as to price I'm hoping to stay below $100 a night per person (three people in a double room).

Hit me up with your recommendations.

MsMcGillicuddy

Reaction score
Hotel du 7e Arte is a great hotel in the Marais - right near the Seine, walking distance to Ile St Louis and Notre Dame. It's also not too expensive; just BE SURE to ask for a room in the back - we were on the street side, and even though the street was small, it was loud at night. Not sure what your style is though. Check it out. http://www.paris-hotel-7art.com/

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i have no advice other than the marais is a cool neighborhood, as is the area around the palais garnier (opera house).

hanker565

Reaction score
Just visited the south of France - don't have a recommendation for Nice but I stayed at the Hotel Eden in Cannes and it fits your price range.

If you're only there for three days, try to spend more time in Nice - most to do and see IMO. Cannes is a lot of fun at night, and Monte Carlo makes for a great day trip.

earthdragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just spent the weekend in Paris, here: http://www.hotel-bel-ami.com/en/index.php
I found a good deal through 'Design Hotels'.
Very well located in St Germain, walking distance to the Metro.
Small well appointed rooms and friendly staff.
Great window shopping, though I did not buy a thing.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hotel Millesime in the 6th is a nice boutique hotel. We stayed there for our honeymoon.

B2C2V

Reaction score
I have stayed at the Intercontinental Le Grand and St James & Albany in Paris. Both were nice and in good location. Unsure about the rate at IC as I redeemed points for it. I think currently IC hotel chain has a stay 2 and get 1 night free promotion. S&A was like 150-160 euro a night IIRC.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try Splendia http://www.splendia.com/ I got a hotel room through them in Rome. The hotel was amazing, I got it at a good price and it was 3 blocks from the Spanish Steps (AKA shopping district). btw, I did a similar tour London, Paris, Milan, Florence, Rome and Venice. It was awsome!

speedster.8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I cant say, but had friends stay @ Hotel suisse. Good view allong the promenade & sea. http://www.activehotels.com/hotel/br...2526page%253D2 But there could be interesting posiblities in Cimiez or Bellet if there is wine interest ... Not exactly beach front though, but If you want beachfront there aare 20+ decent hotels. Hit up one of the online traders for a runndown of options.

Fulcannelli

Reaction score
stay in the Pont Royal, great restaurant next door (try the mashed potato), there's a Lobb shoe shop just up the road as well.

its close to everything and not bad prices, i'll stay again when I go back

CaesarSTL

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnGalt
<$300/nt in Nice in August........

With so much of the country off for the month, and most of them heading south... I was thinking the same thing, it's going to be tough....

But then again, I'll be in France from July 25th till August 25th, so I'll know more soon
fing02[1].gif

speedster.8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are actually quite a lot of French tourists down at the moment, not many tourists in total. But vastli more French than normal.

denning

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CaesarSTL
With so much of the country off for the month, and most of them heading south... I was thinking the same thing, it's going to be tough....

But then again, I'll be in France from July 25th till August 25th, so I'll know more soon
fing02[1].gif

In Nice I got a nice, newly renovated hotel a couple blocks from the beach for 132 Euro/night for a triple room. I'm satisfied.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads