• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hotel choices (list)

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ok, I spent a couple more hours (I need a break) and found that there are a quite a few hotels that currently have specials that will fit into my target price per night during my short stay. Which of these of do recommend?

The Benjamin: 125 East 50th Street, New York, NY 10017
The Melrose Hotel New York: 140 East 63rd Street, New York, NY 10021
Warwick Hotel New York: 65 West 54TH Street, New York, NY 10019
InterContinental Hotels THE BARCLAY NEW YORK: 111 EAST 48TH ST, New York City, NY 10017-1297
Sofitel New York: 45 West 44TH Street, NEW YORK, NY 10036
Westin Essex House on Central Park: 160 Central Park South, New York, NY 10019
Le Parker Meridien: 118 West 57th St.
Swissotel New York, The Drake: 440 Park Ave
The Regency Hotel: 540 Park Ave

Thanks.

Jon.

(For both moderators, I know this is not directly regarding clothing, but if I post this in the general forum, it will take forever to get a response)

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would avoid the Intercontintental at 48th. Just not a lot of value there. I've heard good things about the Melrose.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Like I wrote in the other thread, I've stayed at the Benjamin and the Intercontinental Barclay. The accomodations at both weren't bad, and the locations of both were good. I would stay at both again if the price were right.

Recently, the rates at the Intercontinental have been very high, and johnnynorman3 is right that there's not a whole lot of value when they're that high. However, if there are deals to be had, there's nothing wrong with it.

jerrysfriend

Reaction score
The Benjamin: no experience, (formerly the Beverly) all suites and supposedly very nice
The Melrose Hotel New York: no personal experience, but formerly residence hotel (the Barbizon) for young ladies with rule of no men upstairs; Grace Kelly lived here at the start of her career; supposedly smallest hotel rooms in NYC; avoid
Warwick Hotel New York: the Beetles stayed here on first trip to USA but a real dump; avoid at all costs
InterContinental Hotels THE BARCLAY NEW YORK: one stay, nice old fashioned huge lobby, but some rooms cramped and noisy; needs renovation
Sofitel New York: no experience; understand very nice
Westin Essex House on Central Park: two stays, lovely and grand, the most expensive of the group listed; but I understand it has a few cramped interior (no view) mother-in-law rooms
Le Parker Meridien: no experience, but modern and grand, with a great hidden burger place; supposedly slightly smallish rooms
Swissotel New York, The Drake: 3-4 stays; very nice place
The Regency Hotel: 3-4 stays; very refined; standard rooms are adequate size; deluxe are large

kidkim2

Reaction score
Essex House is several ranks ahead of the others on your list. Do whatever is necessary (not excluding bribery) to get a Park view.

Ihrichesq

Reaction score
Stay at the Essex House. I've stayed there many times. Very nice. I'd expect it to be significantly more expensive than the Park Lane or St. Moritz. Just remember, and this goes for all NYC hotels, the more of a "bargain" rate you get the greater the chance of being put in a smaller room. But your best choice is Central Park South for what you're going for. Hell, check the Plaza and Sherry-Netherlands for specials, too. Never can tell.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Stay at the Essex House. I've stayed there many times. Very nice. I'd expect it to be significantly more expensive than the Park Lane or St. Moritz. Just remember, and this goes for all NYC hotels, the more of a "bargain" rate you get the greater the chance of being put in a smaller room. But your best choice is Central Park South for what you're going for. Hell, check the Plaza and Sherry-Netherlands for specials, too. Never can tell.
Here is what I'm looking at online:

The Westin Essex House currently has two low rates available:

Standard Room; Avg Daily Price: $219.34
Park View; Avg Daily Price: $239.67

The Regency:

Standard Room; Avg Daily Price: $215.70

The Benjamin:

Superior room - 1 queen bed; $199
Deluxe room - 1 king bed; $219
One Bedroom Suite - 1 queen bed and 1 sleep sofa; $239

Swissotel New York, The Drake:

Superior 1-2 People; Avg Daily Rate: $202.33

I can't decide...(man, I'm usually quick in making choices)

Jon.

kidkim2

Reaction score
Don't delay. Grab that Park view room at Essex House.

bryce330

Reaction score
The Westin Essex House currently has two low rates available:  

Standard Room; Avg Daily Price: $219.34
Park View; Avg Daily Price: $239.67

The Regency:

Standard Room; Avg Daily Price: $215.70

The Benjamin:

Superior room - 1 queen bed; $199
Deluxe room - 1 king bed; $219
One Bedroom Suite - 1 queen bed and 1 sleep sofa; $239

Swissotel New York, The Drake:

Superior 1-2 People; Avg Daily Rate: $202.33
Jon -

May I ask where you are finding these rates? I'm trying to book a few nights in NYC in late September and not finding much of anything decent below $300.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(imageWIS @ 24 Aug. 2004, 12:33) The Westin Essex House currently has two low rates available: Standard Room; Avg Daily Price: $219.34 Park View; Avg Daily Price: $239.67 The Regency: Standard Room; Avg Daily Price: $215.70 The Benjamin: Superior room - 1 queen bed; $199 Deluxe room - 1 king bed; $219 One Bedroom Suite - 1 queen bed and 1 sleep sofa; $239 Swissotel New York, The Drake: Superior 1-2 People; Avg Daily Rate: $202.33
Jon - May I ask where you are finding these rates? I'm trying to book a few nights in NYC in late September and not finding much of anything decent below $300.
I have been looking in orbitz, expedia, hotels.com, and just random travel online companies that I find. Which hotels were you looking at? Le Parker Meridien is offering rooms for $199 per night from their website. Swissotel: The Drake is also offering rooms for around $200, even though the website says its only for AmEx card members, they will actually accept any card they accept at those same rates. You could check AAA (if you are a member) and see if there are any discounts. To be honest, I wish I could get my parents to pay, because then there would be no need to shop around or decide, since there is only two choices: Ritz-Carlton at Central Park or the Mandarin Oriental on Columbus circle (OMG, what a hotel&#33
wink.gif
. Jon.

Ihrichesq

Reaction score
The Essex House rate is OK. Looks like there's not a big crunch for rooms when you want to go. Not to create more of a quandry for you, but you might check biddingfortravel.com and then priceline.com for strategies on how to get rock bottom rates at top hotels, including NYC Central Park South. And oh, yes. If you want the best corned beef sandwich in the world (or so they say, and I think it's pretty close) go to the Carnegie Deli. It's across the street from Carnegie Hall on 7th Avenue. You know how to get to Carnegie Hall, don't you? Just ask any new yorker. (old joke).

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Essex House rate is OK. Looks like there's not a big crunch for rooms when you want to go. Not to create more of a quandry for you, but you might check biddingfortravel.com and then priceline.com for strategies on how to get rock bottom rates at top hotels, including NYC Central Park South. And oh, yes. If you want the best corned beef sandwich in the world (or so they say, and I think it's pretty close) go to the Carnegie Deli. It's across the street from Carnegie Hall on 7th Avenue. You know how to get to Carnegie Hall, don't you? Just ask any new yorker. (old joke).
To add to my own confusion, what do you mean by "˜OK'?

Which is better The Regency or the Essex House?

Jon. (who should just a hotel and finish this fiasco)

rsp1

Reaction score
Go for the Essex House. (park view). For what it's worth - another consideration should be that it's a Westin, so you can get Starwood points...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads