• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hot yoga

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was in Minneapolis for a few days so I did Bikram yoga at a CorePower studio. I liked it much better than the bonafide Bikram because of the subtle differences that made it a lot better than the original 26 poses. Really liked it, and given the April snowstorm, it gave me something interesting to do.

Next time you are in Minneapolis check out Moksha Yoga. Its a Bikram derivative, but the studio is much nicer than any CorePower and its a better sequence IMO.

Last edited:

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks for letting me know. CorePower was conveniently located, but I'll keep your suggestion in mind if I'm in those parts again anytime soon.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I went to a Bikram studio in Taipei, Taiwan today. It was a lot of fun, but the best part was eating delicious dumplings at a place nearby afterwards.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm 68 yrs old retired construction worker . I 've been doing bikram 3-4 sometimes 5 days a week for 8 years . I believe it to be one of the single most effective ways to get and stay in shape there is . You get used to the heat . It never gets any easier . It will cure most forms of back trouble . I am fortunate to attend a studio that does not tolerate any form of abuse . I dont know Bikram personally so I try to refrain from judgement but he has put together a set of postures that are very effective. Personally no one yells at me ,not since boot camp . I dont know if I just give off the vibe or what but people seem to know it wont be tolerated . Bullies are not to be suffered spiritual or otherwise
Simply put bikram works . It requires time and commitment . Do people do it regularly because it works or does it work because they do it regularly .
Imo you should practice at least 3 days a week.
Avoid burnout . Dont become competitive . Dont push for any reason other than it feels right . Avoid shortcuts make every motion as correct and precise as you are able
Some days suck it dosent matter you benefit nonetheless .Dont become a disciple thats a ego sideshow got nothing to do with yoga .

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yesterday and Thursday I went to a Bikram studio in Milan. Without a doubt the nicest Bikram studio I've ever experienced. Although both sessions were in Italian, it was easy for me to follow along given that the 26 poses are the same everywhere. Both sessions were packed with lots of pretty people. I enjoyed the sessions, but yesterday I worked out in the hotel gym prior to yoga, and thought I was going to die before the end of the session. Nonetheless I loved it, and it made me love Milan even more.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yesterday and Thursday I went to a Bikram studio in Milan. Without a doubt the nicest Bikram studio I've ever experienced. Although both sessions were in Italian, it was easy for me to follow along given that the 26 poses are the same everywhere. Both sessions were packed with lots of pretty people. I enjoyed the sessions, but yesterday I worked out in the hotel gym prior to yoga, and thought I was going to die before the end of the session. Nonetheless I loved it, and it made me love Milan even more.

I find the dialogue becomes a meaningless drone after a while . Instructors who expect me to hang on their every word are outta luck . I recently heard an instructor comment to an elderly woman that so and so was what life was all about. Really a 20 something girl who still lives with mommy and daddy telling a 75 yr old. woman what life is all about . If the instructors would just stick to directing the postures It would help .So what I'm saying is I think meybe I would prefer it in Italian or Russian orGreek

Last edited:

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I find the dialogue becomes a meaningless drone after a while . Instructors who expect me to hang on their every word are outta luck . I recently heard an instructor comment to an elderly woman that so and so was what life was all about. Really a 20 something girl who still lives with mommy and daddy telling a 75 yr old. woman what life is all about . If the instructors would just stick to directing the postures It would help .So what I'm saying is I think meybe I would prefer it in Italian or Russian orGreek
I agree with you. I knew the poses well enough to focus on what I was doing and tune the blabbering instructor out, which was nice. I had a similar glorious experience in a class taught in Mandarin Chinese a month ago.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've done some Baptiste classes recently that have been amongst the most brutal workouts I've ever encountered. Absolutely loved it. Anyone else try Baptiste before?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Went to a Bikram studio in NYC this morning. Good instructor but it was way too hot - and the instructor even had the window open for the whole session. It was 90 degrees outside when I left the studio, too hot for hot yoga.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
can anyone recommend a long yoga mat? preferably for hot yoga? checked out all the local sports equipment stores but couldnt find one i liked

J o s h

Reaction score
can anyone recommend a long yoga mat? preferably for hot yoga? checked out all the local sports equipment stores but couldnt find one i liked

@NAMOR manduka.com. Long mat, plus the "yogitoes" towel to keep from slipping when you sweat from a heated session.

StylishMica

Reaction score

I have had two Gaiam mats that were decent, but not really the greatest. They were also fairly thin.

I recently purchased an Aurorae mat and I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT. For $40 dollars on Amazon I think the value is terrific. There is no smell, has 5mm cushion which is really nice, and there is no slippage. It's lightweight if you have to carry it to class too.

I'm very happy with it and would recommend it to anyone looking for a quality mat at moderate price. Definitely something you should take a look at.

SlickEsq

Reaction score
I've tried bikram yoga on free week trial here in the LA area. I did it more as an experience with my wife as, generally, I'm willing to try anything new when it comes to health/fitness especially if I think that it can help improve my performances at the gym. These classes can be quite challenging to say the very least. One class that stands out was one where we worked with dumbbells titled "Power Yoga". Quite intense and yes, you do sweat your ass off during these sessions.

Generally I always advise people to open up and not be afraid of trying out new things, new movements, new routines. Who knows, you might like it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads