• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hot yoga

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I just did my 2nd Bikram class... kicking my butt. I am getting into it however.
I've been doing Vinyasa and hot Vinyasa for several months, but did a week of Bikram while in NYC for Christmas and NYE. I much prefer hot Vinyasa because I didn't feel I was gaining much by doing the same 26 Bikram poses each time, and because the instructors did not provide hands-on help with proper alignment. By the way, the Bikram studio offered lots of sessions each day, and each one I attended on the Upper East Side was packed to capacity. With that said, I was completely drained after each Bikram session, and would make it part of my yoga practice in addition to Vinyasa if there was a local Bikram studio, but I wouldn't do Bikram daily or solely. I also found a great place in NYC (Midtown) for Vinyasa, and did that too while I was there.

I absolutely love yoga, and now practice at least 5 days a week. I find it complements my workouts very well and I often will time my workout so that I can go immediately to yoga afterwards. I'm fortunate to have a great studio in my neighborhood with terrific instructors who offer lots of variety. I've found to the key to a good yoga practice is the instructor.

Last edited:

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been doing Moksha hot yoga (a Vinyasa style yoga) for about a year and a half now and I absolutely love it. I go about seven to eight times a week. I used to run for my cardio, but I find this to be much more interesting and engaging to me.

I tend to seek out flow style classes which are much faster and more difficult. Moksha heats the rooms to about 103 - 105 degrees using radiant heat. The floors are cork and not carpet as I've seen in a few Bikram studios. In all, I've found the whole yoga thing to be really beneficial and interesting and I hope to continue it for a good long while.

Last edited:

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I find that I've replaced running with yoga also. I still run about twice a week, but it used to be 5-6 times a week. I love yoga so much more.

hammerhead

Reaction score
I do yoga 4+ times a week. I avoid Bikram---too routine and way too much "over joint/locked" stuff. Seems a little dangerous to me actually. I may do yoga if I'm in a town with no other options. Vinyasa/power/forrest/hatha are the way to go. If you want it hot, take a hot shower for 10 minutes prior then wear sweatpants.....

hammerhead

Reaction score
I do yoga 4+ times a week. I avoid Bikram---too routine and way too much "over joint/locked" stuff. Seems a little dangerous to me actually. I may do yoga if I'm in a town with no other options. Vinyasa/power/forrest/hatha are the way to go. If you want it hot, take a hot shower for 10 minutes prior then wear sweatpants.....

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Locking the knees and other joints concerned me a lot when I did Bikram; I've always been taught to not lock joints.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Locking the knees and other joints concerned me a lot when I did Bikram; I've always been taught to not lock joints.

Moksha, the kind I do, never locks out knees. A slight knee bend is always emphasized.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

do you guys have a set list of poses that you do every time? i'm getting back into my yoga stretching but i've kind of forgotten all the dance steps.

Some people in the studio were recommending this app for at home yoga: http://macslife.net/yoga-studio-for-iphone-app-review/

If I do yoga at home I usually end up just doing a bunch of vinyasas and long holds to try and get the best workout I can. That doesn't seem to be your goal here.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

do you guys have a set list of poses that you do every time? i'm getting back into my yoga stretching but i've kind of forgotten all the dance steps.
I only practice at the studio and the poses are different in each session, even with the same instructor. Ashtanga has a specific list of poses that are repeated each time, but I've not done that practice and I don't know what the poses are.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Some people in the studio were recommending this app for at home yoga: http://macslife.net/yoga-studio-for-iphone-app-review/

If I do yoga at home I usually end up just doing a bunch of vinyasas and long holds to try and get the best workout I can. That doesn't seem to be your goal here.

well, functionally it is. i'm just stuck on about 10 poses that i really remember and have been supplementing them with basic static stretches.

will check out the app. thanks.

Last edited:

bkk

Reaction score

The heat didn't seem a little dangerous? That was a rhetorical question.

Revend

Reaction score
Yoga is a best exercise to keep body healthy. Its a best way to get fitness. Being a yoga instructor i suggest everybody to get this training and join a yoga class today.
Personal trainer st johns wood

Last edited:

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A Bikram studio is coming to Indy. I can see myself going once a week or so in addition to the studio I currently visit.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was in Minneapolis for a few days so I did Bikram yoga at a CorePower studio. I liked it much better than the bonafide Bikram because of the subtle differences that made it a lot better than the original 26 poses. Really liked it, and given the April snowstorm, it gave me something interesting to do.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads