• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hot Girl? Check. Slim-cut suit? umm....

theom-

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So my school's winter formal is coming up and I need to look sharp compared to the average high school guy with the ill-fitting dad's suit. I'm looking to buy a slim gray suit and my price range is about $200 - $400 . My list of places to check right now are :

-H&M
-J. Crew

I'm only 16 and my mom says spending more than $400 on a suit would be kind of ridiculous because I'll grow out of it too fast. I'm about 5' 9" and 140 lbs and I wear a size 36 jacket. I'm not sure about the length though. Any help with this would be great.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you know your measurements (if you're posting here you should, if not go out & purchase a measuring tape ASAP) check eBay. There are also the "bespoke" MTM options on ebay for ~$289.

Icarium

Reaction score
I'm just parroting what others have said, but I hear the Alfani Red Label at Macy's is a decent OTR suit... maybe try a 36R. Besides that, you could attempt to score a nicer/higher quality suit off the forums here, but the fact that you need it for this winter formal means that patience may not be an option.

Edit: They may not actually come in 36R... probably have to ask macy's. I'm not seeing it online.

theom-

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Icarium
I'm just parroting what others have said, but I hear the Alfani Red Label at Macy's is a decent OTR suit... maybe try a 36R. Besides that, you could attempt to score a nicer/higher quality suit off the forums here, but the fact that you need it for this winter formal means that patience may not be an option.

Yeah my winter formal is in a month so bespoke is not really an option at this point. I'm really looking at H&M but i've heard they are often sold oput in smaller sizes? Should i try similar brands like zara?

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What size pants do you wear? (think suit)

joel_954

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Banana Republic would be another place to check. See if your store has this suit in stock or if they can order it from another store. You can also see what else they have on clearance to suit your price range.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
H&M is fine. I would start there.

theom-

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by joel_954
Banana Republic would be another place to check. See if your store has this suit in stock or if they can order it from another store. You can also see what else they have on clearance to suit your price range.

i hate the cut of the pants on that suit. looks like a parachute.

I'd like something more like this type of cut http://modeboutique.blogspot.com/200...stym-suit.html

J Darnielle

Reaction score
With H&M, you're really trying for fit + style. They're hit or miss on durability, but since you probably won't be wearing it for more than a couple of seasons, you should be fine. I believe they're < $250.

Remember to allow ample time for alterations. If you buy an OTR and post photos, we can help make suggestions for tailoring.

By consulting the forum, you've probably already guaranteed that you'll be better dressed than 99% of your peers.

Good luck and have fun!

Jferg4350

Reaction score
Buy the one you really want and then just take it back after the dance
smile.gif
(although H&M is probably the best place to look for smaller sizes and slim cuts also the price isn't bad).

theom-

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by J Darnielle
With H&M, you're really trying for fit + style. They're hit or miss on durability, but since you probably won't be wearing it for more than a couple of seasons, you should be fine. I believe they're < $250.

Remember to allow ample time for alterations. If you buy an OTR and post photos, we can help make suggestions for tailoring.

By consulting the forum, you've probably already guaranteed that you'll be better dressed than 99% of your peers.

Good luck and have fun!

OTR = ?

jamesbond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You will have a hard time finding 36's at most places. I think H&amp;M and Banana Republic are some of the only retailers that stock this size, they should both be fine for what your looking to spend. You won't find anything slim fitting/modern at department stores.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads