Hot Chicks with Douchebags

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Bradford, Jul 21, 2006.

1. Quirk

Quirk Senior member

What puzzles me more than what is represented on the website (IME, some women are just attracted to guys like that), is when you see a completely ordinary looking guy with an incredibly hot woman (you almost never see the reverse). This weekend I saw a guy getting off the train. He was about 5'8" and had a little paunch. He wasn't ugly, but he was just sort of ordinary looking. He was also arm-in-arm with an absolutely drop dead gorgeous blonde who was way out of his league in the looks department. I say, more power to him, but I'm always left wondering, "exactly how did that happen?"

That's because even though lots of hot women are NOT superficial bimbos who only go for guys with money and looks, a lot of 'average' guys stereotype them women that way, so they don't even bother trying. And then it's mostly the guys who happen to be good looking who have the confidence to ask them out. Then people see them together and assume they're both superficial snobs who only date beautiful people. [​IMG]

The question is why are so many 'average' guys intimidated by beautiful women?

2. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

That's because even though lots of hot women are NOT superficial bimbos who only go for guys with money and looks, a lot of 'average' guys stereotype them women that way, so they don't even bother trying. And then it's mostly the guys who happen to be good looking who have the confidence to ask them out. Then people see them together and assume they're both superficial snobs who only date beautiful people. [​IMG]

The question is why are so many 'average' guys intimidated by beautiful women?

I think you answered your own question... because they're average. They don't think there's anything special about themselves so why would a hot woman go out with them when she could go out with someone that's her equal? Men forget that women don't think like us.

3. mr_economy

mr_economy Senior member

What puzzles me more than what is represented on the website (IME, some women are just attracted to guys like that), is when you see a completely ordinary looking guy with an incredibly hot woman (you almost never see the reverse). This weekend I saw a guy getting off the train. He was about 5'8" and had a little paunch. He wasn't ugly, but he was just sort of ordinary looking. He was also arm-in-arm with an absolutely drop dead gorgeous blonde who was way out of his league in the looks department. I say, more power to him, but I'm always left wondering, "exactly how did that happen?"

Odds are it was one, or both, of two things: either he has tremendous amounts of social proof (wealthy, well-known, etc.), or he did something unusual and didn't get caught up on her good looks. Good looking women are used to being fawned over, and when you treat them just like any ordinary person it piques their curiosity.

Looks have much less to do with attraction that we assume - psychology is much more powerful.

4. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

The first reason is the most likely. Looks-independent is probably less likely than deep-seated insecurity on the part of the more attractive partner. Physical attractiveness is not independent of other traits. (Familiarity, however, can modify perceptions of physical attractiveness, and most people want to be valued for personality.)

Disparity in attractiveness is associated with disloyalty. If people are "programmed" not to pursue those much better looking than they are, that probably is the main reason. He or she who spends years on the wrong person faces major reproductive penalties. Call it a form of opportunity cost. There also can be costs to the ego, reputation, and so forth from a failed pursuit. (The Internet removes many of those costs, and so men make more attempts in online dating, research shows.) Also, people tend to segregate themselves socially according to status (largely beauty and wealth), making certain approaches unlikely.

Finally, consider that "physical attractiveness" is a vague term that easily can be influenced by clothing and exercise. Facial attractiveness is harder to modify, although (mostly for women) makeup can make a big difference. This is a convoluted way of saying that men often are right to be wary, for many "hot" women are making deliberate attempts to influence others with their looks.

5. Quirk

Quirk Senior member

I think you answered your own question... because they're average. They don't think there's anything special about themselves so why would a hot woman go out with them when she could go out with someone that's her equal? Men forget that women don't think like us.

I agree more or less, though I have a slightly different take on it -- it's not that these guys might not have a lot of strengths and accomplishments -- it's just that they've let themselves fall into a crippling way of thinking regarding women: that if they don't fit some ridiculous stereotype, no matter how successful they are, they have no chance with a hot woman. Everytime they wonder "how did SHE end up with HIM?", they reinforce that mindset. One of my oldest friends is one of the hottest women I know, and she's married to a math professor. He handsome, but no male model, smart and interesting guy, but relatively shy and unassuming, and certainly not raking in the cash. How did he end up with her? Why not?

As for this particular website, where these guys seem to be 'dbags', I'm not sure those supposedly "hot" women are people you'd want to spend time with either. At least vertically. [​IMG]

6. Aus_MD

Aus_MD Senior member

I like it the sexy womens

Do you like it the trolling?

7. Oddly Familiar

Oddly Familiar Senior member

wow look at this guys outfit.

[​IMG]

It scares me that someone would go out in public like that. The chick isn't much better off either.

8. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

[​IMG]

It scares me that someone would go out in public like that. The chick isn't much better off either.

Looks like he's trying to pull off a semi Miami Vice outfit but failing miserably.

9. DNW

DNW Senior member

wow look at this guys outfit. http://img103.imageshack.us/img103/2...112beltlx7.jpg It scares me that someone would go out in public like that. The chick isn't much better off either.
    He looks like Don Lapres, the get-rich-quick guy you see on late night informercials. [​IMG]

10. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

He's definitely much more attractive than that. You know, honestly, this website and this thread both seem dedicated to Hot Chicks With Guys That Are Not Me.

11. Quirk

Quirk Senior member

[​IMG]

She looks almost skanky and wasted enough to be Whitney Houston.

12. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

He's definitely much more attractive than that.

You know, honestly, this website and this thread both seem dedicated to Hot Chicks With Guys That Are Not Me.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

13. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Sized Down 2

You know, honestly, this website and this thread both seem dedicated to Hot Chicks With Guys That Are Not Me.

So the formula, then, would be "Guys That Are Not Me" = "Douchebags"?

That sounds about right. [​IMG]

14. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

This sour grape mentality is so prevalent. Of course the guy must be a jerk/jackass/fill-in-the-blank because he's with an attractive woman. Those who are married, be happy with who you are with; afterall, you married your wife. Those who are dating somebody but desires someone "hotter," get off your ass and do something. Those who are neither of the above and gripe about douche-bags online, well, I just feel sorry for you.

15. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

I was kind hoping this thread had actual pics of chicks with douchebags. I was never really into that sort of thing but one never knows?[​IMG]