• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hot and Sour Soup

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is probably my favorite thing to eat that I can't make a decent reproduction of. Does anyone have any good recipes? I'm sure many of you AZNs had mothers that just rocked this stuff out.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
It's pretty simple, you can approximate it with most of the recipes online, I've found. Standard chicken broth (make your own homemade Asian chicken broth with leeks, ginger and a touch of rice wine if you're a perfectionist,) pork, tofu, canned bamboo shoots julienned, jew's ear mushrooms (forgot the alternate name for these, apologies,) shiitakes if you have them, and soy sauce, ginger, and lots of ground white pepper, szechuan pepper if you have it, corn starch slurry and beaten egg at the end, I think a little sesame seed oil, can't remember now. I like mine with both green onions and cilantro to top.

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
It's pretty simple, you can approximate it with most of the recipes online, I've found. Standard chicken broth (make your own homemade Asian chicken broth with leeks, ginger and a touch of rice wine if you're a perfectionist,) pork, tofu, canned bamboo shoots julienned, jew's ear mushrooms (forgot the alternate name for these, apologies,) shiitakes if you have them, and soy sauce, ginger, and lots of ground white pepper, szechuan pepper if you have it, corn starch slurry and beaten egg at the end, I think a little sesame seed oil, can't remember now. I like mine with both green onions and cilantro to top.

Yeah I love green onions on top. You don't happen to have a link to a good recipe? All the ones I seem to find don't look good.

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have this awesome recipe from some Chinese cookbook from the 60's. I've tweaked it a bit over the years, but its so much better than that goop you get at the cheap china places. The only place I have ever really had anything close is at places in 'chinatown' which makes me think my recipe is unique. I need to find it, and scan it in.

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jgold47
I have this awesome recipe from some Chinese cookbook from the 60's. I've tweaked it a bit over the years, but its so much better than that goop you get at the cheap china places. The only place I have ever really had anything close is at places in 'chinatown' which makes me think my recipe is unique. I need to find it, and scan it in.

I'd appreciate that. There are a few places that have such awesome stuff that I know I'll never be able to match it.

changy

Reaction score
Are you refering to the cheap chinese restaurant restaurants or thai version? The thai version is a million times better.

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
start bugging me in a couple of days if I havent done it yet.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by randallr
Yeah I love green onions on top. You don't happen to have a link to a good recipe? All the ones I seem to find don't look good.

I don't use recipes for this sort of stuff really, but look at this and disgregard the ratios for seasoning, just look at the ingredient list and then make it in order to taste:
http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/chines...up/Detail.aspx

Changes from that recipe, don't use red wine vinegar, that sucks, use rice wine vinegar for this. Much sharper sour note and a better backbone for this kind of soup.

Another New Yorker

Reaction score
They should make an instant version of this stuff like chicken noodle soup. Is there such a thing?

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Another New Yorker
They should make an instant version of this stuff like chicken noodle soup. Is there such a thing?

Yes. For a fact I know that there are some Japanese instant versions (most contain crab I think) and then on the Chinese market side, I'm sure there are more than plenty. It'd be easier than ramen. Hot n sour soup is standad throughout Asia.

Another New Yorker

Reaction score
Yes. For a fact I know that there are some Japanese instant versions (most contain crab I think) and then on the Chinese market side, I'm sure there are more than plenty. It'd be easier than ramen. Hot n sour soup is standad throughout Asia.

Where would one find something like that. At any Chinese marketplace? Living in New York, there are an ample number of those.

M. Bardamu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Major ingredient missing: red vinegar

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't use recipes for this sort of stuff really, but look at this and disgregard the ratios for seasoning, just look at the ingredient list and then make it in order to taste:
http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/chines...up/Detail.aspx

Changes from that recipe, don't use red wine vinegar, that sucks, use rice wine vinegar for this. Much sharper sour note and a better backbone for this kind of soup.

Typical bad boy ****.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads