• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hosting parties

Bouji

Reaction score
I often (about three weekdays a week) host small gatherings in my apartment in the evenings, as I live in Central London, and most of my co-workers live further afield. The fact that I am a (young) widow (although curently in a pretty serious relationship) adds to it.
I usualy keep a at least 12 bottles of champagne on hand, as females, and also men who like to pose, enjoy it. I also keep on hand Jonnhie Walker Black Label, various ages of Macallen, which I and most of my close friends drink, in both sherry cask and fine oak. apart from that, on and off I have Burgundian or Italian wines, Havana Club rum and cheap gin and vodka.
Somehow I don't feel like I'm catering to all tastes. I would keep beer, because its cheap and easy, but my girlfriend does not like me drinking it, and if she sees it in the fridge, I never hear the end of it. I also don't really have vodka often, because I don't personaly drink it, but people often ask for it... I would buy it, but I don't like to think that I am just buying it for the sake of other people, who I don't know well at all...
Is there any easy solution?
Also, close friends often arrive before the rest, and we end up ordering delivery, but I never serve food in a proper manner. Considering that the gatherings often last from about 7pm untill 2am, I feel bad not serving food to the rest, but at then end of the day I'm doing it for my own enjoyment; I'm not trying to run a soup kitchen... If I served cheap food, it would not really do wonders for my reputation, plus I don't trust random people, because I have expensive furniture...

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Don't know what to tell you about the food - but you should definitely stock vodka. A party is never for just the host - it is for the guests. If you do not like random guests do not invite them, but I do think vodka is a staple of any party. I would go so far as to say that it is the most important liquor to have stocked. Something not too expensive like Smirnoff should do if you are looking to not spend a lot. I don't know how your crowd feels about beer in general, but beer is a winner at parties because it is high bang for the buck. The downside is cleaning up the bottles/cans.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bouji
I often (about three weekdays a week) host small gatherings in my apartment in the evenings, as I live in Central London, and most of my co-workers live further afield. The fact that I am a (young) widow (although curently in a pretty serious relationship) adds to it.
I usualy keep a at least 12 bottles of champagne on hand, as females, and also men who like to pose, enjoy it. I also keep on hand Jonnhie Walker Black Label, various ages of Macallen, which I and most of my close friends drink, in both sherry cask and fine oak. apart from that, on and off I have Burgundian or Italian wines, Havana Club rum and cheap gin and vodka.
Somehow I don't feel like I'm catering to all tastes. I would keep beer, because its cheap and easy, but my girlfriend does not like me drinking it, and if she sees it in the fridge, I never hear the end of it. I also don't really have vodka often, because I don't personaly drink it, but people often ask for it... I would buy it, but I don't like to think that I am just buying it for the sake of other people, who I don't know well at all...
Is there any easy solution?
Also, close friends often arrive before the rest, and we end up ordering delivery, but I never serve food in a proper manner. Considering that the gatherings often last from about 7pm untill 2am, I feel bad not serving food to the rest, but at then end of the day I'm doing it for my own enjoyment; I'm not trying to run a soup kitchen... If I served cheap food, it would not really do wonders for my reputation, plus I don't trust random people, because I have expensive furniture...

You should stock vodka if for no other reason than to have them go easy on the champagne!

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Stock vodka and beer. By 2 or 3 bottles of not expensive (but good) vodka like Svedka and 24 or so beers. At the end of the party most of the beers will be gone and maybe half a bottle of vodka. Keep the vodka in the freezer and stick the beers in some cabinet so your girlfriend doesn't have to look at it.

By the way what's her problem with beer?

Bouji

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
By the way what's her problem with beer?

She feels it is a drink linked to the 'lower classes'.

TheIdler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would keep beer, because its cheap and easy, but my girlfriend does not like me drinking it, and if she sees it in the fridge, I never hear the end of it.

Tell her if she doesn't let you have beer, you will look for something else cheap and easy.
rimshot.gif

Seriously, +1 on the vodka, and don't stress about the food. If you don't specify it's a dinner party, your guests should be cool about fending for themselves.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hmm...

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Like how some people feel about denim?

"Jeans are associated with minorities, drug addicts, slobs, every alternative movement since the 70s, and cowboys, and I feel that, for a person of refinement (and here I am speaking of refinement of more than clothing,) jeans are not even considered. I feel that, for the thinking man, who looks back in history and understands the origin of blue jeans, there will be no other conclusion but to forgo them.

I just do not understand how someone who on any level resents what jeans symbolize can at the same time mindlessly slip on a pair, knowing at the same time that they can be completely displaced by other types of pants, which do not have the tainted antecedents of cowboys and frontiersmen (who were usually lower-class, poor, and possibly in exile,) that blue jeans do."

Bouji

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
Like how some people feel about denim?

yes.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Learn to make cocktails and make a menu (PDF), like I have. I do stock vodka but have not used it in a few months of entertaining. As there are very few vodka drinks on the menu, guests don't order it.

Bouji

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
Learn to make cocktails and make a menu (PDF), like I have. I do stock vodka but have not used it in a few months of entertaining. As there are very few vodka drinks on the menu, guests don't order it.

That's very impressive, and I would certainly use this idea when I am hosting gatherings for clients and people I know less well, but when it is my close friends and work colleagues, I feel handing out menus would be strange.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have to say, girlfriend or not, if someone tried to dictate the contents of my fridge based on some sort of curious elitism (and rather historically unfounded elitism at that) I'd probably tell them to piss off.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Honestly, when we have friends over it is to enjoy the company and not to attempt to impress with either our drinkmaking skills (of which we have little) or our stock. People are just free to drink what they like assuming it is in the house and we will usually open a bottle of champagne. I would say that the split is usually 50% champagne and 50% beer. Occassionally a couple people want some sort of whisky or mixed drink and we attempt to make them happy.

If I were throwing a party and wanted to serve drinks like th eones Kent lists, I would hire a bartender. I have no interest in spending my time with friends mixing drinks.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
If she has a problem with beer, simply buy "barley wine".

Seriously, 2am three nights a week with co-workers? I need to get a job there.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I have no interest in spending my time with friends mixing drinks.

Some people enjoy mixology though, and it can be fun with a small group of friends if everyone's involved suggesting new recipes and such.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads