1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Horsehide vs. Shell Cordovan? ...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by cmeisenzahl, Nov 12, 2010.

1. cimabue

cimabue Senior member

Shell splits if lasted too tightly (openly acknowledged). Otherwise, it has many remarkable qualities and is nearly indestructible in a shoe. I get the feeling you're not understanding horsefront versus shell. What is your point?

2. NHorween

NHorween Active Member

@Fishball - We grade the shells based on cuttable area. If the imperfection is a slit only then we may have left it in place depending on where it was located. You can always exchange/return uncut leather, though this doesn't sound too problematic to me.

@cimabue - thanks!

@bengal-stripe - Mr. Gaziano makes beautiful shoes, no question about that. But, I will say that I'm confused by most points from that quote. Our shell cordovan tops out at about 2.4mm, and does breathe well. There is also no treatment on the surface of the shell - just aniline stain/dye. I wonder if he tried shell from a different tannery? To me, it isn't rustic either, but I am most assuredly biased.

Shell is tricky to work with - it doesn't take to hard lasting or high heat.