1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Horsehide leather briefcase from mw-traveler: comments?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by srivats, Oct 8, 2009.

1. srivats

srivats Well-Known Member

I am liking these bags more and more.

I found some used steerhide mw-traveler pre-production bags on ebay ... they looks super nice with some wear on it. Take a good look at the pic below showing the gussets.

If my bag looks anything like this with use, I am going to be *very* happy:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. dcg

dcg Well-Known Member

Looks excellent and appears to be very well made. I'll be in the market for something similar in the near future so I look forward to your report.

3. srivats

Shaun wrote to me today saying that my bag has been delayed for a bit. I am in no hurry, so it is OK with me,

I found these two pics online of the quick release, and I really like the idea of snaps:

The snaps themselves:
    [​IMG]

The quick release action:
    )imo the best solution so far, compared to saddleback's 3rd strap or customhide's hiddle buckle)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. srivats

And here is a pic of the regular (ie non-laptop) case showing the space inside:

[​IMG]

5. srivats

I recieved my briefcase from mw-traveler. Thought I'd post some pics and do a mini review. I am EXTREMELY happy with the bag.

The bag totally oozes quality, with full grain horsehide used everywhere (all linings). The color is so rich and has the same depth of color as shell cordovan. Stitching is top notch and the leather is just outstanding. The hardware used is excellent and the quick release is just beautifully executed. With the snap buttons, you push on the bottom and it comes open in a second - no fidding with button snaps or buckles or clasps. They did a great job with this one.

The laptop comparment padding is great as well. Comfortably fits in a 15" laptop, and the bottom part of this compartment has extra thick, stiff padding. The pockets in the back comfortably hold a cellphone and a calulator - it would be good for a blackberry/iphone as well. There is a zip in the backside of the laptop compartment (brass zip) that runs full length of the case - useful for storing small things.

I'll let the pics do the talking, if you have any questions, please ask.
    (color in pics is very true to life)

PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE THE PICS WHEN YOU REPLY

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Well-Known Member

Sri, that looks awesome. I bet it'll look 10x better in a year or two. We have the same floor... [​IMG]

7. srivats

Sri, that looks awesome. I bet it'll look 10x better in a year or two.

We have the same floor... [​IMG]

Thanks Moo ... I can't wait to start (ab)using this, my search for a briefcase is finally over.

8. ManofKent

ManofKent Well-Known Member

Looks very nice - QR looks solid.

9. srivats

Looks very nice - QR looks solid.

Thanks MoK ! You should post some photos of your scholar case, I'd love to see how it is aging.

10. Mentos

Mentos Well-Known Member

I recieved my briefcase from mw-traveler. Thought I'd post some pics and do a mini review. I am EXTREMELY happy with the bag.

The bag totally oozes quality, with full grain horsehide used everywhere (all linings). The color is so rich and has the same depth of color as shell cordovan. Stitching is top notch and the leather is just outstanding. The hardware used is excellent and the quick release is just beautifully executed. With the snap buttons, you push on the bottom and it comes open in a second - no fidding with button snaps or buckles or clasps. They did a great job with this one.

The laptop comparment padding is great as well. Comfortably fits in a 15" laptop, and the bottom part of this compartment has extra thick, stiff padding. The pockets in the back comfortably hold a cellphone and a calulator - it would be good for a blackberry/iphone as well. There is a zip in the backside of the laptop compartment (brass zip) that runs full length of the case - useful for storing small things.

I'll let the pics do the talking, if you have any questions, please ask.
    (color in pics is very true to life)

I'm looking hard at either the straight briefcase or the laptop bag. My concern is that the laptop bag will be too bulky for day-to-day commuting (I don't carry a laptop), and the briefcase too small for short trips where I carry a laptop, power cord, and a notebook or two (I have something big for serious business travel).

Do you think the laptop bag is small enough that it won't be a pain carrying around 3/4 empty, on a cramped subway, etc.? If it's not too bulky, I'll just buy it and enjoy the spare capacity. If it is, I'll go with the smaller bag -- less versatile, but better for daily use.

11. mm1212

mm1212 Member

Thanks for posting about this briefcase. I can't find much written up about these guys but the bags look great and durable. I might pull the trigger on one of these soon.

12. srivats

Thanks for posting about this briefcase. I can't find much written up about these guys but the bags look great and durable. I might pull the trigger on one of these soon.

You are welcome ... if you do buy them, post your comments here.

13. Dob

Dob Well-Known Member

Mine just arrived the other day - also the brown laptop version. Just as Srivats has said, the bag is a very quality piece and I am extremely pleased with it. You can see already how well it is going to break in and look with use. Stitching is great, leather is awesome. Not to start another long diatribe but in no way (at least in my opinion) does a Saddleback even hold a candle to this product. Two different leagues, if you ask me.

I am really pleased with it and will post some pics soon. It is a great blend of a classic flap-over look but less formal than some of my flap-overs which looked a little pretentious depending on my dress. The leather has just enough structure to look like a traditional bag but is not so rigid and again, you can see how nice it will age and break-in. If you are considering this bag - I could not recommend it more (and I am pretty picky). Thanks, Shaun!

14. srivats

^ Dob, very glad to hear your report. Thanks for sharing - please do post pics if and when you find time.

My bag is breaking in really beautifully. I love this shade of leather.

Nick Horween's comments on the mw-traveler bag:

http://horween.wordpress.com/2009/12...-m-w-traveler/

15. Dob

Dob Well-Known Member

Have finally gotten around to taking a few pics of the bag. It is breaking in nicely and it is clear that the more it is used, the better it will look.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Well-Known Member

17. srivats

Dob, thanks for posting the photos. Your pics are way better than mine!

I have had the bag for a month now, I'll take some pics to show how the bag is breaking in.

18. rossi

rossi Well-Known Member

19. Reevolving

Reevolving Well-Known Member

Great bag !

That reminds me, I want a limited-use "social/weekend" briefcase (in a lower price point!)
    Currently I use a backpack but want to upgrade to something more stylish (yet not too stiff/formal)
    I don't need it for work, and don't need it to last forever.
    Just something to carry a book when I am making the rounds.

What do you think of these 3 options?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. srivats

^ You might want to look at www.customhide.com

None of the bags above look good to me.

What is your budget?